• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to answer all questions.

Currently I carry a Sig X-5. It's big and heavy. Think a 226 with an extra inch of barrel and all stainless.

I'd love to shoot everything on my list but I don't know anyone with the M&P, CZ, or FN. Especially the CZ. That is the one I want to shoot the most. I have yet to see any of these at the NWI group shoots as well.

I don't like Kimber as a company and they won't get a buck from me. I'll have to look at the Wilsons.

The FNX has a hammer as far as I can tell. I agree though, I do like having a hammer on my pistols. The holster thing isn't an issue, I'm almost set up to make anything with kydex. Furthermore I LOVE the FNP 45 but I'm looking into 9mms right now.

So far the biggest detractor from each pistol:
    CZ- No threaded barrels, can't shoot it because no one has one
    M&P-None that I can tell
    FNP/FNX-No threaded barrel, No one has one near me

Given that you carry an X5, your best option would be a gun with a single action trigger since that would be the most similar to what you have now.

Further, I know you do not want other suggestions than what you asked about, but I cannot not do it. That being said, I think the CZ, the M&P and the FN all have their pluses. If you like the FNP45, the FNX9 will be a good choice, given the similar function and ergonomics. Further, I have seen at least one person claim that a FNP9 threaded barrel will work in the FNX (see: Ok so I have my EFK FNP threaded barrel for my FNX 9mm now. :: FN Forum.NET)

For the CZ, in theory you could order a gun through their custom shop and have it converted to SAO, like the X5. I have a friend with a CZ custom shop gun with a SA trigger and it is sweet, sweet shooter. Great trigger, like a tuned 1911.

I have no experience with the M&P, but they have a fine reputation and if you can find one to shoot and like it, then it would be a solid choice.

Finally, two other suggestions. These are my off list ideas. Sorry.

One, consider the STI GP6 or GP6C. This is a DA/SA gun, but you can carry it cocked and on safe to shoot it in SA only. Dillon Precision posted a review in the Sept. 2010 issue of their Blue Press mag that was very positive and the reviewer raved about the trigger.

See: http://www.bridleandbit.net/ebooks/bluepress/bluepresssep10/sep10/object_files/main.swf (look at page 10 and 11).

Finally, one gun that you might consider is the X5 Tactical. Basically the same trigger (albeit not adjustable) and identical ergonomics as the all steel, 47.5 oz. X5. However, the tactical is 12 ounces lighter and 35 ounces compares semi-favorably to the CZ (29 oz.) or the FNX9, M&P and Glock (all 24ish).

For the record, I have no idea if you can get a threaded barrel for the STI or the X5.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

posttal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    Glock 19 here..Small enough to be used for CCW if needed but big enough to enjoy at the range.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Only detractor I know of to the M&P is the magazine disconnect. Will not fire without a mag in place. You can remove it though...

None of my M&P's have the magazine disconnect. You simply have to know which models have it and which ones don't it you would rather not have it. The main reason that some models have it is that it is a requirement for quite a few LE contracts.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    None of my M&P's have the magazine disconnect. You simply have to know which models have it and which ones don't it you would rather not have it. The main reason that some models have it is that it is a requirement for quite a few LE contracts.
    It's engraved on the slide as a caution if it doesn't have a mag disconnect, too.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Given that you carry an X5, your best option would be a gun with a single action trigger since that would be the most similar to what you have now.

Further, I know you do not want other suggestions than what you asked about, but I cannot not do it. That being said, I think the CZ, the M&P and the FN all have their pluses. If you like the FNP45, the FNX9 will be a good choice, given the similar function and ergonomics. Further, I have seen at least one person claim that a FNP9 threaded barrel will work in the FNX (see: Ok so I have my EFK FNP threaded barrel for my FNX 9mm now. :: FN Forum.NET)

For the CZ, in theory you could order a gun through their custom shop and have it converted to SAO, like the X5. I have a friend with a CZ custom shop gun with a SA trigger and it is sweet, sweet shooter. Great trigger, like a tuned 1911.

I have no experience with the M&P, but they have a fine reputation and if you can find one to shoot and like it, then it would be a solid choice.

Finally, two other suggestions. These are my off list ideas. Sorry.

One, consider the STI GP6 or GP6C. This is a DA/SA gun, but you can carry it cocked and on safe to shoot it in SA only. Dillon Precision posted a review in the Sept. 2010 issue of their Blue Press mag that was very positive and the reviewer raved about the trigger.

