• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terp7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Muncie
    I am leaning towards a S&W Airweight 642, but I don't have my heart set on anything yet. I just know that I want a small snub nose to conceal while I'm out walking my dogs.

Any recommendations? Advice?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I love my 642...

That said, if you're new to handguns, an airweight snub-nosed revolver doesn't make for a good beginner piece / only handgun. They have a HIGH felt-recoil quotient, and a very stiff double action trigger that makes hitting your target all that more difficult.

They are fantastic little revolvers, though.

-J-

Terp7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Muncie
    I love my 642...

That said, if you're new to handguns, an airweight snub-nosed revolver doesn't make for a good beginner piece / only handgun. They have a HIGH felt-recoil quotient, and a very stiff double action trigger that makes hitting your target all that more difficult.

They are fantastic little revolvers, though.

-J-

I'm an HK girl, but I'm getting more selective about what occasions I like to carry my PSP out in. I have an assortment of guns and rifles, but no revolvers. I did think that the trigger felt stiff when I was looking at the 642, but to be honest most of the other revolvers felt the same way.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm an HK girl, but I'm getting more selective about what occasions I like to carry my PSP out in. I have an assortment of guns and rifles, but no revolvers. I did think that the trigger felt stiff when I was looking at the 642, but to be honest most of the other revolvers felt the same way.

A girl after my own heart! Not many know what a PSP is! Tried to Rep but I'm out. :yesway:

OP, you might want to look at the S&W Mod 60 or 36 or the Colt Detective Special. Both are small snub nose revolvers with hammers. TheSmith is a smaller 5 shot and the Colt is a little larger but is a 6 shot. Both are well made and durable revolvers. :twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I am leaning towards a S&W Airweight 642, but I don't have my heart set on anything yet. I just know that I want a small snub nose to conceal while I'm out walking my dogs.

Any recommendations? Advice?

Have you considered a Taurus version? I carry the Taurus version (Taurus International Manufacturing Inc) and it has given me zero problems. THey make a hammerless model if that's what you want too. I don't think it's necessarily better, but at one point it was a lot [STRIKE]cheaper[/STRIKE] less expensive to go with the Taurus model than the S&W. But I haven't priced a revolver for ages, so that may or may not hold true anymore.

Just throwing it in the ring.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    I have a Taurus that works great. It has a hammer and the trigger pull is just fine. I've owned a 642 before and they are GREAT guns but do have a hefty recoil to a newbie.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    ruger security 6 .357 magnum, then use 38 special +p speer gold dots. Thats what my dad uses anyways...

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Ruger LCR.

Better off the shelf trigger than any stock DAO S&W. Lighter than my 442 and less felt recoil.

Seems people miss the lcr all too often when looking at wheelguns.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will list my three choices. Any of these would serve you well.

The Smith & Wesson 642 is an excellent choice. I would call this the standard by which hammerless revolvers are judged.

I am really impressed with the Ruger LCR. I agree that the trigger is the best of the lightweight revolvers. IMO it also has the most managable recoil.

Taurus 850 is another solid choice in this market. I currently carry an 850 Ultra-Lite. Like other variations of the Model 85 I have found this one to be a good shooter.

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I REALLY like the Ruger LCR .38. Mine has the Hogue Tamer grips and the XS big dot front nite site. I carry Gold Dot hollow points in it, in a nemesis pocket holster. That and a HKS speedloader or speed strip and you're good to go.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is what a painful-to-shoot S&W 632 looks like:

P6010308.jpg

Carries fantastically IWB in a High Noon Holster Split Decision model or a Mika pocket holster.

"Carry a lot, shoot a little" is this gun's niche.

-J-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I'd shoot one before I bought it.

I once bought a heavier Colt snubbie for a gal I know (~ 30 yrs ago). Six shots later and she refuses to ever fire it again... and hasn't. She's slightly recoil sensitive.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Rule of thumb: A gun that's comfortable to carry is not always comfortable to shoot at a practice range. A gun that's comfortable to shoot at the practice range is not always a comfortable gun to carry around every day.

Meaning, a gun that's light enough to carry comfortably can be (somewhat) painful to shoot at the range and a gun that's comfortable to shoot at the range may be too heavy for comfortable daily carry.

Me, I split the difference with the Ruger SP101 in .357mag. It's heavy enough to absorb a bit of the .357 mag's recoil but is darn comfortable while shooting .38+P's. It's comfortable enough (light enough) to carry in a OWB holster or on my ankle. It fits well in a jacket pocket but not so well in a pants pocket. The best part, is that it has a pinned-in front sight so you can install a Tritium front night sight, if you so desire, without having to have a gunsmith modify your front sight.

Best...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom