• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'm considering jumping back into the polymer market. I carry a full size steel pistol all the time and I'm getting tired of this heavy thing sitting on my belt. I'd like to hear what the owners of these guns think. The only one I shot was the gen 4 and I'm not impressed at all. BUT, I can't leave the 17 out of the question. I plan on suppressing it some time too, so barrel options are important.

The following brands are not being considered:
    HK because they hate me.
    Unless the Sig came from Germany I don't want it.
    I'm too cool for a Hi-Point
    I don't like the XD grip saftey.

Please don't tell me they are all cool, I know they are.
    Please don't tell me to get something else, I'm not intrested.
    Please don't tell me you want one, so does everyone else.
    ;)

I'd love to hear anyone's experience with these pistols. Loads, accessories, sights, gunsmithing, or anything else.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    In spite of being a Glock guy, I'd recommend the M&P 9, primarily because you already said you weren't impressed with the Gen4 Glock. A lot of people have a lot of good things to say about the M&P offerings as well.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I shoot the M&P the best. Try as many on your list as you can and see what works best for you.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I chose the FNX even though I own FNP's. The FNX is much like the FNP45, only in 9mm and .40. Personally, I prefer a hammer on my pistols. I carry with the hammer down. I have shot a FNX9, and it ran great. There are not a lot of holster options, or aftermarket accessories for the FN's. I have fired a M&P 9mm pro, 9c, 40c, and .40. They are great guns, I just do not care much for striker fired platforms. There are a lot more holster options, and aftermarket accessories. Again, just my opinion. It comes down to what fits you, and what you shoot better.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to answer all questions.

Currently I carry a Sig X-5. It's big and heavy. Think a 226 with an extra inch of barrel and all stainless.

I'd love to shoot everything on my list but I don't know anyone with the M&P, CZ, or FN. Especially the CZ. That is the one I want to shoot the most. I have yet to see any of these at the NWI group shoots as well.

I don't like Kimber as a company and they won't get a buck from me. I'll have to look at the Wilsons.

The FNX has a hammer as far as I can tell. I agree though, I do like having a hammer on my pistols. The holster thing isn't an issue, I'm almost set up to make anything with kydex. Furthermore I LOVE the FNP 45 but I'm looking into 9mms right now.

So far the biggest detractor from each pistol:
    CZ- No threaded barrels, can't shoot it because no one has one
    M&P-None that I can tell
    FNP/FNX-No threaded barrel, No one has one near me

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you like the full size, Gen 3 Glock 34.

I would have said the M&P9, but it's stock trigger sucks balls.

It can be made VERY sweet with an APEX trigger job, but then you wouldn't want that for a carry pistol.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The M&P with an APEX kit is pretty much the zen of polymer pistols in my mind. Comfortable, reliable, points great, and fun to shoot. I'm thinking about complementing my 9c with larger sibling, maybe a 9L just for fun.

It can be made VERY sweet with an APEX trigger job, but then you wouldn't want that for a carry pistol.

Why not? The 5.5 lb pull of the DCAEK kit seems perfectly adequate for carry.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This!

mp40proseries.jpg

In 9mm of course.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Only detractor I know of to the M&P is the magazine disconnect. Will not fire without a mag in place. You can remove it though...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom