• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My family and I have been trading at an Indy area gunshop since old Bob opened it a long time ago...My brother stopped by since it was convenient ,after leaving Stout Field today,and went into the secondary shop where holsters and ammo are sold. While looking at a holster and wondering whether it would fit a certain weapon ,the clerk (and,yes that is all you are Sir) said to bring it in and try it out.My brother replied that he was carrying the weapon and would not unholster a loaded weapon to test a holster.At this point little Hitler DEMANDED that he leave and come back when he was unarmed...What kind of fool are you? Do you really believe that no one is going to carry deep concealed in your place of business? We do most of our shopping in Plainfield anyway. We may have too many wannabe LEOs working at gun shops!

"Wannabe leo's"? What does the story have to do with that? I think most insurance carriers dictate the no guns policy for shops. In many ways it is a sound policy. Anyone that has worked at any kind of gun store for long can give you some horror story's. And I think common sense would tell most people that if you carry in a gun shop against their policy (me) you dont let it be known.

Of course I tend to think this was probably more of the way the clerk said what he said than what he said.:twocents:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Little too chatty?Thinking out loud? Brain Fart (trying to explain that you do not want to go to the trouble of going outside and clearing the weapon?) I have always assumed that people working in gun shops would KNOW that a lot of concealed weapons go in and out unseen! We do not need to be lectured by the overzealous...
    Don't do stupid things (like announce you're armed in a place where you're asked to be unarmed [by policy, and not by law]) and you don't face stupid consequences.

It really is as simple as that.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Don't do stupid things (like announce you're armed in a place where you're asked to be unarmed [by policy, and not by law]) and you don't face stupid consequences.

It really is as simple as that.

Here is another idea! Lets seek to educate gun shop owners and employees to the fact that they are in very little danger of accidental death or injury when a firearm is lawfully carried in a holster in their place of business!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Here is another idea! Lets seek to educate gun shop owners and employees to the fact that they are in very little danger of accidental death or injury when a firearm is lawfully carried in a holster in their place of business!
    You can't teach those who wish not to learn, but have fun with that.

First, however, I think you'll have to somehow train every gun owner the four basic rules as well as not to bring in a loaded firearm for service and never to coonfinger a loaded gun.

Once you can be 100% sure that under no circumstances will the average idiot do something stupid with a loaded firearm in the store - then gun store workers will likely relax.

The moment I hear somebody say, "Ah, I carry [insert gun name here]!" **Sound of firearm being unholstered** **magazine dropping** "Here, check it out! Isn't that sweet! I just unloaded it!" **followed by loud bang**. You may be surprised how many people think that simply dropping the magazine means the firearm is unloaded and 100% safe under any and all circumstances.

While I would like to think us enthusiasts are smarter than this, there are certainly those out there who are not. While I have no issues with them carrying loaded in the holster, they're much more likely to unholster in the middle of a gun store than say, the steak house or Wal-Mart to show off their firearm or to ask questions about said loaded firearm.

And no, I do not nor have I ever worked for a gun shop but I do visit them enough to understand why signs that say "NO LOADED FIREARMS!" are posted. If you really think it applies to your concealed weapon then feel free to disarm yourself before entering. If you're smart, you'll just keep it concealed and keep your mouth shut because you're not one of the idiots that scare them.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While I would like to think us enthusiasts are smarter than this, there are certainly those out there who are not. While I have no issues with them carrying loaded in the holster, they're much more likely to unholster in the middle of a gun store than say, the steak house or Wal-Mart to show off their firearm or to ask questions about said loaded firearm.

And no, I do not nor have I ever worked for a gun shop but I do visit them enough to understand why signs that say "NO LOADED FIREARMS!" are posted. If you really think it applies to your concealed weapon then feel free to disarm yourself before entering. If you're smart, you'll just keep it concealed and keep your mouth shut because you're not one of the idiots that scare them.

Why do Gander Mountain and Dicks not have any problems? They have signs that ask you to keep it holstered, but don't attempt to disarm you. Why not just tell people to keep it holstered and then kick out the ones who ignore that rule?

And, frankly, saying "Just carry concealed! Ignore the sign and just don't tell the owner you're carrying!" is bad advice. I should not have to hide my shame when I enter a gun shop of all places, carrying against the owner's express wishes. If the sign "isn't really meant for me", then it's a poorly-worded sign and should be changed so that it reflects who it's actually directed towards.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    People who work in the firearms industry face by far their greatest risks as they drive to and from their places of employment. I believe that weapons are drawn more than you might think in dressing rooms and bathrooms in businesses every day. If we are not careful we will perpetuate the falsehoods espoused by our enemies of the Second Amendment. It gives me a good feeling to know that in Indiana there are many people adding to the security of my family by carrying!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    "Wannabe leo's"? What does the story have to do with that? I think most insurance carriers dictate the no guns policy for shops. In many ways it is a sound policy. Anyone that has worked at any kind of gun store for long can give you some horror story's. And I think common sense would tell most people that if you carry in a gun shop against their policy (me) you dont let it be known.

Of course I tend to think this was probably more of the way the clerk said what he said than what he said.:twocents:

I'd like to see an actual policy as a poster further up said, more likely it is probably advice from a lawyer. Some stores have signs and some do not so is it the insurance companies who are the villains here, who does Bradis and PSS have their insurance with? I worked at the busiest highest volume shop in MI for ten years and many of those after the shall-issue law and I don't have any horror stories about customers, other employees though are a different story. I don't know where the wannabe LEO thing came from either, if you work in a gunstore and carry you want to be a cop??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

THIS!!! Has got to be one of the SCARIEST, most DEPRESSING Photos ever posted on INGO.... :runaway:

The last pic of old you know who is really scary. She is depressing enough to look at with out seeing her "Coon" finger a deadly, self absorbed, self motivated killing machine.
    She is demonstrating by her own mis-guided and un-trained actions why guns are dangerous.............It is People stupid. Or is that stupid people.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Citation, please. I hear that claim all the time but have never seen any proof to back it up.

I cant give one as I dont run a gun shop. But my buddy that owns Westside loan has been jacked with a few times over simular although different policys. Perceived liability I think.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I'd like to see an actual policy as a poster further up said, more likely it is probably advice from a lawyer. Some stores have signs and some do not so is it the insurance companies who are the villains here, who does Bradis and PSS have their insurance with? I worked at the busiest highest volume shop in MI for ten years and many of those after the shall-issue law and I don't have any horror stories about customers, other employees though are a different story. I don't know where the wannabe LEO thing came from either, if you work in a gunstore and carry you want to be a cop??

I worked part time at a gunshop for a while. I had plenty of goofs come in with loaded guns that they though were empty. I lost count of how many people I saw sweeping others with muzzles ect. There are tons of idiots out there that own guns that have no clue about firearms or firearms safety. Not even the most basic common sense firearms rules.:twocents:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I worked part time at a gunshop for a while. I had plenty of goofs come in with loaded guns that they though were empty. I lost count of how many people I saw sweeping others with muzzles ect. There are tons of idiots out there that own guns that have no clue about firearms or firearms safety. Not even the most basic common sense firearms rules.:twocents:

Maybe it's an Indiana customer thing then :dunno: So the signs in your experience would be ineffectual anyway and just punishes the good guys if people still came in with loaded guns.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Maybe it's an Indiana customer thing then :dunno: So the signs in your experience would be ineffectual anyway and just punishes the good guys if people still came in with loaded guns.

I find it odd that someone with any gun shop time don't have any horror stories. Signs-It doesn't punish anyone. I carry no matter where I go. But I don't broadcast it either. The signs might be a lawyer thing to mitigate potential liability.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Until it's illegal (here's hoping not anytime soon) I will carry wherever I go whether there's a sign or not.

If I don't pull it out and wave it around or coonfinger it (I understand there are idiots that do this with loaded guns) then you have nothing to say.

That being said, you won't know I have it on me to begin with. I always have a concealment holster in the car in case I'm going somewhere that's not carry friendly (like, say, Bradis or Toys 'R Us). I prefer to OC, but will CC if need be.

There's no way I'm leaving my firearm in my car (out of sight or not) and going in somewhere unarmed unless I'm required to by law.

I agree, though I'm not going to leave my firearm in my car without me in it period. If I am going somewhere that I can't take it in with me (school, Gov't building, etc.) then it doesn't go with me or I don't go there. But I do agree, that in a service related business, an employee has no business whatsoever berating a customer. Not if they want business. I have been poorly treated and seen others treated poorly and in all cases never returned to that place of business. I have never treated a customer poorly, not even when he/she was being an idiot that deserves it. I have been firm in my resolve, but never berated a customer. It sets a bad example and will drive away some business somewhere. And I don't want to be responsible for driving business away FROM MY BOSS. If he wants to that's HIS option, not mine.

Just my $.02 :twocents:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Wannabe LEO? We all knew that" guy"in school...Usually does not make it past a psychological evaluation to actually be in law enforcement,but still has a great desire to be an authority figure.You know him too,Right?? Security guard mindset...(I mean the ones who REALLY enjoy their jobs.) Probably drives an old trade-in police cruiser with lots of antennas.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I find it odd that someone with any gun shop time don't have any horror stories. Signs-It doesn't punish anyone. I carry no matter where I go. But I don't broadcast it either. The signs might be a lawyer thing to mitigate potential liability.

Maybe I just got lucky :) It also may be based on ones definition of a horror story. Having an ND in the store would be a horror story to me, having a customer come in with a gun to sell that happened to still be loaded would not be. I'm not scared of loaded guns, the first thing I do is check them anyway. If it was loaded I would unload it and watch the resultant embarrassment on the customers face and drive on. Probably the biggest horror story I ever saw was when someone came in dressed in a deer costume followed by someone with a commercial grade video camera trying to tape. Still not sure if that was PETA or what that agenda was about :dunno:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Wannabe LEO? We all knew that" guy"in school...Usually does not make it past a psychological evaluation to actually be in law enforcement,but still has a great desire to be an authority figure.You know him too,Right?? Security guard mindset...(I mean the ones who REALLY enjoy their jobs.) Probably drives an old trade-in police cruiser with lots of antennas.

Maybe they become Drill Sergeants instead, reminds me i've got to get my crown vic in for an oil change. :):

Top Bottom