• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Put me down in the "from God" group. If there is no God then we only have the rights that society agrees we should be entitled to have. That can change whenever enough of a majority agrees to do so.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Let's make it simple.. whether you believe in God or not..

Our rights belong to us from birth. We have a right to be happy, to live life, to pursue happiness, to defend ourselves from ANY tyranny.. among other things that free and independent persons are entitled to by simply being born and human.

We don't need a piece of paper to give that to us. We, as citizens of the United States, have a piece of paper that outlines the limits of OUR governments limits on what they are allowed to do (and not do) when it comes to the totality of their powers. They are not allowed to infringe on our rights. The piece of paper, is simply a guarantee that the government that we designed (the people, the founding fathers) can not, and WILL not take away our rights as long as we are free spirited, like minded individuals, willing to stand up and push back if the government gets too powerful or over steps it's boundaries.

Sorry for lack of paragraph breaks and such. You get the idea.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Our rights belong to us from birth. We have a right to be happy, to live life, to pursue happiness, to defend ourselves from ANY tyranny.. among other things that free and independent persons are entitled to by simply being born and human.

We don't need a piece of paper to give that to us. We, as citizens of the United States, have a piece of paper that outlines the limits of OUR governments limits on what they are allowed to do (and not do) when it comes to the totality of their powers. They are not allowed to infringe on our rights. The piece of paper, is simply a guarantee that the government that we designed (the people, the founding fathers) can not, and WILL not take away our rights as long as we are free spirited, like minded individuals, willing to stand up and push back if the government gets too powerful or over steps it's boundaries.

I could not have said it better.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    I was taught that rights were something that should be defended - for ourselves and for others. If something was a right, defending that right for someone else was almost demanded. Even if that person was expressing their right in opposition. Those were the days when freedom of speech was taken seriously - before "political correctness" took over and people gave up that right.

I think that many confuse rights with privilege, to the demise of all. I don't think we have a right to healthcare, happiness or much of the nonsense presented as a "right."

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton

ALL of what he said......and give that a HELL YEAH!!! ON top.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Put me down in the "from God" group. If there is no God then we only have the rights that society agrees we should be entitled to have. That can change whenever enough of a majority agrees to do so.
    IF there is no God (creator) It brings into many questions about the Constitution. The Founders recognized the fact that there are certain "so called" rights... lets visit one of those ideas. If you are a individual...lets say in the middle of a field.... out west...or where ever. and suddenly another person approaches you and attacks you to steal your water, food etc. (for the pourposes of illustration) who has 'given you the "right" to Protect yourself against that threat? It could be legitamately argued that you were born with that "right" to defend yourself against any threat. That is one of the most powerful Constitutional 'rights" that we still enjoy, I mean compared to other countries of the world.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    IF there is no God (creator) It brings into many questions about the Constitution. The Founders recognized the fact that there are certain "so called" rights... lets visit one of those ideas. If you are a individual...lets say in the middle of a field.... out west...or where ever. and suddenly another person approaches you and attacks you to steal your water, food etc. (for the pourposes of illustration) who has 'given you the "right" to Protect yourself against that threat? It could be legitamately argued that you were born with that "right" to defend yourself against any threat. That is one of the most powerful Constitutional 'rights" that we still enjoy, I mean compared to other countries of the world.

Well, since no one has ever actually spoken to God or Jesus to ask their views on the subject, what we say are our "rights" is a creation by man. In the end, we determine our own fate and how live live on this planet. We have determined that, AS HUMAN BEINGS, we have certain rights. Nothing magical about it. Our rights certainly didn't come from the Bible.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

I am also a believer in God (and don't want to turn this into a religious derail) but I don't believe we should isolate those that do not believe. Our rights are ours by the divine nature of being alive. Animals defend themselves as well. It's the whole 'good vs evil' analogy.

IF there is no God (creator) It brings into many questions about the Constitution.

