• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    There is no possible way I could not intervene in something like that. Calling the cops is not "intervening". Once they leave the scene then the odds of getting them back safely go WAY down.

If it's the girls parent I hope they would care about their kid enough to be thankful someone is willing to probably save their life if they were abducted (I know that's wishful thinking & they would possibly act like a JA :rolleyes:). If their not the kids parent I really don't care what they think.

Either way you would be completely justified in using deadly force to stop that person from leaving with the kid as soon as you heard "I don't know you". That would be a reasonable belief that someone was in threat of serious bodily harm at that point.

I would not NECESSARILY jump immediately to DF but depending on how the person responded to any questions determines my next steps.
    I agree

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There is no possible way I could not intervene in something like that. Calling the cops is not "intervening". Once they leave the scene then the odds of getting them back safely go WAY down.

If it's the girls parent I hope they would care about their kid enough to be thankful someone is willing to probably save their life if they were abducted (I know that's wishful thinking & they would possibly act like a JA :rolleyes:). If their not the kids parent I really don't care what they think.

Either way you would be completely justified in using deadly force to stop that person from leaving with the kid as soon as you heard "I don't know you". That would be a reasonable belief that someone was in threat of serious bodily harm at that point.

I would not NECESSARILY jump immediately to DF but depending on how the person responded to any questions determines my next steps.

This. If I can stop them from leaving without endangering the child, I will do so, to include force if needed.

If it really is the parent, I would hope they would appreciate someone looking out for their child, all the circumstances taken together, especially after hearing the store announcement.

If the parents wish to file a criminal complaint and I'm arrested, as could absolutely happen, I'm willing to take my chances with a jury in this particular instance. Even being convicted would be a lot easier for me and my family to deal with than if we stood by and watched, and the child was later found dead.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    This. If I can stop them from leaving without endangering the child, I will do so, to include force if needed.

If it really is the parent, I would hope they would appreciate someone looking out for their child, all the circumstances taken together, especially after hearing the store announcement.

If the parents wish to file a criminal complaint and I'm arrested, as could absolutely happen, I'm willing to take my chances with a jury in this particular instance. Even being convicted would be a lot easier for me and my family to deal with than if we stood by and watched, and the child was later found dead.

I think along these lines too.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    GREAT story Grizman.

My first thought would be it was the child's father disciplining her which would probably keep me from pulling my pistol. Siting here, not under pressure, I would say I would call 911 first with plate #. Then I would follow them and hit my OnStar button so my location could be tracked via GPS and the onstar operator could notify LEO also.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I suppose the kid could have been playing and said you are not my daddy.I would have tried to stop them as well but if I were wrong it would have been like My neighbor freshly home from iraq witnessed a lady jerking her kid out of the cart at walmart by the arm. He interviened. Cops came took his weapon which was concealed and arested him.THis was 9 mos ago and he still has no weapon.The story was true and the lady was abusing her kid but he had deaper issues.He is now in anger managment class and says he will get his gun back eventually. He never touched the lady.What would you have done?

How is that even remotely related? Somewhere between "he intervened" and "cops took his weapon" I think a few things were left out. Abuse by a custodial parent is a little different also in that chances are there's no risk of the child "disappearing."

Back to OP: except for the slimiest of parents, most refrain from telling their own children to shut up.

Don't we teach our children to scream "You're not my daddy/mommy" if they're taken? How can we send them mixed messages by not responding accordingly if that's what they're telling us? I think I'd have to take the risk of doing the "wrong" thing for the right reasons than to live with the knowledge that the best answer I have to give St. Peter on Judgment Day is that I was a good witness for identifying the murdered girl's abductor.

tedk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    grizman great job!!. 2.5 years for the perp is plain wrong this is why our society has so much crime do a very bad deed and get a slap on the hand.

We had a case across the river in Louisville a juvenile killed 4 kids while running from the police at a high rate of speed. The car he was driving he had car jacked in Indiana the night before. He has been in jail since 2008 when this happened because he is a juvenile he will be released in less than 2 months. So he will have served 2.5 years for killing 4 kids.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Trust my instincts and if red light going off - call 911 with the license number.

If I really felt there was some danger, and he was blocked in the front by another car, I might nonchalantly knock some stuff outta my cart or hurt myself retuning my cart right behind his car and take my time picking it up to buy time for the police to show up.

I did this once to someone that wanted to leave the scene in a car accident I was involved with. Just kinda blocked their exit until the police came by happening to be in their only escape route doodling about.

Just stay alert and jump out of the way if they gun it.....

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    How is that even remotely related? Somewhere between "he intervened" and "cops took his weapon" I think a few things were left out. Abuse by a custodial parent is a little different also in that chances are there's no risk of the child "disappearing."

Back to OP: except for the slimiest of parents, most refrain from telling their own children to shut up.

