• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Because they don't carry a home background check kit around in their back pocket and prefer to have at least some indication that a buyer is allowed to possess a firearm before they sell.....something about not wanting to bunk in a federal prison. Sure, they can legally choose to go without....and hope for the best, but believe it or not, some people want more than the say-so of someone they don't know before turning over a deadly weapon to them.

Pansies.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You know, some folks just rather sleep better at night knowing they give a **** about who they may be arming.

LTCH can be faked, yes. But diligence is so easy.

What is the the law is one thing. What rules people set for transactions are another. Don't like their rules, too bad go cry about it.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    You know, some folks just rather sleep better at night knowing they give a **** about who they may be arming.

LTCH can be faked, yes. But diligence is so easy.

What is the the law is one thing. What rules people set for transactions are another. Don't like their rules, too bad go cry about it.

Not cryin. Just a question man. Relax ( You too HoughMade)

I understand why now. Thank you.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Some folks aren't satisfied with the current level of government mandated infringements so they create extra hoops and conditions of their own.

It is their right as a seller to demand whatever condition they can dream up of potential buyers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you were just asking for info., I apologize for jumping on you with both feet. It's just that when this issue is brought up, in the past it has been more in the form of a rant than simply seeking information.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :horse:Didn't we get just get done with a massive thread about this same topic? :starwars:

I'm too lazy to look it up for you, Grahamsy. Just try searching for "bill of sale". There's a bunch of pros/cons, but ATM is (gulp) right.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    It's just a way to cover their butt. They know that way that you've been through a background check.

What he said. Even though the pink piece of paper is easy to Photoshop, it's about the only thing at our disposal to ensure we've done our due diligence in ensuring we did not sell to a criminal.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Some folks aren't satisfied with the current level of government mandated infringements so they create extra hoops and conditions of their own.

It is their right as a seller to demand whatever condition they can dream up of potential buyers.

Yet we (collectively) call gun grabbing politicians "hypocrites." I'm not saying the buyer doesn't have the right to ask for whatever they want. Heck, they can require that you drive a Chevy 4x4 to the transaction for all I care, but I think a better judge of character is skimming some of their INGO posts or talking to them. Yeah, they could fool you, but it's way easier for them to fake a LTCH. Oh well, JMO, but I want fewer restrictions, not more.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The neat part about it, is it's the seller's CHOICE and not mandated by the government. I've seen ads that require the transaction to take place FTF at LGS and have a 4473.

All depends on the comfort level of the seller and how much butt covering they want to do.

I don't condone one method or the other, but advocate that the seller be allowed to make the decision instead of .gov forcing things down our throats. :yesway:

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    I have no problem showing my LTCH, I often ask to see the buyers as a condition of sell. If they give me no flak and say no problem I don't even ask for it during the sell. I mainly pop the question to get a feel of who I'm selling to.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They are only giving themselves a false feel good. Also reducing the number of folks that will respond. Their loss.

Once you sign a receipt/document you are no longer responsible for any action taken by the purchaser with the merchandise in question. No different than buying/selling a car.
    I will not submit to this for personal reasons.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    Yet we (collectively) call gun grabbing politicians "hypocrites." I'm not saying the buyer doesn't have the right to ask for whatever they want. Heck, they can require that you drive a Chevy 4x4 to the transaction for all I care, but I think a better judge of character is skimming some of their INGO posts or talking to them. Yeah, they could fool you, but it's way easier for them to fake a LTCH. Oh well, JMO, but I want fewer restrictions, not more.

I think that is unfair to the Ford fans who don't want to support government motors. I prefer to give the buyer a physical challenge, like eat a worm, or do 3 somersaults. :D

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon

I know I don't have to but I will not sell to someone unless they jump up and down on thier left foot and wave thier arms singing rubber baby buggy bumpers 5 times without stumbling words, then and only then will I procede with the ftf sale in the McDonalds parking lot. Why McDonalds? Why not? It's my sell, my conditions. If the prospective buyer does not like it then too bad. My rules. Na na na boo boo. I'll take my gun and go home. :n00b:
    (Obviously that was in jest.)

To the OP. Just as mentioned it's only a "feel good" issue. Just as some will want to engage in face to face conversation to "feel" you out. If I see your permit, or I talked to you and you seem decent, then you passed my personal screening process. I can know I did my best within reason to make sure you're a proper person.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

rthatchjr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    I think that is unfair to the Ford fans who don't want to support government motors. I prefer to give the buyer a physical challenge, like eat a worm, or do 3 somersaults. :D

I am suing on behalf of all fat guys in the state!! We rolliepollies can not somersault!! but we do a hell of a duck waddle!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They are only giving themselves a false feel good. Also reducing the number of folks that will respond. Their loss.

Once you sign a receipt/document you are no longer responsible for any action taken by the purchaser with the merchandise in question. No different than buying/selling a car.
    I will not submit to this for personal reasons.

Yes and no. If I sell my car to a felon who uses it in a crime, chances are I won't have to answer any questions.

If I sell a gun to a felon who uses it to commit a crime, I may have to answer a lot of questions and hopefully they believe me that I had no "reason to believe" he was not allowed to possess firearms. It's not foolproof, but some precaution beats none.

...as an aside, I, as a private citizen, cannot violate someone's 2d Amendment rights, so I can choose whatever precautions I prefer.

Cassada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I agree with Houghmade. It is a way to cover your ass when selling a firearm. Its a way to make sure to your knowledge that person is not a felon.

Top Bottom