What to do with a literal rust-bucket Stevens shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Long story short - this was stashed in a barn to be used as "pest control" for probably the better part of the last 13 years or so. Cleaning out the barn for change of possession - it was re-discovered.

I now have it. Stevens 67L 12ga. Total rust bucket - but not locked up. Best parts on it are the re-finished in the early 90s wood, the action arm, and the mag tube. The rest is...rough.

I do know that I don't want to put much $ into this. Even the very best examples are like $250 guns. Is Birchwood Casey's blueing stuff "good enough", I wonder? Guess that presumes that I can remove all the surface rust... I do also worry about the inside of the chamber - how I'd get that cleaned up.

I don't think I want to hack it into an 18" gun. I'm not sure that I want to spend the $200 on cutting the barrel at the mag tube; though that is definitely intriguing.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sounds like take the wood off and soak it in a parts bath tub with vinegar to see what all rust comes off.

Sometimes a rattle can spray paint refinish is the best choice available for something that is beyond a restoration project. Now it is a good practice for a restoration job if you want the experience as you are kinda out nothing in the value of the gun.

In other words do whatever you like to it as you will not harm the value of the firearm past what hard life it has already been put through

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not sure how hard a life this gun has had... Was a cheap pawn shop purchase my step dad made in the early 90's. He bought it for me to use bird hunting. I think I toted it 2-3x. He did a strip down and home-cold blue job on it back then.

I don't know where it was before it was stuck in this barn in the farm they bought 13 years ago, but it wasn't used at all.

So...yeah. Maybe I'll just get it all stripped down/cleaned as best I can and then determine what to do. I for sure don't want to even spend the $ on DIY Duracoat. Rustoleum may be what the Dr. orders.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Long story short - this was stashed in a barn to be used as "pest control" for probably the better part of the last 13 years or so. Cleaning out the barn for change of possession - it was re-discovered.

I now have it. Stevens 67L 12ga. Total rust bucket - but not locked up. Best parts on it are the re-finished in the early 90s wood, the action arm, and the mag tube. The rest is...rough.

I do know that I don't want to put much $ into this. Even the very best examples are like $250 guns. Is Birchwood Casey's blueing stuff "good enough", I wonder? Guess that presumes that I can remove all the surface rust... I do also worry about the inside of the chamber - how I'd get that cleaned up.

I don't think I want to hack it into an 18" gun. I'm not sure that I want to spend the $200 on cutting the barrel at the mag tube; though that is definitely intriguing.
    Build a steam pot, and see what you get. You might be surprised.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Any pictures to see how much surface rust we're talking about?

I've cleaned up some old shotguns with some surface rust with a fair amount of oil (I used some of the Hoppe's oil that comes in most cleaning kits) and 0000 steel wool. I can't remember what year they need to be, but and old solid copper penny can work very well to help scrape the rust away in heavier spots. Just make sure it's an old solid copper penny. Flitz metal polish can work pretty well on lighter surface rust too.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    A friend of mine years ago had just such a old shotgun found in a barn. Total POS unsafe to shoot and rusted. held together with electric tape at some point in its life. He waited until there was a gun buy back and sold it for a $50 gift card, Right or wrong just throwing that out there.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    Restored an old shotgun that was in a house fire once. Gun was not directly burnt, but had been sprayed with water, covered in smoke, and sat it storage for a couple of years. Quite a bit of rust. Took it completely apart. Steel wool and oil. Put a cold blue on it. Turned out much nicer than I would have ever guessed it would.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you haven't done anything to it yet but take it apart, I would recommend boiling like jwampler said. It converts the rust back to blue and is a true miracle. If you have already started scrubbing on it... too late.

If you have already started, post back on here and we can get you through this.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Knock off any loose dirt, rust, etc. Wipe down thoroughly with alcohol. Apply camo spray paint to your liking.

If the chamber/barrel is rough, chuck up a copper cleaning brush in your drill and have at it.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Let me see, what would I do with a gun I hunted with ~40 years ago? And now here it is again!

This could be interesting to follow.

Hope things work out well. Vinegar n water soak has taken off a lot of rust for me over the years, from a lot of things. :thumbsup:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The gun that I have isn't in as bad of shape as the one in the TFB post... Maybe 1 small part is. I'll see if I can manage to attach a photo. My phone make it difficult!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I think these may attach.

Attachments

• PXL_20231113_205905628.jpg
      PXL_20231113_205905628.jpg
      611 KB · Views: 57
    • PXL_20231113_205911463.jpg
      PXL_20231113_205911463.jpg
      365.9 KB · Views: 57
    • PXL_20231113_205914005.jpg
      PXL_20231113_205914005.jpg
      455.5 KB · Views: 57

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Go to the Anvil channel on YouTube and look for Mark Novak's videos on conservation. I think you'll be amazed what a good boil or steam and carding can accomplish.

Exactly what I thought looking at the first picture. "This is a perfect candidate for Mark's steam process". Very light card wheel for the large areas, brass wool for the nooks and inside the receiver, boil and clean the internal parts, reoil everything and I'll bet it works great.

Top Bottom