What type of rounds do you put in a defence weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Do you run. FMJ, Hollow points, Soft points, even maybe some incendiary. Do you lace rounds in your mags? For example. 2 hollow points then 2 FMJs then 2 soft points?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You have to remember that you are responsible for every single round that comes out of your gun. You don't wan to use a type of ammo that has a good chance of over penetrating, and hitting an innocent bystander that was behind the Bad Guy/threat.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hollow points. Several mags worth.

I've never understood the "alternating rounds" thing in any gun. I'm certainly not counting "Two hollows, now two FMJs (better not shoot through that wall), OK, back to hollows....". I just count up to a reload.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Hornady Critical Defense in my 1911 EDC (but looking to switch), Winchester PDX1 buck 'n ball in the shotgun with 00 buck for a chaser.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For me: hollow points for self defense, FMJ for range fun.

Before I carry a specific hollow point in a carry gun I run at least 50 - 100 rounds through the weapon for function test. Throughout the year I will occasionally run a box of my carry ammo through it here and there as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I were carrying something smaller than 9mm, I'd probably want FMJ in it.

Especially if it were a short-barreled pocket pistol. Penetration is key with "sub caliber" firearms so the theory goes.

9mm Mak? FMJ. .380ACP? FMJ. .32ACP? FMJ. .25ACP? FMJ. .22? Yep, you guessed it. FMJ.

Everything else: Quality jacketed hollow point (or semi-jacketed hollow point in the case of my .38Special / .357 Revolvers)

-J-

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Hollow point, now I have alternated types of hollow points for a specific reason of the amount penetration and size of wound channel. Of course this was based on test in ballistic gelatine with heavy clothing.

Top Bottom