I disagree. The founders were believers, but they also recognized an individual's right to observe any religion they wished (or no religion if they so choose)

rbsangler said:
    The Founders recognized the fact that there are certain "so called" rights... lets visit one of those ideas. If you are a individual...lets say in the middle of a field.... out west...or where ever. and suddenly another person approaches you and attacks you to steal your water, food etc. (for the pourposes of illustration) who has 'given you the "right" to Protect yourself against that threat? It could be legitamately argued that you were born with that "right" to defend yourself against any threat. That is one of the most powerful Constitutional 'rights" that we still enjoy, I mean compared to other countries of the world.

Basically, I believe it's like this.. as a FREE PERSON (and I mean every person in the world) we are individual and we can and will choose to be ourselves. This individuality is what makes us who and what we are. We can speak our minds (because we can), we can observe any religion that we would like (or none), etc.. what prevents others from trampling on these rights is the right to self defense. If someone comes at you and decides to trample on your free speech (and gets violent) defend yourself. If someone becomes violent with you over your choice of religion, defend yourself. Make sense ?

The right of the people to keep and bear arms gives teeth to everything else that humans are allowed to "be, have, and do" It's the checks and balances of everything else.

Evil exists (more rampantly now) because those checks and balances have been screwed with and trampled on for so long, there may not be hope for recovering.

For example.. if someone were armed and speaking their mind, would someone else really give them a hard time about what they were saying ? Would we engage in more respectful disagreements, polite dissention, and the like ? I believe so. The guns are the teeth that make sure we can be who we want to be (within reason).. and by 'within reason' I mean that we can't be vigilantes because there are others with guns that will defend themselves from us if we choose that path.

Our rights are ours regardless of religious or political bent. Regardless if there's a piece of paper or not. In a field, someone tries to be a bully and take away your bottle of water, you have a right to defend yourself. You don't need (or have) 'someone' or a piece of paper that allows it.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Well, since no one has ever actually spoken to God or Jesus to ask their views on the subject, what we say are our "rights" is a creation by man. In the end, we determine our own fate and how live live on this planet. We have determined that, AS HUMAN BEINGS, we have certain rights. Nothing magical about it. Our rights certainly didn't come from the Bible.
    Did the very first (assuming that you will not argue that there was never a first) human being have the right to defend themselves? Did they have the right to life? The answer is most definitely yes. Who do you suppose "Gave" them this right? I have to insist, as I said before, that this is a right they had by simply existing. You're correct, its not magical....it just is. (Whether you believe in god or not) (ie. Creator). If you have issue with this fact, I would say that you have issue with the entire Constitution and it is probably worthless as a whole document in your eyes, that's your choice.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Did the very first (assuming that you will not argue that there was never a first) human being have the right to defend themselves? Did they have the right to life? The answer is most definitely yes. Who do you suppose "Gave" them this right? I have to insist, as I said before, that this is a right they had by simply existing. You're correct, its not magical....it just is. (Whether you believe in god or not) (ie. Creator). If you have issue with this fact, I would say that you have issue with the entire Constitution and it is probably worthless as a whole document in your eyes, that's your choice.

No, they didn't have rights. The concepts wouldn't be invented for another 90,000 years.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    No, they didn't have rights. The concepts wouldn't be invented for another 90,000 years.

If the second person tried to take food from the first person, would first person have the right to keep what's rightfully theirs ??

Its a basic concept that has existed since the beginning of time
    Just because humans didn't necessarily decide to vehently defend the rights until much later in time doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Just saying.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Nonbelievers tend to get hooked on insignificant things. When it is said that our "Creator" granted our rights it can be anything you believe created us. It does not have to be the One true God, it can be magical fairies or two monkeys getting freaky in a tree.

That's it, our rights came from monkeys... And Darwin. :laugh:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    "Endowed by our Creator..."

In other words, "born with."

By virtue of being human, you have certain Natural Rights. They may be taken from you, but not legitimately.

You don't have to believe in a supernatural being to believe you are born with rights.

All humans have the same rights. Some are just born into places where more or less of their rights have already been stolen.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    "Endowed by our Creator..."

In other words, "born with."

By virtue of being human, you have certain Natural Rights. They may be taken from you, but not legitimately.

You don't have to believe in a supernatural being to believe you are born with rights.

All humans have the same rights. Some are just born into places where more or less of their rights have already been stolen.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom