• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you were to play and win the upcoming Powerball?

I admit I spent a whopping $2 on a ticket yesterday morning. (don't bother buying your own tickets as I have the winner)

Pretending that I DO win - the entire jackpot - what would I do with it?

- seek out highly reputable and discreet lawyers, tax lawyers, and CPAs - retain them and their services. Get the trusts / financial / savings / investment balls rolling very quickly.

- have lawyer claim prize on my behalf (Can do this in IN - other states require the winner claim publicly)

- I'd probably quit my job very soon

- my wife would probably quit her job at the end of the school year (teacher). Just wouldn't sit right with either of us to quit immediately.

- pay off our current mortgage & vehicle and then get our current home completely upgraded to "2012 standards" (windows, kitchen, re-do the fireplace, finish off a bathroom, + convert part of 2nd garage into living space)

- pay off my parent's mortgage & business loan, get them some new vehicles - and set them up nicely.

- pay off my dad's mortgage & vehicle - set him & his wife up nicely.

- do my best to pay off many friends' mortgages.

- buy a few vehicles to replace the current two. Including, but not limited to a Nissan GT-R. (Plus driving school / classes for me!)

- seek property where we could eventually "settle" in a forever home

- seek architect / designer to design home to put on said property

- travel - lots of travel. Well-heeled travel.

ETA: oh, and buy INGO, LLC whatever it needs to continue to grow and become even more awesomer.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I would pay off all my bills, buy me a new house, buy me a new truck, pay my parents' bills off, give every active member on INGO, all 50 of them, $1,000 each, buy me some new toys, invest the rest.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We bought a couple tickets as well. Why not? Its cheap fun to dream a little.

But, yeah, invest it wisely and live (very well) off of the interest. I'm a simple man, and lucky enough to have a simple family, so we would never want for a thing. Travel lots, and our daughter would have the best opportunities in life. Though, she would still WORK for them (it is an opportunity, not an entitlement). LOTS of charities would see some discreet donations as well (more like endowments - I hate one-time gifts).

I'd still post on INGO.....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Can't win if you don't play... also can't lose if you don't play... I don't like to lose... so I just don't play... :D

But if I ever came into a large sum of money I would certainly be quitting my job and moving back home to be closer to family. Buy a nice chunk of property, build my dream home, put in a 1000 yd shooting range and open up a gun shop.

I would spend my days building fun, cool, awesome, innovative guns etc and loading/shooting ammo.

I would live off my riches fairly conservatively, making a little cash on the side to help keep me going...

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    It only takes the one match of numbers to win. No play, no pay. I will spend my $2 for a chance at a dream. Who knows it may be you or your neighborthat gets lucky but someone will win the BIG one.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Definitely new toys would be in order. That may be the second thing I would do, right after the visit to the lawyer, financial adviser, etc.

Also in there would be appropriate contribution to our church and couple other favorite charities (besides myself).

Dream on!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Don't much care to gamble, but a large windfall sum would (after the appropriate charitable donations and tithe) first be spent on a large family gathering at Fogo De Chao to celebrate the blessing :D

After that, a reasonable homestead with the appropriate equipment necessary to keep it running.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Buy that Aimpoint I can't afford. Get some land like a couple hundred acres and put a nice little house for the family. Find a good charity program of some type to volunteer at 15 to 20 hours per week to help keep me focused. Take some accounting classes so I understand financials better. But first off do pretty much exactly what Indy_Guy_77 said about how to claim your money and setting up things for the future.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Honestly, I think I would spend the rest of my life giving most of it away to causes I support.

You only need so much money. Yeah, I'd quit my job, give some money to family, buy toys and a nice house on a lot of property like otherwise have said. By I think it'd be fun helping out others too.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    First thing is I'd get Tiny Tim to some good medical care, then spend the rest on nonfat whipped cream.

Instead of buying a ticket for a buck, give me the buck and I will give you 50 cents in return. Everyone but the winner will be ahead of the game. And I'd be rich. WIN Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win

p.s. 'Lawless' was just released on REDBOX and I got it on reserve.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Pay off all the family mortgages.

From a personal standpoint - Buy as much land as I can, probably in South Dakota or Minnesota. Build a nice house off the grid (maybe a satellite phone). Get horses. Buy a custom Dakota Arms Model 76 and hunt around the world. Fund my kids' education and start a high end gun company.

Setup a scholarship for those who are inclined towards a career in politics and who are pro-2A. Donate significant funds to Pheasants Forever, DU, and other conservation groups who protect public land access and preserve hunting land. Finally, get enough land to open a public range where you can shoot rifles to 300 yards located within 20 minutes of Marion County, because we need a place like that here.

And just for the hell of it, I'd buy everybody on INGO 5 lbs of bacon and a six pack of their favorite beer.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

- have lawyer claim prize on my behalf (Can do this in IN - other states require the winner claim publicly)

For a client, several years ago, I contacted the Lottery inquiring about claiming the prize anonymously. Here was my first reply back from them (follow-up questions and clarifications were posed via telephone):

Thank you for contacting the Hoosier Lottery.

Indiana Law does require that winner information be made public so total anonymity is not an option. However, we can provide you with a few recommendations:

You may hire an attorney and an accountant and set up an “entity”-this can be a trust, LLC, corporation, etc.
    The person who purchased the ticket does not have to be the signer of the ticket, but they must come in and be interviewed by security. The attorney can speak to the media.
    If the winner chooses to set up an “entity”, they must show letters of incorporation showing all officers with their social security numbers/Tax ID numbers.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-955-6886 or 317-264-4800, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm EST.

Thank you,

Hoosier Lottery

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For a client, several years ago, I contacted the Lottery inquiring about claiming the prize anonymously. Here was my first reply back from them (follow-up questions and clarifications were posed via telephone):

Thank you for contacting the Hoosier Lottery.

Indiana Law does require that winner information be made public so total anonymity is not an option. However, we can provide you with a few recommendations:

You may hire an attorney and an accountant and set up an “entity”-this can be a trust, LLC, corporation, etc.
    The person who purchased the ticket does not have to be the signer of the ticket, but they must come in and be interviewed by security. The attorney can speak to the media.
    If the winner chooses to set up an “entity”, they must show letters of incorporation showing all officers with their social security numbers/Tax ID numbers.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-955-6886 or 317-264-4800, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm EST.

Thank you,

Hoosier Lottery

Good information to know come Thursday morning... :rofl:

Above, when I mentioned having a lawyer claim the ticket on my behalf, I was indeed thinking about having the lawyer claim it for a "trust", an "entity", if you will. The good things about some of that is the lottery office is a busy place - lots of comings and goings. Meet your lawyer/accountant there, sign what you gotta sign - leave. Press conference the next day. Do my absolute best to not have MY name/face nor my family's in the paper or on the news would make it that much better to just "live".

Top Bottom