What paper target to you use at the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    By the way, anyone who wants the files for my nine page silhouettes, PM me your email address. I have a zip of each set. The individual files are jpgs that need to be adjusted to full page size and positioned for printing.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When I was a member at Atlanta (several years ago), after tear down of a USPSA match I'd go around and collect the no shoot and lightly shot targets from each bay... then I just had to take some tape with me to cover the holes! then the no shoots (or painted targets) I'd just turn around. Same thing with IDPA targets also. What ever is free or cheap. My uncle use to bring home 10" cardboard disks that they would recycle by the 1000's, used a lot of those too. Looked like a small pizza tray.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    For handguns I use Birchwood Casey 8" Dirty Bird splatter targets, cause even at only 7 yards my old eyes need all the help they can get.

For my rifle at 25 and 50 yards I use this target with 4 added flourescent dots in the corners.

IMG_0926.jpg

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I bought 500 a-26 small bore rifle targets, and when my wife is with me we put a splatter target on the top bull for her

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Man, you guys go all out! :eek:I guess I'm just cheap.:dunno:

Generally my targets include whatever cardboard I have around with a spray painted black dot in the middle. These are c-clamped to a stand I made out of some old scrap wood.

Recently though, I have upgraded to putting some plastic torso and head targets on the stand that a retired LEO gave me. I then buy a pack of "peel-off-and-stick" envelopes from Dollar General (50 cents/100), take a magic marker and make a 3" square on them, stick them on the targets and have at it. When I've effectively blasted a hole so large the envelopes can't stick in the middle, I put a new plastic target up. I've got seven left.

Also, right now I'm getting real fancy with targets for deer season. I placed a cardboard box (probably 36"x24) 60 yards out and put a bucket with some rocks in it to anchor it down. Been having a lot of fun with my 629 getting ready for season.:cool:

Sometimes I make myself laugh with the stuff I do. I refuse to buy actual targets and assure that I'm casting and loading at 50/$4.00 that I might shoot my cheap ammo at my cheap targets with a $650 revolver:laugh:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Staple online printed target, to a sheet of contrasting construction paper, to a wood or card board back stop! 4 or 5$ you have a variety of shoot n see targets.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I use a trick I saw at a Suarez Class. Sheet of computer paper. Then buy a pack of shoot -n- see dots. It's like $4 for a pack of 500. Then stick a single dot in the center of the computer paper. Dirt cheap, great aiming point, chest sized paper shows good or bad hits.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    If you are into self defense try something different if you have the chance. Hang a t-shirt over the target. It will make you think of the type of target you could be shooting at in case of self defense. Shooting at paper plates or bullseyes are great for accuracy but shoot at something more realistic is a good change of pace.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are into self defense try something different if you have the chance. Hang a t-shirt over the target. It will make you think of the type of target you could be shooting at in case of self defense. Shooting at paper plates or bullseyes are great for accuracy but shoot at something more realistic is a good change of pace.

That's a good idea, I thought about doing that with 3D targets and clothes but those things are like $60 a piece.

Top Bottom