What new rifle will you purchase if/when HB1231 passes into law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    As mentioned before, I have no problem with them all being legalized. I just don't want people to be under the impression that every .300 will be legal, go out and spend a thousand on a rifle, only to have the Legislature clean up this bill as an Indiana General Assembly insider has alluded to and their rifle is not legalized.

Good. Let's lobby to get it done. Because I don't want to go out and spend a grand to buy a .300 Win. and Junk my .300 Weatherby because Rep. Steele didn't know it was about the same. Let's all look and act like we're "reading and learning".

Last edited:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Easter bunny brought me a savage 111 trophy hunter in 300 win mag. Along with some black hills 190gr hpbt ammo. If it is still legal to use for deer I'll use it, if not I've got one hell of a coyote rig.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Good. Let's lobby to get it done. Because I don't want to go out and spend a grand to buy a .300 Win. and Junk my .300 Weatherby because Rep. Steele didn't know it was about the same. Let's all look and act like we're "reading and learning".

No need to lobby (I know your post was sarcasm), as the bill's author has already realized what happened. Every year the Legislature holds a one-day session where they clean up confusing bill language and vote to override any vetoes. We don't know 100% if they will clarify this bill, or leave it as written. Only time will tell. I sincerely hope that they do allow them all and yours will be legal, but you have to admit that it's only fair to warn others of the possibility before purchase.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The hunting guide will list it exactly as the bill reads when the regs go to print, however it reads. It's been said that the DNR will be in contact with the Legislature.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    The hunting guide will list it exactly as the bill reads when the regs go to print, however it reads. It's been said that the DNR will be in contact with the Legislature.
    Sorry, but that guide is just a "digest" of the law and doesn't have the effect of law. It's lower than I.A.C. which is the government's interpretation of what it thinks the law is. I am not looking forward to reading what that booklet says unless they happen to get it right. Other posts have mentioned the DNRs opposition to the whole matter of rifles, so I don't think waiting is worth much. YMMV

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    No need to lobby (I know your post was sarcasm), as the bill's author has already realized what happened. Every year the Legislature holds a one-day session where they clean up confusing bill language and vote to override any vetoes. We don't know 100% if they will clarify this bill, or leave it as written. Only time will tell. I sincerely hope that they do allow them all and yours will be legal, but you have to admit that it's only fair to warn others of the possibility before purchase.
    Sorry, I have purchased all of my rifles without regard to what some politician had in mind. The whole matter of limiting rifles with similar effectiveness is offensive to sportsmen. I'm getting too old to argue with some CO over the law and something written in a Hunting Guide. But, I agree let's all color within the lines!

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I'm going to use my old Model 94 30-30 but I'm planning on getting my grandson a Ruger American in 243. Ok I admit it I'll shoot the 243 too but not for deer.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Sorry, but that guide is just a "digest" of the law and doesn't have the effect of law. It's lower than I.A.C. which is the government's interpretation of what it thinks the law is. I am not looking forward to reading what that booklet says unless they happen to get it right. Other posts have mentioned the DNRs opposition to the whole matter of rifles, so I don't think waiting is worth much. YMMV

The guide will read as the law is written. If the law stays as currently written, then the guide will say all cartridges of those calibers are legal. If the bill is changed to add suffixes, then the guide will list exact cartridges. Nothing more, nothing less. They can't act on their own this season, but can next year through the administrative process.

Others have said that the DNR offered advice on this bill before it ever passed, but I myself have no proof. I do know that the DNR never publicly opposed it.

Top Bottom