• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Maybe I just got lucky :) It also may be based on ones definition of a horror story. Having an ND in the store would be a horror story to me, having a customer come in with a gun to sell that happened to still be loaded would not be. I'm not scared of loaded guns, the first thing I do is check them anyway. If it was loaded I would unload it and watch the resultant embarrassment on the customers face and drive on. Probably the biggest horror story I ever saw was when someone came in dressed in a deer costume followed by someone with a commercial grade video camera trying to tape. Still not sure if that was PETA or what that agenda was about :dunno:

What was the general reaction in the your store? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Maybe I just got lucky :) It also may be based on ones definition of a horror story. Having an ND in the store would be a horror story to me, having a customer come in with a gun to sell that happened to still be loaded would not be. I'm not scared of loaded guns, the first thing I do is check them anyway. If it was loaded I would unload it and watch the resultant embarrassment on the customers face and drive on. Probably the biggest horror story I ever saw was when someone came in dressed in a deer costume followed by someone with a commercial grade video camera trying to tape. Still not sure if that was PETA or what that agenda was about :dunno:

Yea I got ya. I never saw a ND but plenty of loaded guns. I am not scared of loaded guns either but people like that really concern me. Some of them don't have a clue and require being watched at all times until the thing is cleared.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What was the general reaction in the your store? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

People didn't know what this was about. It was during hunting season and the deer character had on hunter orange but that person or the cameraman didn't say anything but tried to come in and was waving. The cameraman got really belligerent when asked to leave though. We had to basically shove them out of the store. My thought was what was Michael Moore up to? This was before filming of Bowling for Columbine and his homeown was only up the highway a few minutes. Could have been some PETA nuts looking to get a rise or to get footage of our inventory.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Ok, I read all 14 pages.

1) I wish I had that time back.
    2) Simple solution to immediate situation was "Uh yeah, be right back", unload in car and carry back in.
    3) I carry but I don't remove it from the holster because stores are often small and too crowded to find a safe direction to point while unloading.
    4) If I need to show them a firearm (repair, acc, etc) then it is unloaded and in a case (with another in a holster).
    5) If I thought an LGS really didn't want me to carry in the store, then I would spend my money elsewhere. 6) Wink, wink, nudge, nudge is sometimes just a sad necessity.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    People didn't know what this was about. It was during hunting season and the deer character had on hunter orange but that person or the cameraman didn't say anything but tried to come in and was waving. The cameraman got really belligerent when asked to leave though. We had to basically shove them out of the store. My thought was what was Michael Moore up to? This was before filming of Bowling for Columbine and his homeown was only up the highway a few minutes. Could have been some PETA nuts looking to get a rise or to get footage of our inventory.

It takes all kinds. :rolleyes: By my sense of humor it would have been funny to see the reaction if a couple of guys yelled out "a deer, shooooot iiiiit!!". But I'm a little warped that way. :D

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Why do Gander Mountain and Dicks not have any problems? They have signs that ask you to keep it holstered, but don't attempt to disarm you. Why not just tell people to keep it holstered and then kick out the ones who ignore that rule?

Because their business is not primarily guns. I carry, but I don't patronize Dick's or GM for guns and ammo. When I've been to D's for stuff, it's been football gear for my nephew, shoes, or stuff for my son.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Because their business is not primarily guns. I carry, but I don't patronize Dick's or GM for guns and ammo. When I've been to D's for stuff, it's been football gear for my nephew, shoes, or stuff for my son.

What difference does it make if their business is primarily guns or not? They still sell all of the same guns and accessories. People are just as likely to unholster at the gun counter at GM as anywhere else. Regardless, the fact that they also sell fishing rods doesn't change their insurance policy or their lawyer, as some people in this thread have suggested.

No, I still maintain that the signs on LGS's are a misguided marketing attempt by management. The number of "gun waving" stories and "I'm going to just conceal and not say anything" stories proves that the signs are CLEARLY ignored by everyone except the people who care to honor the business owner's wishes (the one group of people you'd WANT to have as customers), so why not take the sign down and simply kick out the people who are endangering others? Having the signs makes no logical sense whatsoever, and nothing in this thread or any other has come even close to convincing me otherwise.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Maybe this gun store should practice what they preach... If they sell guns designed for conceal carry and holsters they are promoting concealed carry.
    If they do not allow conceal carry in their store and offer those products they would be hypocrites.

I 100% understand the "No loaded guns unholstered" or "All loaded guns must be holstered" Policy. You do not want someone bringing a loaded gun in for service and accidentally firing while unloading (It does happen) but come on to tell someone you will sell them a gun, a holster and bullets but dont assemble them and bring them back in is just hypocritical.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Scutter's responses are exactly how I feel. "Gun Free Zones", even if they are gun shops, are prohibiting my right to self defense, if i actually bought from those places. So, to ALL gun shops that are PROMOTING "gun free zones" (an anti 2nd amendment practice)... I, and a few others on this thread, encourage you to change your policy to read something along the lines of "keep loaded weapons holstered". That way I can continue to defend myself, even after i enter your doors.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What difference does it make if their business is primarily guns or not? They still sell all of the same guns and accessories. People are just as likely to unholster at the gun counter at GM as anywhere else.
    I'll agree with your assumptions. It matters because the guy shopping for fishing poles has zero reason to unholster his 1911.

Have you SEEN the amount of gun business Gander does. Outdistances most LGS's.
    Amount of business doesn't matter. How would you like to see any grocery store closed on Sunday or election day just because they can sell booze? Core business matters with respect to zoning, code, and licensing. Why is it so hard to believe it would matter with insurance policies?

I don't know why places like Bradis put up their signs. I can only speculate. Just like everyone else in this thread is doing. I'm fairly certain it's related to liability. Whether it's required by their insurance, or under their atty's advisement I couldn't say.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    ALL LOADED WEAPONS MUST REMAIN HOLSTERED......Somebody make up some big high quality signs stating this,and I am willing to take them to locations that have incorrect policies!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Why do Gander Mountain and Dicks not have any problems?
    I'm sure they've had their fair share of people unholster loaded weapons just like any other location that sells firearms. They're more of a big-box-chain and they're much less likely to spot your stupidity.

To make a quick example - go into Dick's and walk to the middle of the store, unholster, and point it straight up. Stand there for 2 seconds, then holster and walk away.

Now do the same thing in any of your local gun shops...

Which do you think is morel likely to notice and to take quick and concise action to resolve the 'situation'?

All of that said, I don't patronize either companies enough to answer beyond what I've said above. Maybe they do have problems with it, maybe they don't - I don't know.

They have signs that ask you to keep it holstered, but don't attempt to disarm you. Why not just tell people to keep it holstered and then kick out the ones who ignore that rule?
    I suppose because it's their shop, and they can run it how they want? Would it make you feel better if the sign said "Please, no open carry."?

And, frankly, saying "Just carry concealed! Ignore the sign and just don't tell the owner you're carrying!" is bad advice.
    You have these options:

1. Don't patronize the establishment.
    2. Patronize, but follow their rules by disarming.
    3. Patronize, but don't follow their rules by not disarming (OC and be asked to leave/disarm).
    4. Patronize, but don't follow their rules by not disarming (CC, and keep it that way).
    I won't judge you for which you choose - you can do what you want, and I'll do what I want.

I should not have to hide my shame
    I do not consider concealing my firearm to patronize a location that would otherwise ask me to leave if I were OC to be 'shameful' but simply prudent.

While we would all love to walk around and do things on principal alone, such as not patronizing establishments that do not permit OC, I pick and choose my battles. I'll gladly conceal my firearm to go into the baby store with the wife - not because I feel shameful, but simply because I am not going to be disarmed simply to go into the store or hassled while in the store to either disarm or leave.

I mean honestly, I have CC and OC holsters and I use all of them depending on my attire and the situation. While I can walk around all day OC there are times I choose not to and that is ultimately up to me.

If the sign "isn't really meant for me", then it's a poorly-worded sign and should be changed so that it reflects who it's actually directed towards.
    I would agree that if the sign is up it should be the rule with no exceptions but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and there are exceptions to almost everything.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'll agree with your assumptions. It matters because the guy shopping for fishing poles has zero reason to unholster his 1911.

Same for the guy shopping for guns. There is no reason to unholster your carry weapon while in a gun store unless you're about to shoot someone.

If you're shopping for a new holster, then it should already be unloaded and made safe and a different gun should be your carry.

If you just can't help yourself and you have to show off your loaded carry gun to all your idiot friends, then you should be kicked the hell out of the store for being a moron.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Same for the guy shopping for guns. There is no reason to unholster your carry weapon while in a gun store unless you're about to shoot someone.
    While we, as reasonable and intelligent gun owners, agree that there is no reason, this does not stop those less reasonable and less intelligent than us from doing so.

Should the smart people suffer due to the actions or in-actions of the stupid? No. Unfortunately this is the real world and the real world isn't 'fair'.

If you're shopping for a new holster, then it should already be unloaded and made safe and a different gun should be your carry.
    Again, something a reasonable and intelligent gun owner would realize. I'd say 'common sense' even, but we all know that 'common sense' is getting less and less common these days.

If you just can't help yourself and you have to show off your loaded carry gun to all your idiot friends, then you should be kicked the hell out of the store for being a moron.
    Indeed, however, they have a business to run and at the end of the day they'd rather disarm said moron before they walked in and potentially sell them something than deal with it after-the-fact and potentially losing a sale over it... Or even getting a big long nasty thread on INGO like this one about how they were asked to disarm after admitting out loud that they were very clearly choosing to ignore the posted rule.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While we, as reasonable and intelligent gun owners, agree that there is no reason, this does not stop those less reasonable and less intelligent than us from doing so.

Should the smart people suffer due to the actions or in-actions of the stupid? No. Unfortunately this is the real world and the real world isn't 'fair'.

This just proves how useless, pointless, and illogical having a sign is.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Yep...The real world is not fair,therefore we must punish the sane,careful and logical to "protect" the general public as well as private enterprise from itself ! We DO need an AWB after all! Common sense is more common among those who choose to be armed to protect themselves and their families.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom