• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    I just recently applied for the Lifetime license to carry after holding the 4 year permit for 3 years. Wish I had done the lifetime the first time around. My understanding is that the lifetime will allow you to carry when you hunt. It goes without saying but make sure you have your handgun in a good holster that's made for the make and model handgun you are carrying.
    All the Best.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Lets all keep in mind that the people who enforce the laws relative to LTCH still call them "permits" I hear the words "Lifetime Personal Protection Permit" virtually every day on my scanner. I have never heard the words. Lifetime License to Carry Handgun".

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Lets all keep in mind that the people who enforce the laws relative to LTCH still call them "permits" I hear the words "Lifetime Personal Protection Permit" virtually every day on my scanner. I have never heard the words. Lifetime License to Carry Handgun".

Interesting. Very interesting.
    But here we call it a License.
    or a little pink piece of paper.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    i am currently applying for my Indiana handgun permit and have a question. What's the difference between the hunting/target and personal protection? (besides price) I just want a permit to carry anywhere I want. What's the best option for me? I'm getting a lifetime just like my hunting and fishing license :P

Qualified Handgun License: For hunting and target shooting

NOTE: Since the laws changes a couple years ago, this type of license is practically meaningless.

Unlimited Handgun License: To be able to carry a handgun for Personal Protection

Both licenses are available for 4-years or lifetime, and the only difference is the cost.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    To be fair to the OP, even the wording on the IN.gov website lists it as 'firearms permits', so let's not slam him too hard, shall we?

It's a license to carry handgun (LTCH), but when even the ISP gets it wrong, it's easy for newbies to get confused.

"Firearms Licensing" -> "Firearms Permit Application Process"

Permit is all over the **** page!

ISP: Firearms Licensing

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Go with the 4 year. I heard from a reliable source that the lifetime is going away on 1 Jan 2014 by executive order.
    :tinfoil:

Bob

Wrong. Lifetime LTCHs aren't going away - just the people who currently hold them. We will all be held at the secret FEMA internment camp at Camp Atterbury, and all of our personal clothing and effects will be disposed of in the special incinerator. :@ya:

Dmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Otisco
    I am also a newbie. This was very helpful, and quite funny. Thanks for the info. Also, INGO seems to become addictive quickly :)

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Dmoore, are you the infamous Dinty Moore? If so, you're bringin' the stew to the next range outing. :laugh: Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I currently have an Indiana Lifetime Personal Protection License. Does anyone know if any other states would recognize our Indiana License? Or where I could find this information?
    Thank you. Sorry, if this has been asked before. I am new here. Also No PM's until 50 posts?? Why???

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I currently have an Indiana Lifetime Personal Protection License. Does anyone know if any other states would recognize our Indiana License? Or where I could find this information?
    Thank you. Sorry, if this has been asked before. I am new here. Also No PM's until 50 posts?? Why???

The PM thing is to keep people only coming here to trade guns from doing so until folks get to know them better.

You need to bookmark this site. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

You might also peruse the FAQ's. A lot of stuff newbies ask about is covered there:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners-faqs-sticky.html

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom