• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Cargo pocket carry, take my usual holster; leave the gun in it and it all moves as one unit into the cargo pocket that in turn get's buttoned, roll it up and keep it all in arms reach.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Well, I seem to have a few different things I do:

I carry on as normal, Undress, Leave the gun in the holster (IWB) I do this 90% of the time

If I go some place new, Like a new doctor, I will down size and deep conceal IE Ruger LCP in my pocket, Main gun left at home. Once I get a feel for the professional's personality I either swtich back to normal carry or do min carry. Gun left in holster whole time.

I once went to the ER a state where I didn't know handgun laws regarding hospital ERs. So this is the one time in my life I disarmed. Left it in the tuck IN THE HOLSTER.

I had a sleep study done about 2 months ago. I carried my tactual folder cliped inside of my boxers. Black knife, black boxers. Nobody saw. However I am unsure if it showed up on their thermal dome camera

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Had an incident similar to this. Went to doctor for flu like symptoms and doctor had to give me shot of antibiotics. Nurse came in and asked me to pull down pants and I then informed her I was carrying a pistol behind my back in a holster. She seemed to think I was kidding at first then realized I was serious. I asked her if it's okay if I remove pistol and holster together and place it on the table since I cant get my pants down with the pistol on because of wheelchair. She said it was ok and I removed it. She seemed just fine not worried or concerned (possibly because she knows me very well over 6 years). Then she left and I put it back on and away I went. Nothing else was said by anyone.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Dr X checking me out for an exam.

ORLY?

doctor-x-atwill.png

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    It really doesn't surprise me to see doctors and nurses concealing pocket pistols all the time. Last couple times I've had to go to the ER, (I attract sharp objects like a magnet,) there has always been somebody in the next bed over trying to convince the doc to give him pain pills....but his story never matches up with itself or stays consistent.

It was clear as day that he was just looking for free drugs, and there is absolutely no telling what somebody like that may do.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It really doesn't surprise me to see doctors and nurses concealing pocket pistols all the time. Last couple times I've had to go to the ER, (I attract sharp objects like a magnet,) there has always been somebody in the next bed over trying to convince the doc to give him pain pills....but his story never matches up with itself or stays consistent.

It was clear as day that he was just looking for free drugs, and there is absolutely no telling what somebody like that may do.

Yeah, they like to lie to us. I know several docs/nurses who have handguns with them, but none who carry at work. It's recommended to at least have a knife on your leg and I'm considering doing that.

Blue Eagle, it brought a tear to my eye to see your .sig file!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If I knew I would have to undress all the way for some type of exam I might just not bring my gun that day (especially if I dont know the doctor).
    Or if possible give the gun to my wife while im in the exam room if she comes with me.
    You could also keep your gun concealed in the middle of your pile of clothes and take your clothes with you, this way no need to tell the doctor about the gun and you keep it next to you.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've had a few patients carrying. Depending on the nature of the visit (Emergency Dept) and the particular patient I either had security remove the firearm or let it be.

Would prefer to not deal with it so deep conceal and don't reveal or leave it in the car.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've had a few patients carrying. Depending on the nature of the visit (Emergency Dept) and the particular patient I either had security remove the firearm or let it be.

Would prefer to not deal with it so deep conceal and don't reveal or leave it in the car.

:dunno:
    I wouldn't let any kind of security guard or even LEO take my gun away from me since im legally carrying it.
    Plus you never know what kind of training (if any) they have and they could end up shooting themselves.
    The gun is way saffer with me or in the hands of someone I trust. :rolleyes:

If im asked to bring it to my car I would, but nobody touches my gun even if they wear a shiny bagde on their chest.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    :dunno:
    I wouldn't let any kind of security guard or even LEO take my gun away from me since im legally carrying it.
    Plus you never know what kind of training (if any) they have and they could end up shooting themselves.
    The gun is way saffer with me or in the hands of someone I trust. :rolleyes:

If im asked to bring it to my car I would, but nobody touches my gun even if they wear a shiny bagde on their chest.

He clearly said depending on the nature of the visit and the person. To me that indicates that he makes a judgement call. I would do the same, if they're there under their own power for a standard emergency room visit, they can keep it provided mental condition is okay. If they seem like they've been in a fight or intoxicated or something, I may ask them to either take it out or have security take it.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Yeah, they like to lie to us. I know several docs/nurses who have handguns with them, but none who carry at work. It's recommended to at least have a knife on your leg and I'm considering doing that.

Blue Eagle, it brought a tear to my eye to see your .sig file!

Hi Doc, I had a similar question like this the other nite, and was wondering what to do should it ever happen again. Thankfully it's been several years since I was last in an ER without a family member being right there with me. Bill goes with me, unless he's on a 24, so in that case our daughter goes in his place.

Back in June, I had the misfortune to "drop like a rock" while gating off our kitchen so the boys couldn't get in there while I was sleeping. I went down hard, fell backwards, and hit my head on our steel front door, knocking myself out for "quite a while". (I have no clue how long, I didn't check my watch for the time just before I hit the door, let's just say it was a goodly amount of time). When I came to, I couldn't get off the floor, my legs just wouldn't work. Had our daughter been home, my carrying wouldn't have crossed her mind. She'd have been focused on "OMG! Mom is knocked out and needs an Ambulance!"

She would have called one, and since I was still dressed, I had Betsy (my PK.380) in my pocket. Fortunately they didn't cut my clothes off and find Betsy that way (I think they'd have been ok, I know most of the medics here cuz of Bills job), but had they done that, and I was still out, what would they have done? My best hope would have been that they give it to our daughter for her to lock up in her car, but I honestly don't know. I've had my clothes cut off before (horse accident) while out, but didn't own a gun at that point in time.

What would happen now? Would they freak out on me, or act rationally and give it to either our daughter or Bill when he got there? This has been a worry of mine since I bought the gun, and being the only one home a lot of nights, it's possible that this could happen. Our daughter (or neighbor across the street, the dogs know her) would have to come in first, lock up them up, then allow the medics to come in and do what they needed to do. Our daughter could have disarmed me and locked it up before the medics got here,(had she been thinking straight and not in a panic) but our neighbor knows nothing about it, so wouldn't think to do anything concerning my being armed. Besides, she's terrified of guns. Any advice, I'm in a quandry on what to do in that situation.

In that particular case, I just waited until Bill got home (a few hours later, I wasn't thinking straight enough to text him, and couldn't reach my cell from the floor anyway) and he took me in, making sure I was unarmed so we wouldn't be faced with that situation. Being an ER doc, I'd love to have your advice on what to do, it's been a worry of mine since I became the proud owner of my own gun, and I don't want some nincompoop messing with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Regards, Bobbie (aka 7th Stepper)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    He clearly said depending on the nature of the visit and the person. To me that indicates that he makes a judgement call. I would do the same, if they're there under their own power for a standard emergency room visit, they can keep it provided mental condition is okay. If they seem like they've been in a fight or intoxicated or something, I may ask them to either take it out or have security take it.

You are right, it depends how it's done and in what conditions. :yesway:
    Clearly if a security guard or LEO try to take my gun away from me without my consent then the doctor would have to treat a second patient for a broken arm or something similar.
    But I understand that if the patient is dead drunk then it might be a good idea to take his firearm away from him.

Top Bottom