• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    It sounds like people have this idea that theres going to be a frontline where all the gun owners have amassed in the great big showdown and gun owners are
    Passing mags down the line. :rolleyes:

It would more than likely be one house at a time, televised, everyone watching as another "nutjob" gets taken out by SWAT and the Feds. No one is coming to his rescue, just a bunch of onlookers watching it go down, glad its not them. Then we hear the perp had amassed a "cache" of weapons and ammo. Thousands of rounds, they say. He was a one man army others say!

The "frontline" is on the internet and television. They're winning the hearts and minds of the sheep while their opponents are legislated into nutjob felons and portrayed en masse as paranoid and mentally incapacitated. Making YOUR rights ILLEGAL to stand and fight for. Due process gone. Now a member of Americas ghost population, the felon, the non member of society.

pretty narrow point of view really. im a hoarder by nature. not just ammo, but parts, fuel, anything i can use. of course i have to have limits to this.
    growing up on the farm, you didnt always know what the winter would bring, or if the next crop would be good. so we planned and prepped. you cant really start being prepared when youre at a time when you need to use your supplies. being snowed in for 3 weeks with zero outside contact puts prepping into REAL WORLD terms.

ever go to the range? a thousand rounds can go REAL fast and its gone. do that in a time like now and you wont see the range again for another 6 months.

FURTHER, if i ever have a personal SHTF, lost a job, med bills, etc, im sitting on a savings plan, that right now, would have better yields than amazon stock and am able to live comforatably without sucking on YOUR tax teat.

are you gonna tell me what an acceptable level of food, water, and gasoline to stock for winter? is me having livestock now considered an unaccepdtable level of hording

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Depends if you are a target shooter, hunter, have guns for home defense, or are planning on SHTF stuff. With the prices going up, I would just buy as much as your finances allow and then hold on to it. The prices are only gonna go up and supplies are going to stay tight.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    It sounds like people have this idea that theres going to be a frontline where all the gun owners have amassed in the great big showdown and gun owners are
    Passing mags down the line. :rolleyes:

It would more than likely be one house at a time, televised, everyone watching as another "nutjob" gets taken out by SWAT and the Feds. No one is coming to his rescue, just a bunch of onlookers watching it go down, glad its not them. Then we hear the perp had amassed a "cache" of weapons and ammo. Thousands of rounds, they say. He was a one man army others say!

The "frontline" is on the internet and television. They're winning the hearts and minds of the sheep while their opponents are legislated into nutjob felons and portrayed en masse as paranoid and mentally incapacitated. Making YOUR rights ILLEGAL to stand and fight for. Due process gone. Now a member of Americas ghost population, the felon, the non member of society.
    I like to think differently. I like to think that once people start seeing seizures like this and they are knocking door to door that we will stand up with each other. One man standing on his own cannot do much. Many men standing together can accomplish anything. I hope it never needs to be a "front line" issue. I hope we will stand for each other.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I stack several thousand deep of every firearm I own. Literally thousands. There is no stopping. I buy ammo at stores just like when I stop and pick up a copy of Cather in the Rye every time I go out. Literally thousands of copies of Cather in the Rye.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    th

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Wow makes me feel inadequate when I see 100,000 rounds and thousands of copies of catcher in the rye. You better hope that does not become a question on the gun form about how many copies of catcher in the rye you own. Lol

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Wow makes me feel inadequate when I see 100,000 rounds and thousands of copies of catcher in the rye. You better hope that does not become a question on the gun form about how many copies of catcher in the rye you own. Lol

All joking aside I just make a it a habit to buy ammo whenever I go out. Even if money is tight and I have to tighten my belt and all I could afford was a box of 50 .22 then that's ok. If 7.62 or 5.56 was sold out (Walmart) I would get a box of something I know would be wanted down the road that I don't even shoot. This is how I amassed 200 rounds of 308:dunno:.

Everytime you see one of those Blazer big boxes go on sale, don't get 1, get 2. It all stacks up after awhile.

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    Enough to get you to the range once a month and enough to get you through the first fire fight. If you survive, replenish your supply with the enemies weapons, ammo and gear.

Its not going to do others good while you sit on a throne made of ammo.

You can only load so fast and you can only carry so much.

Tell me, which is worse? Those hoarding or those capitalizing for financial gain. In each case, they're keeping ammo out of the hands of others who could potentially have their back. While I think the panic HAS sent a message, its been a sloppy and mismanaged one.

