What should I look for in a concealed carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Get a G19 and a G26, that's what I did. G17 mag fits in both.

Danni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    Seymour
    Great post and suggestions! I just recently got my lifetime permit and bought a small .22 for my very firsr gun and have taken a few NRA classes. I'm thinking the next gun I want to buy is a S&W 1911 pro series. Anyone have any comments or suggetions??

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Everyone's different...so your preference and comfort with a particular gun and/or style should reflect what you shoot best with...for a first carry gun! I often recommend Glock for a first pistol...because of how simple they are to use...but it's not always everyone's first choice! I suggest the following:

First...find a gun that's comfortable in your hand...something that feels 'natural' to you! (Ex.: I have small hands....so I tend to lean towards smaller-framed handguns.)

Two...chose something that is a good personal-defense caliber, preferably something 9mm or larger.

Three...shoot it and shoot it a lot! 300+ rounds just to get used to a gun...1,000+ rounds to develop a degree of proficiency!

Four...play around with and choose a defensive carry holster. (I prefer OWB 4:00 position holster...they're just comfortable to me!)

Five...take a class...then another class...and train, train, train.

Six...select a good personal defense round in the caliber of your choice. (Ex. Recently I switched from .40 to 9mm and I prefer 115 grain JHP CorBon's in my G-19 9mm! Lately, I've been buying from Littlestone's Ammunition...very nice stuff!)

Seven...and this is the most important point...your MIND is more important than your gun! The gun is a LAST RESORT in dealing with conflict...it may get there fast...but it is still the last!

Good luck...and enjoy!

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I'll second the guy who said the S&W M&P Shield is a great gun. If you're ok with 7-8 round capacity, it's a great gun. I've never had a malfunction in almost 1000 rounds. It's comfortable to shoot and accurate to boot. I think the ideal situation would be to have a bigger gun and a smaller gun in the same caliber depending on where you're carrying and what you're wearing. I'd like to get a G17 or G19 for more capacity as another option. But I won't sell the Shield. As for holsters, I highly recommend Henry Holsters (amhenry on INGO). Very high quality, sensible design. For a review on INGO see https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...review-henry-holsters-hybrid-iwb-holster.html I just got an appendix IWB holster from him for the Shield and already have a regular IWB holster. I like them a lot. Also, the Wilderness Tactical belt is the one I use. I like it a lot. The big buckle can be a bit in the way for appendix carry but it's a great belt overall. If you go for that belt I recommend getting the plastic PCM insert to make it a bit more rigid. Mine has been fine for what I carry (the 5-stitch version), but I'd like a bit more rigidity. I've also heard the Ares Gear belt is great, as was mentioned above.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    For inside waste band carry go with either of the three,xds,karh or ruger lc9.
    The lc9 has the worst of the three's trigger but is still shootable and accurate.
    For out side carry go with a glock or springfield xdm.

Top Bottom