• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Here is a picture sorry for the poor quality.

100_1717.jpg

I've shot this gun before a few months back. I didn't remember it being so big.
    It's bigger than my SAR8 and almost as big as my FAL.

100_1719-1.jpg

I brought it thinking I'm just going to turn around and resell it in a few months for a bolt gun, but now I'm reconsidering. It's really feels natural holding it. Alot like my Norinico AK. It does need to have the grip relocated. I'll start reading up on this and hopefully do it soon.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The parts you have on it are as follows...

CSS tri rail $100
    SGM mag $45
    Ace stock abortion $130
    Saiga 12 $650 (atlantic firearms)
    magpul afg v1 $30

Now to keep me from making fun of you at the range you'll need this:

INTERNAL RECEIVER BLOCK- STOCK ADAPTER

the good news is you can use the ace skeleton from what you have now and save some serious money. You will have to hack off the tang but it's easy. You can also add a folding mechanism if you'd like.

You'll also want this as shepherds crooks are stupid...
    AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR THE SAIGA 12
    seriously, it'll make the install go a lot faster.

new trigger
    TRIGGER GROUP-<B>TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP</b>

trigger guard
    TRIGGER GUARD-CAROLINA SAIGA 12 BOLT ON

Grip
    GRIP AK/SAIGA MOLOT STYLE

Once converted you can use whatever ak stock or ak grip you want so my web lists are just suggestions. There are a few trigger manufacturers but they're all about the same. I think AK builders is adjustable, but the tapco is excellent. You don't have to use the ace stock, but i think they look nice and if you already have the majority of the parts you need... You can also use any standard ak stock or a m4 style tube if you'd like. Personally i think the css (made by etac) trigger guard is the best one going. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get the retainer plate. Time is money and if you add up all the time you'll spend dicking with the shep crook you'll realize that $7.00 would save you hours. Other than that watch the CSS how to videos and you'll be all set. If you need any help and want to drive to indy I'll walk you through it. If not just pm me.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    vitamink speaks the truth... that's the right list to take this Saiga to where it needs to be. Once you move that trigger group forward, it will NOT feel so "big". That's nature's way of telling you that you are carrying a gun that is out of balance. By moving the trigger group back to where the designer (aka St. Kalashnikov) intended it to be, you are restoring the balance of the beast.

A pox on the houses of Clinton and Schumer.... :D

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I guess the good thing about the 'stock abortion' is that no one screwed it up and a proper conversion can be done later. :)

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    The parts you have on it are as follows...

CSS tri rail $100
    SGM mag $45
    Ace stock abortion $130
    Saiga 12 $650 (atlantic firearms)
    magpul afg v1 $30

Now to keep me from making fun of you at the range you'll need this:

INTERNAL RECEIVER BLOCK- STOCK ADAPTER

the good news is you can use the ace skeleton from what you have now and save some serious money. You will have to hack off the tang but it's easy. You can also add a folding mechanism if you'd like.

You'll also want this as shepherds crooks are stupid...
    AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR THE SAIGA 12
    seriously, it'll make the install go a lot faster.

new trigger
    TRIGGER GROUP-<B>TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP</b>

trigger guard
    TRIGGER GUARD-CAROLINA SAIGA 12 BOLT ON

Grip
    GRIP AK/SAIGA MOLOT STYLE

Once converted you can use whatever ak stock or ak grip you want so my web lists are just suggestions. There are a few trigger manufacturers but they're all about the same. I think AK builders is adjustable, but the tapco is excellent. You don't have to use the ace stock, but i think they look nice and if you already have the majority of the parts you need... You can also use any standard ak stock or a m4 style tube if you'd like. Personally i think the css (made by etac) trigger guard is the best one going. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get the retainer plate. Time is money and if you add up all the time you'll spend dicking with the shep crook you'll realize that $7.00 would save you hours. Other than that watch the CSS how to videos and you'll be all set. If you need any help and want to drive to indy I'll walk you through it. If not just pm me.

Thanks so much, this saves me alot of research, I was going to have to do to see what the next step would have been.
    I didn't want to order a complete conversion kit, since I knew I already had some of the parts. This saves me money.
    I may take you up on that help. It's going to be a few week before I can do anything on it. I have a car, 2 trucks and a house payment going out in the next week (ouch). And I can't forget Christmas coming up, got to worry about the kids toys, before I worry about mine. lol

If money permits I would like to use all wood funiture. When it comes to AK style guns I don't care so much about all that "high" tech stuff/look. A good set of woods and some better sites and I'd be happy. Oh I would like a last shot lock back too and extented mag release too.

My first question. Will this gun be reliable after all the mods? I would like to use it for home defense, but if I can't depend on it, than it's nothing more than a toy. This would be okay since I have other guns for hd.

I've always believe that the higher the modifcations the lower the reliablity.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Actually with a Saiga conversion - you are UNDOING a government induced stupid mod! This puts the parts back where they were DESIGNED to be. Most other mods are essentially polish up for 3rd world manufacturing practices. Think bolt polishing etc. A basic Saiga conversion actually improves reliability for the reasons above.

Top Bottom