Don't we teach our children to scream "You're not my daddy/mommy" if they're taken? How can we send them mixed messages by not responding accordingly if that's what they're telling us? I think I'd have to take the risk of doing the "wrong" thing for the right reasons than to live with the knowledge that the best answer I have to give St. Peter on Judgment Day is that I was a good witness for identifying the murdered girl's abductor.

:yesway:

I could not look at myself in the mirror each day if I did any less!

Last edited:

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    i sure as hell wouldn't let the sob drive away..how many cases are filed on missing persons and kidnappings that are never solved...they say the greatest sin is being able to do something and doing nothing...that guy wouldn't have left the parking lot..but that's me, as soon as i saw (hypothetically but gods honest truth) the girl get shoved into the car and HEARD HER say that she doesn't know the perp, it would become my responsibility to make sure she was safe, seeing as i was the only one that could....the same thing a cop would do if he were to be in my shoes...

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    I have a daughter. If I ever see you in person, you're getting a big hug from me. And I give good hug.

I'm glad the officer kept a cool head.

I have two myself 17 and 11. They are my reason for being! At the time this occured my oldest had just been diagnosed with Lukemia but had not started treatment yet. I was actually depressed and feeling out of it. When I heard that little voice it all went away and I was 100% in the game!

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    being a parent and a hot head i dont think i would take the time to call the police right away. I would probubly put myself in a harry situation by following or trying to block the vehicle while i tried to call the police.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    What a good true story. I'd like to think I would do the same, but I am sort of glad I have never been put in that position. And don't think you're not a hero. You certainly are to at least to one family!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Yeah I'd get involved. Probably take out a tire with my knife if possible, shoot it if necessary. An abducted child has four hours of life left. I'd rather have to buy a tire than read about a dead child I could have done something about.

^^^ this 100% I've never been one to just lay low and rely on others when someone is in immediate danger. theres a point where you can add up all of the indicators and make a pretty well informed decision to get involved deap in it and still come out ok if you were wrong and had to go to court (as long as you didnt kill an innocent person obviously)

sorry, but if it involves a kid I dont play around.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    This scenario is not hypothetical. It played out several years ago at a WM right here in central IN. It was I walking thru the lot. The guy in question had in fact abducted the girl from the store. What did I do? I stepped in front of the car, drew my pistol and instructed the guy to put the car in park throw the keys out the window and place both hands on top of the steering wheel palms up. I told the girl to get down on the floor. Which to my surprise she did immediately. Why step in front of the car? The little girl was in the front passenger seat, if I were forced to fire I had to have a clear front to back shot. He complied and I held him at gun point while the mother removed the girl from the car and until the police arrived.

How did things go when the police arrived? Better than expected I will say. The first officer on scene approached weapon drawn at low ready and told me to holster my weapon. I responded "I will comply only after he is out of the car and cuffed." The officer asked if I had a lic to carry, I said yes. He then removed the fellow from the car cuffed him and turned to me and said "I need you holster the weapon sir" which I did. He told the man he was being detained until he sorted this out. The mother yelled he was taking my daughter. The store manager spoke up and told the officer that had it not been for my actions he would have gotten away with the girl. He then told the man he was under arrest for kidnapping and read him his rights and placed him in the back of his unit. He only then asked to see my LTCH, I held it up he glanced at it and told me to hang around he needed my statement. A second unit arrived and the officer told him to watch the prisoner. We went inside where the MGR played the security camera footage for us. The officer then turned to me shook my hand and said nice job. He took my statement, I testified to the grand jury about the incident. The man got a plea bargain deal and served only 2.5 years. I get a christmas card each year from the girls family.

That day I made a difference to that family and that little girl! I brought this up today because not long ago I saw that not so little girl in the new WM and she came up and thanked me for not letting anyhing bad happen to her that day. She still knew me on sight! Would I do it again? H#ll yes. This dosen't make me a hero. I just could not let that child be harmed anymore than I could have lived with myself if I turned a deaf ear and walked away! I am a man and a father. I feel it is my duty to protect those around me that can not! I would rather die helping than live knowing I allowed something horrible to happen to a child or a women and did nothing!
    Thats just the way I am.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!! :patriot:

Thats awesome Brother! Great job!

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    +1 Amazing story! I hope that I'd respond similarly if I ever encountered that kind of situation. Protect the innocent. Let the sinner be punished. This world needs more honest, upstanding citizens/modern day heros!

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    ^^^ this 100% I've never been one to just lay low and rely on others when someone is in immediate danger. theres a point where you can add up all of the indicators and make a pretty well informed decision to get involved deap in it and still come out ok if you were wrong and had to go to court (as long as you didnt kill an innocent person obviously)

sorry, but if it involves a kid I dont play around.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!! :patriot:

Thats awesome Brother! Great job!

This trait of being protective seems common to our brotherhood!
    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY! always have, always will!

Ryno

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Shelbyville, IN
    Excellent grizman! Knowing good folks like you are out and about makes me feel better about my family while they're out. We'll pray for your daughter and family. I no way could have let him drive away. I'd like to think I would have done the same thing or close to. Thanks man!

Top Bottom