• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you want your kids to have their own camp knife, take a look at the Mora Eldris.

This little blade is awesome for creating tinder for a fire and then sparking a ferro rod. It also works wonderfully for other small camp tasks and coarse whittling/wood working. It's on the small side for food prep, but gets the job done.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I say a Mora along with a hatchet. Beating on a knife just goes against my soul, if you absolutely have to that's one thing but when better tools are available, use them! Moras are cheap enough to have spares, sharpen easily, and will do just about any normal knife task without any problem.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    ESEE Junglas has been my camping, kindling getting, wood spliting knife for 5+ years. Great tool and used as such! Today I get to finally test out their warranty department. Took a swing at a piece of wood, blade stuck, handle kept moving...

2bZPhMV.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    ESEE Junglas has been my camping, kindling getting, wood spliting knife for 5+ years. Great tool and used as such! Today I get to finally test out their warranty department. Took a swing at a piece of wood, blade stuck, handle kept moving...

2bZPhMV.jpg
    no worries they’ll replace it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

2bZPhMV.jpg

BLADE ABUSER! :xmad:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I use a Mora Companion Carbon and a homemade chopper fashioned from and Ontario 12” machete. (I re-profiled the tip and modified the handle for grip, along with giving it a convex edge). I use the Mora for smaller camp stuff, and Getuda Choppah for bushcraftiness.

I could use either one for survival should I need to, just different skillsets based on their abilities. If I was smart I should probably just get a beefier mid-size blade like an ESEE or Busse.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Thank you all for the great ideas. I was told Saturday that we are going to Tennessee at the end of March. I figured I could wait till then and sneak out one morning and go see what Smokey mountain knife works has.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I usually use a folder but for cooking and camp chores like wood carving and cleaning a fish a standard Mora works decent. No biggie if it gets lost, left behind, or falls in the drink. High vis color is nice.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Some thoughts on camping blades:
    [video=youtube;M5KERgi5cYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5KERgi5cYs[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I generally use a folder (my EDC). I keep a filet knife in my tackle box. Rarely have I had need for a hatchet since I typically find two trees close together, or with a fork in them to break my firewood to length. Anything I can't break gets burned in half and then "fed" into the fire as each end burns off. I also have a folding Cattaraugus "survival knife" that I use for cutting roots or small saplings if they interfere with where I want to set up my tent. If I were to pick a fixed blade "sheath knife", I'd go with my Cattaraugus 225Q.

Survival knife:
    iu

Cattaraugus 225Q:

iu

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I generally use a folder (my EDC). I keep a filet knife in my tackle box. Rarely have I had need for a hatchet since I typically find two trees close together, or with a fork in them to break my firewood to length. Anything I can't break gets burned in half and then "fed" into the fire as each end burns off. I also have a folding Cattaraugus "survival knife" that I use for cutting roots or small saplings if they interfere with where I want to set up my tent. If I were to pick a fixed blade "sheath knife", I'd go with my Cattaraugus 225Q.

Survival knife:
    iu

That is the largest butter knife I've ever seen. :):

Is that one of those South American or island village made bush knife things?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is the largest butter knife I've ever seen. :):

Is that one of those South American or island village made bush knife things?
    No, it was made by Cattaraugus (from NY I think). It was originally intended as a pilot survival "machete". WWII era... It's really handy. Mine doesn't have the sheet metal blade guard. Those are almost as expensive as the knives themselves if you can find them.

https://iknifecollector.com/forum/topics/the-aaf-folding-machete

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I think I have seen those in some knife collectors book somewhere. If they ever made a switchblade version it would break your wrist.

Top Bottom