What to spend a Dick's Sporting Goods gift card on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Were you getting in and out of it several times a day? And 70's and 40's are cool compared to what I'm talking about.
    We were getting drinks out of it several time a day.

I used this cooler originally at the lake where it was cabled to the open dock, full of cold beer, then iced on Monday and even in the summer sun still had ice and was cold on Thursday when we got back. I did that most weeks back then.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I would never give the anti-gun Dick's a dime of my money!

That said, I received a fity dolla gift card from an acquaintance. I will use it.

Anyone in the know on getting the most bang for my gift buck there? I haven't shopped there in years, but assume they might still have Black Friday sales?

TIA!
    :ingo:
    Regift it

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you know why lez’s shop at sports authority?

Like you, they hate Dicks…
    At my former job I was sitting out in the smoking area one day while one of the gals was looking through some newspaper ads that someone had left out on the picnic table there. She came across one for Dick's and said, "Dick's? Nope, don't want that." She meant it innocently enough (she wasn't gay), but I made some kind of snide comment anyhow. We all had a good laugh about it. :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    At my former job I was sitting out in the smoking area one day while one of the gals was looking through some newspaper ads that someone had left out on the picnic table there. She came across one for Dick's and said, "Dick's? Nope, don't want that." She meant it innocently enough (she wasn't gay), but I made some kind of snide comment anyhow. We all had a good laugh about it. :):
    If you did that now it also would be a former job. LOL

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you did that now it also would be a former job. LOL
    It was at BMG Music Club. I make a lot better money now, but that was a fun place to work. :): Worked with a lot of fun people and I was free to be the "class clown". One of my bosses actually referenced it on my review. "DoggyDaddy uses his sense of humor to diffuse potentially tense situations." (referring to some meetings I was involved in with the higher ups)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Pretty sure Yeti doesn't make their own coolers. There are only a handful of rotomolded cooler molds that all get rebranded. Yeti just happens to mark theirs up twice as much as everyone else to create the perception of higher quality.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Pretty sure Yeti doesn't make their own coolers. There are only a handful of rotomolded cooler molds that all get rebranded. Yeti just happens to mark theirs up twice as much as everyone else to create the perception of higher quality.

So she began with explaining her bias. I thought it was interesting that many of the coolers she showed pictures of were the exact same mold. Yeti does have their own molds as their name is molded on the bottom and the bottom of the lid. She never address the fact that many of these so called other brands are infringing on Yeti patents and trademarks.

There is only like two companies that make shocks, I would never assume that all shocks were the same. Many consumer items are made on contract, for different companies, to different specs by the same manufacturer.

It is interesting all the companies Yeti has had to sue including Walmart and Home Depot. Yeti created a market and product others seem intent to steal. Yeti has had to sue Rtic five times multiple over breach of settlement agreements and they just keep at it.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So she began with explaining her bias. I thought it was interesting that many of the coolers she showed pictures of were the exact same mold. Yeti does have their own molds as their name is molded on the bottom and the bottom of the lid. She never address the fact that many of these so called other brands are infringing on Yeti patents and trademarks.

There is only like two companies that make shocks, I would never assume that all shocks were the same. Many consumer items are made on contract to different specs.

It is interesting all the companies Yeti has had to sue including Walmart and Home Depot. Yeti created a market and product others seem intent to steal.

As far as I can tell, all of those lawsuits focus on Yeti's claims that the infringements involve the company brand, not the actual product itself.

The second link is about a company doing business as "Yetti". The lawsuit against Walmart and RTIC were about "trade dress" and not the actual functionality or product design. They are all about companies making coolers that look too much like the Yeti branding.

"A brand is not that tangible thing itself, but it's everything that thing connotes and stands for and creates in the mind of the customer," Thoma said. "So Yeti is clearly concerned that all of its intellectual property, its designs, its advertising, and its brand building are being co-opted by another manufacturer and retailer."

Yeti's claims against Wal-Mart involve three heavy-duty insulated drinkware items it developed, manufactures and sells -- a Rambler Colster beverage holder, and 20- and 30-ounce stainless steel Rambler tumblers.

The United States Patent Office issued a design patent for the Colster beverage holder on March 29, while Yeti claims it owns trade dress rights in the overall look and appearance of the others.

Trade dress typically refers to the visual appearance of a product or its packaging. Federal law protects the trade dress of a product if it is distinctive and if any imitation is likely to cause confusion for consumers. A design that is functional cannot be protected under trademark law.
    None of these lawsuits have anything to do with the quality, functionality or general usefulness of the products, only how they look and how they're marketed.

My guess is that Yeti contracts the actual manufacturing of their products and other companies have also contracted with those same manufacturers. I don't know for sure, but it is not uncommon in the consumer products manufacturing world for there be be just a handful of manufacturers making similar products for multiple brands.

Yeti may be successful in these trademark focused lawsuits (not patent based), but that doesn't mean their products are actually better or worth more money. In fact, they may be quite common. I'm open to be proven wrong, but those lawsuits don't really prove much other than the fact that Yeti is super protective of the brand, as they should be. They have a good thing going. As a marketing guy, I respect their game.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As far as I can tell, all of those lawsuits focus on Yeti's claims that the infringements involve the company brand, not the actual product itself.

The second link is about a company doing business as "Yetti". The lawsuit against Walmart and RTIC were about "trade dress" and not the actual functionality or product design. They are all about companies making coolers that look too much like the Yeti branding.

None of these lawsuits have anything to do with the quality, functionality or general usefulness of the products, only how they look and how they're marketed.

My guess is that Yeti contracts the actual manufacturing of their products and other companies have also contracted with those same manufacturers. I don't know for sure, but it is not uncommon in the consumer products manufacturing world for there be be just a handful of manufacturers making similar products for multiple brands.

Yeti may be successful in these trademark focused lawsuits (not patent based), but that doesn't mean their products are actually better or worth more money. In fact, they may be quite common. I'm open to be proven wrong, but those lawsuits don't really prove much other than the fact that Yeti is super protective of the brand, as they should be. They have a good thing going. As a marketing guy, I respect their game.
    It is difficult to find articles on the patent suits because most of those as I understand it were settled quickly. It is sad that the people who develop a product and market have others try to take it as blatantly as Yeti has been…

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Snacks. They always seemed to have goodies lining the checkout area. You know, after you buy a shotgun, sometimes you just need a Diet Mountain Dew.

Can't buy the scattergat anymore, but a DMD sure does hit the spot from time to time.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    just buy whatever you want at dicks because they already have your $50 might as well get whatever the heck you want. The damage is already done. Don’t regift it because gift cards get misplaced and unused.

Dont want dicks to get a free ride. :ugh:

I have a knock off yeti cooler and the amount of time it can hold ice is pretty amazing. I use ice packs and or frozen water bottles because I hate everything getting wet from ice. Admittedly when I need it to last a LONG time I do my best to reduce the amount of times I open it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'd use it without any second thoughts. Why place myself under any concerns and allow those dicks the pleasure of seeing me rack my brains out, trying to figure out what to do.

Relax, they already have the money, now go get some stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd use it without any second thoughts. Why place myself under any concerns and allow those dicks the pleasure of seeing me rack my brains out, trying to figure out what to do.

Relax, they already have the money, now go get some stuff.

I'm gonna use it for sure. NOT using the gift card gives the dicks money for nothing.

I'm just looking for tips on optimizing my purchase of their normally overpriced items.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I'm gonna use it for sure. NOT using the gift card gives the dicks money for nothing.

I'm just looking for tips on optimizing my purchase of their normally overpriced items.

The hunting license idea is great lol

Top Bottom