What's the difference between Ruger Mark I and Mark III?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    Just wondering. I'm really enjoying my Mark I (until I have to clean it). I saw a Mark III in the shop the other day and wondered what the difference was between models.

Thank you.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Basically mags, trigger, hold open last shot and age.

I also think that the Ruger mark II gov't target is the best and the super eight. I am very biased because it was the first pistol I ever purchased. Still use it all the time.

DSC03077.jpg

Ian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Basically mags, trigger, hold open last shot and age.

I also think that the Ruger mark II gov't target is the best and the super eight. I am very biased because it was the first pistol I ever purchased. Still use it all the time.

DSC03077.jpg

Where did you get that sweet scope mount? I want one!

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    Mark I
    1. 9 round mag
    2. No last round bolt hold
    3. Manual bolt hold with safety
    4. Mag release on heel of grip

Mark II
    1. 10 round mag
    2. Last round bolt hold
    3. Mag release on heel of grip
    4. Some models were drilled and tapped for scope mounts

Mark III
    1. 10 round mag (not compatible with Mk II)
    2. Last round bolt hold
    3. Thumb mag release
    4. Mag safety/will not fire without mag
    5. Loaded chamber indicator
    6. Drilled and tapped for scope mounts

My preference is the Mk II, but the new mag release is much better in my mind. With a little work, you can remove the mag disconnect safety and basically make a Mk III act like a Mk II. I own one of all three. Each are fun to shoot. You really can't go wrong with any Ruger .22 pistol in my mind.

And don't be intimidated by cleaning it. Go slow, read the instructions, and ask questions. My dad showed me when I was 12 how to do it. I messed up a few times in the beginning, but can do it with my eyes closed now.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I can take it apart alright. Putting it back together can be a bear. Kind of a 3D jigsaw puzzle. Sometimes I can get it all on the first try, sometimes I have to put it away in pieces and come back later (when I've calmed down).
    I wish my dad had showed me when I was twelve, or I wish I had paid better attention...

I do love it. It shoots easily and it's a lot of fun putting holes where I want them in the targets. Seems to eat any ammo I feed it so far. Not picky at all. A nice piece.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    If you are going to play games like rimfire madness then consider the MK3....the mag release makes mag changes faster. I shoot a 25 yr old MK 2 and am still happy with it. The daughter shoots a MK 3 and doesn't like my MK 2 because of the mag release.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Does anyone know what the difference is between a MKIII and a 22/45 MKIII? I know there are different mags, but any other?

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone know what the difference is between a MKIII and a 22/45 MKIII? I know there are different mags, but any other?

I was just going to post with 22/45 > MK.

I believe all 22/45 have standard mag releases. The 22/45 lower is polymer reducing weight. It has a 1911 grip angle instead of the more swept back Luger grip style of the MK series. The newer ones are available to accept standard 1911 grip panels.

Dissasembly sucks on both but they shouldn't need much more than a bore snaking very often. I can easily go through 500 rounds without any cleaning or lube on mine.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a I and a III. Got the III in a fit of dumb following some disbelief from others that my solution to getting the I to eat HPs would work. Took that III apart and whatya know, just like what I was going to do. Finally (!) got that [bad word] III back together, and once I extend the ramp on the I I'll find the III a new home. Hardly fired, I'd trade it straight up for a good II.

The II/III mags can be modified for the I. The little button on the side needs to be a little button on the other side. Some disassembly required, but it's easy. Still haven't quite worked out keeping the catch from snagging on the bottom of the metal.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I had to do a bit of filing on the mag lips on my MKIII to get rid of stove pipes, but since then it's been perfect. If you get a MKIII, spend $10 on a mag disconnect bushing and it'll get rid of most of the drama of reassembly. Plus the mags will drop out easier. There are several sources for them. Here's one.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I had to do a bit of filing on the mag lips on my MKIII to get rid of stove pipes, but since then it's been perfect. If you get a MKIII, spend $10 on a mag disconnect bushing and it'll get rid of most of the drama of reassembly. Plus the mags will drop out easier. There are several sources for them. Here's one.

Yeah I think the MKIII hate gets blown out of proportion. I spent a few bucks on a MKII bushing, and disabled the mag safety. I've got no problem with the loaded chamber indicator so I left that as is, but it's also super easy to disable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you have problems getting it back together, you can always buy one of these:

Speed Strip Kit

They look good and several other INGOer's have recomended them. After 15+ years of putting my MKII back together, I can do it pretty easy and quickly.

Top Bottom