• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I'm in a bit of a thing here. I love my PPK, everything about it (well, maybe not the safety, but that can slide for me ;P ) so much that I've even started using it as my main carry. But I really would like to carry something a little beefier than a .380 as my main carry weapon, be it 9x19 or even .40. What's the closest I can get to a current production gun that shares the same qualities as my PPK? As in: metal frame, da/sa, single stack mag (or at least very thin) fairly compact size?

The closest to content I've found yet is the Thunder 9 UC by Bersa, and that's still a little thick for what I'm looking for. Any ideas? Thanks for any direction!

-Chris

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I really would like to carry something a little beefier than a .380 as my main carry weapon, be it 9x19 or even .40. What's the closest I can get to a current production gun that shares the same qualities as my PPK? As in: metal frame, da/sa, single stack mag (or at least very thin) fairly compact size?

S&W 3913.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm in a bit of a thing here. I love my PPK, everything about it (well, maybe not the safety, but that can slide for me ;P ) so much that I've even started using it as my main carry. But I really would like to carry something a little beefier than a .380 as my main carry weapon, be it 9x19 or even .40. What's the closest I can get to a current production gun that shares the same qualities as my PPK? As in: metal frame, da/sa, single stack mag (or at least very thin) fairly compact size?

The closest to content I've found yet is the Thunder 9 UC by Bersa, and that's still a little thick for what I'm looking for. Any ideas? Thanks for any direction!

-Chris

DETONICS POCKET 9:yesway:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hmm. All the metal-framed, current production, SA/DA 9mms I know of off the top of my head are a fair bit thicker (comparitively) than the PPK's 0.98" width.

If you expand your criteria a bit to include DAO guns, some of the Kahrs could get you there. For example:

Walther PPK 6.1" L x 3.8" H x 0.98" W, 20 oz, 6+1.
    Kahr CW9 5.9" L x 4.5" H x 0.90" W, 17.7 oz, 7+1.
    Kahr CM9 5.4" L x 4.0" H x 0.90" W, 15.9 oz, 6+1.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you're willing to deal in non-production guns, look into the Polish P-64, (9x18,) or the Makarov. Similar sizes, but in a slightly higher caliber. My P64, although over 40 years old, has been a great little gun; no failures as of yet.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    If you're willing to deal in non-production guns, look into the Polish P-64, (9x18,) or the Makarov. Similar sizes, but in a slightly higher caliber. My P64, although over 40 years old, has been a great little gun; no failures as of yet.
    I like my P-64. The 9mm Mak is a but more powerful than the 9x17, but the recoil is a bit on the stouter side. SA trigger pull is great, but DA is horrendous.:twocents:

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    S&W 3913 or Sig P239 would be my picks in that category.

SW3913.jpg

SigP239.jpg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I kinda' like guns that are easy to detail strip. So, I would lean toward a nice used Makarov 9x18. E. German if possible.

But then, the last place I checked carried 9x19 ammo at a better price. HK P7M8 is a bit pricey, but nice and compact.

Terp7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Muncie
    HK!

I agree with Colt556 and say go for the HK. :) You can carry around my P7 if you want, get a feel for it as an everyday carry. Or get the Browning BDM - I've heard good things about those.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    When I think of a larger PPK, the first pistol that comes to mind is a Beretta 92fs.

Because they both jam all the time? Waka waka. Seriously though, that's more along the lines I'm thinking, though that's almost too largererer than a PPK :D I've found I'm fascinated by everything, and yet impossible to please all at the same time...it's a curse!

A lot of great suggestions here, interesting seeing what everyone relates to.

Top Bottom