• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buck119

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    South East Indiana
    I don't think anyone should keep a gun in the house (or own one for that matter) who doesn't know that gun through and through. To the point where the gun becomes an extension of yourself. I, like most of you fellas, would have identified the individual from a different vantage point if at all possible, made sure they heard me yelling through the door too. If they would have forced their way into my home, I'd let my Rem. 870 do the talking ...but not until they were inside my home.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    There are too many factors to consider in that are not in the article. Most likely, he has not been charged yet because of those factors. The way it is written he will not get charged...and perhaps he should not. Just not enough info re: circumstances.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I woulda peeked out to see who it was. He was NOT in any immediate danger as long as the door was locked, therefore he shouldn't have fired blindly though the door. No peep hole in the door? What if it was a hurt or wounded neighbor that needed assistance. Or a lost kid. Yup he stepped in it in my book.
    On the other hand the drunk lady was stupid and theres a saying," if yer gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough" so she paid for her brainlessness.
    Just My 2 cents.

My rule #1 to the wife when it involves the front door, if the door knob is jiggling or someone's beating on the door and not ringing the doorbell, she's to go to the side window where she can see the front porch to ID. Reason being since we live in a somewhat rural area if it is someone planning on doing a breaking and enter the second they see the peep hole go dark they know someone is at the door.

Lots of things can happen, they could lay down a shotgun blast or fire a couple of rounds right at the peep sight.

I've got plans to put up a infrared camera system at the front door, all four sides of the house and driveway because I have some blind spots because of the way the house is built and do not want to venture outside without some type of advantage. Plus I have a 3 back doors, 2 that anyone can see, 1 that's not know and that's my exit door to check outside problems.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    While I agree that you should never blindly shoot through a door, I do feel that tresspass is tresspass and we need to extend the Castle Laws to the edge of the property line. As a rule my view is private property is sacred ground, and I don't care who you kill on it. As long as your rounds hit nice soft targets on your land and don't come onto mine I am happy.

All that being said, this guy was an idiot, and it was only a matter of time before he did something dumb.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    While I agree that you should never blindly shoot through a door, I do feel that tresspass is tresspass and we need to extend the Castle Laws to the edge of the property line. As a rule my view is private property is sacred ground, and I don't care who you kill on it. As long as your rounds hit nice soft targets on your land and don't come onto mine I am happy.

All that being said, this guy was an idiot, and it was only a matter of time before he did something dumb.

Trespassing doesn't give a person the right to blaze away, unless the trespasser is causing a life threatening action. That's where the Castle Doctrine Law falls into play, does not matter if on your own property or someone else s.

kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I dont know how responsible it is to fire a shot through a door without knowing for sure who was on the other side. It is ambiguous events like these that give guns a bad wrap. On the other hand, if I felt as though my family were in danger firing a shot is totally justified (I would personally let my glock sing). Also, one shot is not unreasonable, if 8 rounds had been fired it would have been a different story portrayed in a different light.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    i would have went out the back and come around to investigate myself.he should be charged w/ something.

Always identify your target. Should he be charged ....probably will he .... probably not, ignorance is not a crime they put you away for, if it was a majority of voters would have been jailed on 11/5/08.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I would not shoot through a door that I had no idea what was on the other side unless someone was shooting though it at me.

Once entry is made though...I'm definitely pulling the trigger.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    Story Here

If you were the man in the story what would you have done?

If I were this ignorant, I would have taken a firearms training course before putting live ammo in the gun. Really? You never shoot at what you cannot see. It is always unwise. If I was really that worried, I would have fired a warning shot into a non-critical part of the dwelling. I would never have shot through the door. If the door was forced open and the guy (or gal) came in and threatened me, an empty gun would I have. This is a story if stupidity (Oh, sorry, intoxication) and ignorance (firearms use by those who are thinking about it for the first time.)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't think anyone should keep a gun in the house (or own one for that matter) who doesn't know that gun through and through. To the point where the gun becomes an extension of yourself.

I disagree for one reason. How is a person going to "know that gun through and through. To the point where the gun becomes an extension of yourself." If they don't own it? I don't think anyone should carry a weapon or plan on using it for defense until they do but owning it and keeping it in the house?

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    When I saw it on the news, I thought, this guy is in trouble. You just can't shoot through the door like that. It could have been some neighbor kid. It could have been someone hurt in a car wreck. I would have looked out the window first (peeked carefully) with the .45 behind my back. Then seeing a young college coed, would have probably answered the door to see if I could have helped her.

Do not open the door. Although there was no foul play here, she did have a male companion with her. If all you see is the lady and open the door, who is to say the male (waiting in the shadow) isn't her accomplice and it's part of a plan to get you to open the door?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I would have waited until the door had been opened before firing. But I think that man should be protected from prosecution under Indiana's Castle Doctrine.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    If he or anyone else or his property was in no immediate danger it would not be self defense, right. So how would he be protected under the Castle Doctrine? He screwed up and stuff like that makes us all look bad.:twocents:

Top Bottom