• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • holtkampaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    My girlfriend has a raspberry Ruger .380 lcp. It does not have a safety on it, she loves the gun, but i feel as time goes on and kids start being involved in her life, she will want something with a safety on it. Are there any guns that are very close to a LCP but has a safety on them? but then again, if a kid can pick up a gun, how hard is it for them to take the safety off?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I LOVE threads like this. You really think asking 17k gun nuts what the best handgun to carry is? For the love of all that is holy, take her to a gun store and let her feel it out for herself.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If she is responsible enough to maintain control of the gun and carry it in a secure holster that protects the trigger, then all is well.

A manual safety switch will not make it any safer.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    The best handgun to carry is one you find reliable, accurate, carryable, and fits the indivdual who is carrying.

1.It has to function everytime.
    2.You need to be able to hit your target. If a person gets a gun they cannot shoot accurately, they have a club, not a gun.
    3.You need to find a gun you can carry comfortably. If its not comfortable, you won't carry it.
    4.If the gun doesn't fit your hands, it will be difficult to shoot. You won't practice with it.

What works for me might not work for you. Handle and shoot as many guns as possible before you buy.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    My girlfriend has a raspberry Ruger .380 lcp. It does not have a safety on it, she loves the gun, but i feel as time goes on and kids start being involved in her life, she will want something with a safety on it. Are there any guns that are very close to a LCP but has a safety on them? but then again, if a kid can pick up a gun, how hard is it for them to take the safety off?

A *pink* one. Definitely a pink one.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If she is responsible enough to maintain control of the gun and carry it in a secure holster that protects the trigger, then all is well.

Definitely this. Manual safeties will not protect children from guns. There are legitimate ways to protect kids, but that is more about safes and education.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The best handgun to carry is one you find reliable, accurate, carryable, and fits the indivdual who is carrying.

2.You need to be able to hit your target. If a person gets a gun they cannot shoot accurately, they have a club, not a gun.
    3.You need to find a gun you can carry comfortably. If its not comfortable, you won't carry it.
    4.If the gun doesn't fit your hands, it will be difficult to shoot. You won't practice with it.

What works for me might not work for you. Handle and shoot as many guns as possible before you buy.

I would classify an LCP as a paperweight WAAYY before I would classify it a club. :stickpoke:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

While I agree with points 1-4 I would have to add that the best handgun to carry is the one you ALWAYS have with you.

As far as the frame mounted safety and kids discussion is concerned: You're looking at it completely the wrong way.

The safety is between your ears. Install the safety into the children. No frame mounted safety on any gun is "Child-Proof".

If you're relying on a mechanical device to keep your child from shooting themselves or someone else you're setting yourself up for heartache.

holtkampaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Thanks for all your replies, I understand the fact that she needs to feel it and be comfortable with it, i guess i was just looking for some suggestions of anything that might be close to an lcp and have a safety. I agree it's about education but sometimes not everyone that is evolved gets that.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN

Agreed. The hard long trigger pull might actually be safer than a light trigger and manual safety switch.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    The best gun for me to carry...
    That I can concealed carry anywhere...
    And be 100% sure that it will function every time...
    is my Sig P238 in .380

When the gun can't be found, I carry at the 1 0'clock position IWB...cocked and locked.

My girlfriend's first shooting experience was with that pistol and she loved it. She had no trouble with the safety or racking the slide or gripping the pistol. (She's about 5'5" with pretty small hands)

I have to show it off so here's a pic:

5646148491_5624ebd16e_z.jpg

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the pistol so here's a pic to give you some scale...standard size wallet, keys, and the sig with the IWB holster:

5646711800_0e7ff587e2_z.jpg

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    That's a good carry gun for a woman. The best thing to do would be teach the kids gun safety and make sure you keep it in a spot they cannot access it at. A HK P7 however is a very safe gun lol. maybe too safe?

holtkampaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    thank you for the picture and i really like the looks for the gun, about how much did it cost you? i like to buy guns period, so weither it fits something she woudl like to carry or just something i want in my safe i like it.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I agree it's about education but sometimes not everyone that is evolved gets that.

All due respect, sir, but it's up to parent/s to provide that education to/for their children. Proper training, supervision will render the manual safety issue moot.

Top Bottom