Early in the Morning?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You just shift the problem elsewhere in the country then.

Those two places are already in the dumper so might as well give them more like minded people. We don't need those who vote for more free stuff spreading like a plague to red states and turning them blue to destroy that state as well. If they want to live like they do then send them to other places in the country that already live like that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm honestly at a loss for how to attack the totality of the problem that is Chicago, since they control so many of the reigns of statewide power. If that were not so, requiring them to balance their budget while limiting them to taxation only within their environs might be a successful siege. With their control at the state level that is precluded. We might be able to come at them with some aspect of the commerce clause since Chicago is critical to a great deal of trade nationwide, but I hate that thing. It is already overused and abused and needs to be severely restricted

It might be necessary to let a state go 'bankrupt' but even that won't necessarily remove corrupt government and any sort of appointment of a 'special master' to run the state is anathema to a Constitutionalist and a dangerous precedent to set. Without some mechanism to weed out the entrenched corruption, state bankruptcy just becomes a mini wall street bailout where those at fault pocket big checks and resume business as usual as soon as possible

It's a thorny problem, but one we need to solve if we ever expect to take back states like California, Oregon or NJ - something we need to do if we're to cure the creeping cancer that progressivism would seem to be. I think finding a way to force progressive to pay the bills for their favored policies would eventually seperate the affluent left from the party base. Even though Silicon Valley champions the basic income guarantee I see no sign they want to foot the entire bill. They want everyone to pay for it. Cui bono the H1B visa program in it's current form? Recall the the court arguments against Trump's attempted changes to the program were economic arguments at the behest of Microsoft, Google et al. You can see the outline of the program pretty clearly, employ non-citizen talent on what amount to indentured servant visas, automate every area of the economy you can and give the displaced workers a monthly stipend to buy drugs with that the elite don't pay the full cost of because of targeted tax structure. The elite live very well indeed, the politicians get even more voters dependent on the dole and thus reliable votes to maintain the system and the rest of us pick up the check. Maybe they can issue the folks subsisting on the basic income guarantee numbers, like THX1138

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    The answer is to let IL run its course. Let the roads crumble, let the pensions run out, let the welfare dry up. Let it all fall apart.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Apparently the Chicago/rest of IL disdain goes both ways. I posted a similar sentiment on facebook about digging a moat. This was a reply:

"Trust me if there was a way to separate ourselves from you downstate hicks we would've done it years ago."

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Well I remembered when ny city was going bankrupt I also remember when banks were going bankrupt and I know who pays for it. They all know how to work the system like pros just get to big to fail and the American people will bail your sorry a$$ out.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Apparently the Chicago/rest of IL disdain goes both ways. I posted a similar sentiment on facebook about digging a moat. This was a reply:

"Trust me if there was a way to separate ourselves from you downstate hicks we would've done it years ago."

Yep, these people are hyper-aware of how much they make for themselves and the state economy, but they have little or no idea of the costs incurred in their behalf to enable that economic activity - ports, airports, roads, rail, market infrastructure etc

I grew up in upstate NY in the Adirondacks, and at one time NYC wanted to become the 51st state. We could have fielded a 'million many army' of shovel-ready diggers to seperate them from the rest of us by digging the moat. I guarantee you they don't want to seperate themselves from the taxes they consume from those 'down state hicks'.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

May I direct you to Article IV, Section 3 of the United States Constitution:

1: New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    May I direct you to Article IV, Section 3 of the United States Constitution:
    Hasn't been utilized since West Virginia was separated from Virginia in 1863. Some in the Commonwealth of Virginia would still assert that the process was illegal.

Democrats would undoubtedly love the idea of Crook County being made a state; two guaranteed hyper-liberal Senators and several hyper-liberal Representatives in perpetuity.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Hasn't been utilized since West Virginia was separated from Virginia in 1863. Some in the Commenwealth of Virginia would still assert that the process was illegal.

They would have a solid argument since it was done without the consent of the Virginia legislature. On the other hand there is the argument that it became non-state US territory when it broke from Virginia when Virginian broke from the union, and was admitted as a state from territory not from within another state, but then again, the entire legal rationale for the war was that states could not legally separate from the union, therefore the Confederate states never were recognized as a separate country but rather US states controlled by practitioners of treason, thus undercutting that argument.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    They would have a solid argument since it was done without the consent of the Virginia legislature. On the other hand there is the argument that it became non-state US territory when it broke from Virginia when Virginian broke from the union, and was admitted as a state from territory not from within another state, but then again, the entire legal rationale for the war was that states could not legally separate from the union, therefore the Confederate states never were recognized as a separate country but rather US states controlled by practitioners of treason, thus undercutting that argument.
    I thought that there was a "loyal" Virginia legislature created (and populated from representatives of the western counties of Virginia that had no interest in the rebellion, being that the mountainous terrain there did not lend itself to slave-worked agriculture) to give "consent" to the incorporation of the state of West Virginia.

Top Bottom