What paper target to you use at the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What kind of target do you use at the range to practice with your defensive handgun (EDC gun/home defense gun)?

Bullseye types?

circle.jpg

IPSC type?

IPSC_Paper_15836_m.gif

Silhouette type?

eze-scorer-paper-targets_lo.jpg

Picture or drawing of a bad guy type?

51TG6aLjggL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Internal organs type?

champpic40731-400x400-500x500.jpg

Other?

square.jpg

If you can post a picture of the target you are using.
    It can be a homemade target too.

:ingo:

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I use a Bullseye type, or a square grid "other" type for pretty much any shooting, except soda can or steel spinner plinking with .22s...

I like the Shoot N C style targets, in Bullseye or Grid for easy visibility of hits.

shoot%20n%20c.jpg

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For rifle shooting at 200yrds I use standard NRA bullseye. For 50 yrds I like the sillohettes or the free targets I can print, and shoot and see's when I have them.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Last time I went I used paper plates, some I drew a circle on tracing a soda can others I just put a dot for a reference point. Makes it really convenient for getting practice with hit one target avoid the other, as well as move from one target to the next. Also they run about 100-200 targets for $2-3
    mGXbOTvTJPgsWgLBw6O3NYG3REWXxCpfVuDQ7s52weWTjH6FsWEMNMmS8mw2ES0AobaC9_ZXJcOqr8oS8_6mwy_0dnxVnBI7mNhgSwuN3JKi_KIrdmxepN7Tg788n5N-7ReC0IJxz5MoaJ-CQBMcbmXH7rCKhxV0j4_DubMBJKAsQ7KV3wXqGlNiJ0ym2y_H-IVjZV4NDqnbCEQH2LJXpJ-ABRKJlBi5ttbbD0U

When it comes to SD practice, hitting the paper plate means being able to hit center of mass. When it comes to practice for competition hitting the smooth part is about equivalent to a steel plate, and not to far off from the "X" plus the "9" ring on the silhouette targets.

I like them for good cheap and pretty effective targets, I'll pick up whatever special is on sale in Gander or Walmart if I want something bigger or to serve a scorable purpose.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If I can’t use steel I use IPSC targets for general practice, and blank paper or cardboard with 1/2 inch sticker dots for accuracy intensive drills.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    For my defensive handgun, I sometimes plain paper plates for a target. Put in your first shot and try to follow it.

Most times I use braced cardboard cutouts (in a upper body shape) dressed in old clothes. No visible aiming point, take your shot at the person.

If I am feeling creative, I draw lungs/heart on the cardboard shape before covering with clothes.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another paper plate shooter here. Plates are roughly the size of "center of mass", so a hit is a hit. They are super cheap, too.

My wife likes the shoot-n-sees. Pretty colors. :rolleyes: I like them more for rifles, since you can see a hit a bit easier without a scope.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I generally use paper plates. I keep a sharpie in my range bag, so I can draw x's or smiley faces or something on them.

Occasionally I'll use a Shoot n' See sight-in type target (the kind with 5 bulls) when I'm trying to be somewhat serious.

I do like the idea of a gnome target though.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I only use the Tacticool paper targets .
    They are around 12 inches in diameter and the ones you miss (If any)
    can be used to hold whatever you brought with you to Munch on durring breaks:D

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Awhile back someone posted some addresses for printable targets. I visited those sites and downloaded a couple of hundred different target patterns. I sorted through them and found the ones I liked the best and put them in a separate directory. After that a silhouette was posted. I downloaded it, cut it into nine page sized pieces. I even downloaded the organ silhouette from the original post in this thread, which I've also cut into nine pieces to print full sized.

Seems the age of computers has generated more scrap paper than I ever had before computers. I just let the scrap stuff collect on a shelf under the printer then when I need targets I print a few on the backs of the scrap.

When I go to Wally-World to get ammo I also pick up three or four tri-fold school project boards. I cut the folding parts off, tape 'em together and wind up with twice as many target backers as project boards I started with. When I print up targets I tape them to the project boards.

Right now I have two soon-to-be-dead terrorist/bad guys waiting for a range visit.

Silhouettes.jpg

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I use any target that has 1" squares marked on it for sighting in the weapon. Makes it quicker to do.

Top Bottom