See: http://www.bridleandbit.net/ebooks/bluepress/bluepresssep10/sep10/object_files/main.swf (look at page 10 and 11).

Finally, one gun that you might consider is the X5 Tactical. Basically the same trigger (albeit not adjustable) and identical ergonomics as the all steel, 47.5 oz. X5. However, the tactical is 12 ounces lighter and 35 ounces compares semi-favorably to the CZ (29 oz.) or the FNX9, M&P and Glock (all 24ish).

For the record, I have no idea if you can get a threaded barrel for the STI or the X5.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

Great post here. Evidently I have to spread the rep around. I have 2 X-5 pistols and one is SAO (competition) and one is DA/SA (all around) but I usually carry the DA/SA. I know that barsto makes X-5 makes threaded barrels for the X-5.

My appeal to the CZ line is how low the slide sits. I get a VERY high ride when I shoot and I think this would be awesome. I have a CZ tactical sport and a EAA witness limited but they are both in .40 and HUGE. Furthermore the CZ has the lightest trigger I've ever felt. It's better than the X-5 triggers.

The M&P has too many good reviews to not give it a look.

The FN pistols I've shot felt good. Nothing to write home about but you aren't paying $1,500 for them either.

I'm just now starting to get into competitions and I would think one of these polymer pistols would be good to get my feet wet with before I start shooting limited or something. I'd like to shoot in ESP if I could. This is why DA/SA is a must as well.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've carried a number of 3rd Gen Glocks. Great guns. I've heard the new RTF texture on the 4th gen can eat up undershirts though.

I'm currently carrying an M&P, and I like it a bit better than the Glocks. Size is perfect, not compact, but smallish full-size.

Coming from the X-5, do you really want to go to a traditional DA/SA trigger? Especially for competition? IIRC, both IDPA and USPSA rules require a hammer down start for those. Seems like most people would prefer not to have that in a competition gun, judging from the predominance of XD/M&P/Glock "safe action" style pistols. I know I don't like it.

With all that in mind, I voted M&P.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I would say to check out the Sig 2022. They are easily overlooked but are very good polymer guns! I got one and its been flawless and accurate!

I've got a P250 and that's enough from Exter for me.

Kel-Tec P11 the pinnacle of firearms technology!
    Fixed it for ya.:cool:

I've carried a number of 3rd Gen Glocks. Great guns. I've heard the new RTF texture on the 4th gen can eat up undershirts though.
    Hmm. I tend to OC so this isn't huge issue for me if it eats up undershirts.:D

I'm currently carrying an M&P, and I like it a bit better than the Glocks. Size is perfect, not compact, but smallish full-size.

Coming from the X-5, do you really want to go to a traditional DA/SA trigger? Especially for competition? IIRC, both IDPA and USPSA rules require a hammer down start for those. Seems like most people would prefer not to have that in a competition gun, judging from the predominance of XD/M&P/Glock "safe action" style pistols. I know I don't like it.

With all that in mind, I voted M&P.

The X-5 that I used in a steel competition last weekend was a DA/SA and that is the same gun I carry. The DA pull on the first round isn't a huge issue for me. I'm not looking to win but use it as a training aid. I might want to be a gamer later, but for now I just want to get GREAT with what I carry. Problem is that X-5 AR is big and heavy.

I appreciate all the votes but I'm leaning towards the phantom. I love the bevertail and how low it sits in the hand. It just seems like you don't have to oversome physics (like I have to with the sig because it rides SO INCREDIBLY high in my hand) when shooting.

:ingo:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I appreciate all the votes but I'm leaning towards the phantom. I love the bevertail and how low it sits in the hand. It just seems like you don't have to oversome physics (like I have to with the sig because it rides SO INCREDIBLY high in my hand) when shooting.

:ingo:

Sounds like a good choice. Reasonably priced too. However, the CZ will only be IDPA legal in SSP. To shoot ESP, you need a gun that can be carried cocked and on-safe.

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    CZ is great, even though I have an M&P9 fullsize as my 1-size-fits-all. The ONLY downside to CZ for competition is you have to keep it in DA/SA. If comps would let you do condition 1, I'd be all over it. The SA trigger on CZ's is to die for imo.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I voted M&P simply because the support structure is better for it than for the Phantom. Were that not the case, I would have voted Phantom.

Top Bottom