What to do with a literal rust-bucket Stevens shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Agreed that it's not "that bad". Mostly all just surface rust. I've definitely seen worse.

That said - I've been looking at some methods online. Steaming may be simple to some... But putting together a steamer big enough for the barrel seems pretty daunting. The small parts? Seems easy enough, right?

I've also found some YT vids about doing some simple rust bluing at home, too. But I'm not too sure how much prep work that would take to get the metal down to the white first before going that route. Again - doing the barrel seems like it'd be the most difficult.

Anyone know if there being cold blue on it under the rust would cause any issues? IF I find some kind of trough or figure out a way to make one (HAH...you don't know how totally NOT handy I am) - do I need to somehow plug the barrel?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Agreed that it's not "that bad". Mostly all just surface rust. I've definitely seen worse.

That said - I've been looking at some methods online. Steaming may be simple to some... But putting together a steamer big enough for the barrel seems pretty daunting. The small parts? Seems easy enough, right?

I've also found some YT vids about doing some simple rust bluing at home, too. But I'm not too sure how much prep work that would take to get the metal down to the white first before going that route. Again - doing the barrel seems like it'd be the most difficult.

Anyone know if there being cold blue on it under the rust would cause any issues? IF I find some kind of trough or figure out a way to make one (HAH...you don't know how totally NOT handy I am) - do I need to somehow plug the barrel?
    Mark Novak has used rain gutter before he got "Thor".

Top Bottom