• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have owned a lot of clay / sporting guns and my two favorite in semi auto were the Winchester SUper X2 and the Beretta Teknys. The Teknys is a very expensive gun but it is head and shoulders better than any other gun listed on this thread that I have shot.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i had the saiga 12 in the original config and it was a great gun. ate everything. i got rid of it for a mossberg 930spx. its a good gun to but has been finicky with light loads and i hate the huge buttpad. its a new gun and not to many companies have come out with aftermarket stuff yet.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After reading all of this I've been giving more thought to the Saiga than anything else.

pbook1952

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    I have 2 1100's a 12 and a 20. Love them both. I have not yet had a o-ring problem but I do have a set of spares for that moment. I really don't see much difference in them compared to the 11-87.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Ive been shooting my 1187 premier for the last three yrs and LOVE it. I've shot the 1100 as well, just as good in my opinion. Either one will do the job on clays, doves, ducks, geese................

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got thinking about this again. I shot clays over the weekend for the first time in years. The ole 870 is great, but it's kinda hard on the doubles, and I wouldn't mind the lighter recoil of a semi auto.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Holy necro-post, batman!

Are you wanting a jack-of-all trades or a "clays only" shotgun?

Now that you've had some more clays experience, that is.

-J-

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd like a versatile shotgun that worked well for clays. I like the idea of the mossberg 930 combo packages with the 28" & 18" barrels, but I also like the feel of the 1100, & 11-87.

I'm not really looking for a showpiece, but rather something I can use reliably.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    get an s12... they freak everyone out at the range.

Mine.
    picture.php

video...not mine.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwWszZWWXI]YouTube - Mrs.Juggernaut's first FA Shoot-Red Jacket BDay Bash 2010.wmv[/ame]

fast forward to :33 sec and you'll see an sbs s12 with a can... you can do a lot with the saiga 12's and they're a blast to shoot. Absolutely belches death. By the way that's juggernaut graphic's own "mrs juggernaut" the makers of your fine INGO shirts.

olzkool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2010
    I have had an 1100 for as long as I can remember and never had a single problem. I could never sell it

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    If you can find them and have the money old browning auto 5's are very good and somtimes you can find them for almost the same price as a new 11-87

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had the remington's in the past and really liked them. I am currently using a Franchi I 12, and am in love. The inertia system in it makes it extremely comfortable.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    try some out

I bought a used Win SX3 for $850 with three breily stainless extended chokes. I just started shooting sporting clays and really enjoying the gun. I've shot maybe 500-1000 rounds of trap and skeet only prior to sporting. SX3 could be used for hunting too, very flat shooting, point and hit with sporting clays.

If you can find a range that allows you to test used shotguns, one will fit you best. I tested out some over unders at Sparta, IL at the trap nationals, and found the new Beretta Prevails with Kick-off stock (factory recoil) to work good for me, hit about everything. The Browning and Winchesters didn't work out at all, so I suppose its really what works for you. That's where trying one out will be very helpful.

Both the Win SX3 and Beretta Prevail have minimum recoil, 100 rounds with either will not beat you up at all. Less recoil than shooting 10 rounds with other guns for me.

Last edited:

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    I own both an 1187 and an 1100. Both are fabulous guns and are great for all around purposes. However, I also own a Beretta 391 which will run around $1000 new. It is a better made shotgun for sporting purposes in my opinion. I am a member of the ATA and I have shot in excess of 15,000 registered targets with mine, not to mention practice. On the other hand it is more expensive. You really can't beat an 1100 or 1187 for the price. If you do want to spend a little more go with a Beretta 391 or a Benelli.

agreed, the remingtons are good for the occasional shooter or moderate shooter, if you are going to go through skids of shells I prefer the Beretta. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through both. i used to carry a bag of parts for the Remington jsut in case of failure during a tournament.

stay with the 12 ga also. If you get the remington and it fails to eject light loads have someone look at modifing the gas ports in the barrel. It is a great gun for the money.:popcorn:

Top Bottom