• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Thanks for all your replies, I understand the fact that she needs to feel it and be comfortable with it, i guess i was just looking for some suggestions of anything that might be close to an lcp and have a safety. I agree it's about education but sometimes not everyone that is evolved gets that.

If they aren't "evolved enough to get that", they probably aren't evolved enough to be a responsible gun owner.

Sorry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    My girlfriend has a raspberry Ruger .380 lcp. It does not have a safety on it, she loves the gun, but i feel as time goes on and kids start being involved in her life, she will want something with a safety on it. Are there any guns that are very close to a LCP but has a safety on them? but then again, if a kid can pick up a gun, how hard is it for them to take the safety off?

Sounds like she just needs to be a more responsible gun owner. There is nothing wrong with an LCP.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There are people who like safeties, like me, and people who don't. I guess it is of the 1911 folks and the non-1911 folks. I think the Sig is a great gun. I believe the S&W bodyguard .380 also has a manual safety.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I LOVE threads like this. You really think asking 17k gun nuts what the best handgun to carry is? For the love of all that is holy, take her to a gun store and let her feel it out for herself.

^^^^THIS^^^^ Just take her and let her pick her own gun out. Maybe some peopl at the local range r gunshop would be willing to ley her try some used guns to find one she likes.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ^^^^THIS^^^^ Just take her and let her pick her own gun out. Maybe some peopl at the local range r gunshop would be willing to ley her try some used guns to find one she likes.

But...

she already has a gun she likes. ;)

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    A trained child is the best saftey. Also the trigger pull on a LCP is what i consider it's saftey feature. Glocks do the same thing basically. Along with the stiffness of pulling the slide back to chamber a round for a child. You could suggest to have her keep the loaded magazine out of the pistol until she needs it. :twocents:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You could suggest to have her keep the loaded magazine out of the pistol until she needs it. :twocents:

Most folks who invade the homes of others wouldn't wait for her to insert the magazine, and chamber a round ... I would suggest she NOT adopt that process. An unloaded personal protection firearm is not conducive to personal protection...... just my viewpoint, of course....

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    My girlfriend has a raspberry Ruger .380 lcp. It does not have a safety on it, she loves the gun, but i feel as time goes on and kids start being involved in her life, she will want something with a safety on it. Are there any guns that are very close to a LCP but has a safety on them? but then again, if a kid can pick up a gun, how hard is it for them to take the safety off?
    The Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" has a safety on it, and it has a laser attached for improved sighting. Oh, it is also chambered in .380 ACP, so you would not have to go out and buy different ammo.:D

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    A trained child is the best saftey. Also the trigger pull on a LCP is what i consider it's saftey feature. Glocks do the same thing basically. Along with the stiffness of pulling the slide back to chamber a round for a child. You could suggest to have her keep the loaded magazine out of the pistol until she needs it. :twocents:

carrying condition 3 is a recipe for a dirt nap.

Why must people constantly try and find ways to skirt the incontrovertible fact that training and safety primarily mental. Sure you need to develop good muscle memory habits but you get that from exercising your training (which is mental) and safety is following the basics rules of firearms safety (also mental).

1. Never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.
    2. Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
    3. Booger hook off the bang switch until you're completely on target and ready to shoot.
    4. ALWAYS BE AWARE OF WHAT IS BESIDE, BETWEEN YOU AND BEHIND YOUR TARGET.

These things are all mentalin origin.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If they aren't "evolved enough to get that", they probably aren't evolved enough to be a responsible gun owner.

Sorry.

:+1:

I think the word he was looking for was "involved", but a she needs to understand that a manual safety won't necessarily make a gun any more safe.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    :+1:

I think the word he was looking for was "involved", but a she needs to understand that a manual safety won't necessarily make a gun any more safe.

The funny thing is, I don't think the girlfriend is the once who needs to be convinced on the cranium mounted safety vs. frame mounted safety debate.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso

The Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" has a safety on it, and it has a laser attached for improved sighting. Oh, it is also chambered in .380 ACP, so you would not have to go out and buy different ammo.:D

Another one falling into the great marketing ploy of having a laser on a .380 pocket gun. It is only good for shooting within conversational distances and is thus strictly a SD gun. At that distance your chances of using a laser are slim. More than likely, you are pulling a .380 out of your pocket and shooting from the hip or doing a quick point and shoot. It's better to practice and practice shooting at a target 5 to 7 yards with a quick point and shoot.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Most folks who invade the homes of others wouldn't wait for her to insert the magazine, and chamber a round ...
    Kind of the same (ish) reason I don't wear gloves to shoot no matter what the weather. I can't see telling a bad guy, "hang on a sec, I have to put my shooting/winter/tactical/whatever gloves on!" Also, same reason I used to go straight to the range from my previous job and spend time shooting in what I wore to work. Wearing heels definitely screws with your center of gravity and balance. In the same vein, I couldn't see telling a bad guy, "You just hang on a cotton pickin' minute!! I have to take these shoes off and put sneakers on!!"
    What's that saying? "Train how you'll fight and you'll fight how you trained"?

Top Bottom