This :yesway:

A friend of mine used to always say that the day he needs an AR, they would be laying in the streets. He has since bought one, but that has alot of truth to it. If it comes down to an extreme situation where you would need your ammunition, you just gotta get through the first battle. After that there will be ammunition laying on the ground, probably already loaded in mags for you:):

Scout11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sounds like we all have thousands of rounds stocked up in our bunkers (perfect investment). Reloading is the way to go long term if your an active shooter- more fun to shoot if they are 1/4 the price. World goes to @##@ I will be selling my factory .223 for premium and reloading for pennies.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    pretty narrow point of view really. im a hoarder by nature. not just ammo, but parts, fuel, anything i can use. of course i have to have limits to this.
    growing up on the farm, you didnt always know what the winter would bring, or if the next crop would be good. so we planned and prepped. you cant really start being prepared when youre at a time when you need to use your supplies. being snowed in for 3 weeks with zero outside contact puts prepping into REAL WORLD terms.

ever go to the range? a thousand rounds can go REAL fast and its gone. do that in a time like now and you wont see the range again for another 6 months.

FURTHER, if i ever have a personal SHTF, lost a job, med bills, etc, im sitting on a savings plan, that right now, would have better yields than amazon stock and am able to live comforatably without sucking on YOUR tax teat.

are you gonna tell me what an acceptable level of food, water, and gasoline to stock for winter? is me having livestock now considered an unaccepdtable level of hording

Sorry that you take the term "hoarding" personal, but it was directed specifically at hoarders of ammo. Hoarding and being prepared are different things. In battle you distribute and redistribute ammo amongst the ranks. One guy with 2000 rounds isnt going to do much good when his fellow fighters are down to a mag each. Proper distribution PRIOR to a skirmish is what is ideal. Right now we have guys buying out ammo as fast as they can only to make a buck on the markup. Others are buying it up as fast as they can while theyve already got enough to fill the back of a truck. In the middle you have those who cant find any more ammo cause its gone or its rediculously expensive. Its not the gov doing this, its our own people. Sure, go ahead and say those people who cant find or afford the ammo they need deserve this since they werent prepared prior to you being prepared. The gov created the setting for this panic. The people bit the hook and went with it.

Narrow point of view? Please.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Times like these, we don't shoot down our inventory. If we want to shoot at the range, we buy ammo for it (at a premium sadly). That being said we have enough .308 to keep the grabbers at a distance for a day, enough shotgun ammo to protect the house for a couple days, enough 9mm to get us to safety, and enough .223 to defend the hide.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How much ammo is enough? I look at it in very different ways.

First off, I have what I call my working inventory ammo. This is the ammo I'm free to go to the range with and burn up as I please. I need this supply to be enough for at least one range trip regardless of whether it's an AR day, pistol day, or a precision rifle day. Usually I bring a couple, but I try to focus on one area while there.

The second supply of ammo is what I tend to think of as my ammo savings account or ammo 401K. It's a supply I don't intend to ever really dip into and I like to add to it slowly with time and watch it build up. I never really had this stored ammo supply before the '08 elections as that was really the first round of severe panic buying I'd been through in my adult life (early 30's). After going through a dry spell where I couldn't even find 22lr ammo I decided that wasn't going to happen to me again, ever. Buying a brick of 22lr every so often as the supply and cash have been available has left me with more than a dozen bricks and I feel pretty good that at least I know I'll be able to get out my little 22lr and go shooting.

As far as SHTF ammo talks go, I look at ammo supplies in the mindset of how many people would you want to be able to arm and can you supply to the teeth with ammo and resupply after being fully depleted? That's different for everyone.

As far as survivalist/hunting goes. If you wanted to be able to fire 1 round per day on average and have a few left over so you didn't run out after a year then 500 rounds per caliber used sounds like a good number to me.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana

Yeah, I go to the range once a month. I cant afford to shoot my entire supply nor pay for the time the range is charging me to shoot a thousand rounds though. Each round I shoot is meant to be THE shot. Perfect practice makes perfect. Pulling a trigger as fast as you can isnt considered practice, its just wasting the supply for everyone. Watching guys bump fire into bodies of water on youtube is just dumb. Sure we live in a "free" country, you can do what you want with your ammo. Shooting a thousand rounds per range visit though?

I typically shoot 100 rounds of 9mm at each range visit. I just got my SR22p, so I'll be shooting 50-100 rounds of .22 now as well. I've got 130 rounds for my FN5.7 so that gun stays locked away. Just got my PMR30 with 8 mags, so I'll be shooting probably 3 mags (90 rounds) of that now too. A grand total of ~290 rounds in a half hour to 45 minutes.

Each time I leave the range, I consider what I did right and what may have been wrong and how I can work to improve upon it before my next visit. :twocents:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I prefer a 3 year supply, 2 year supply minimum for each gun. I pretty much know what I shoot in a year +/- 500 rnds so it's not too hard to plan ahead. New calibers are the hardest right now due to over pricing and availability. Luckily for me 300 blackout is my only new caliber. I've still managed to pick up 2k in various weights so this year shouldn't be too bad if I'm careful with it until I can find more at a reasonable price.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Like any supply I store, I figure out how much I shoot on average, then store enough to enable me to shoot at that rate for some time period. Then I work on increasing that time period. I have an emergency reserve that is the "I don't ever touch this unless it's survival related." Everything else is subject to fluctuation. When ammo is available and cheaper, or I have extra money, I buy more. When it's in short supply or I have no extra money, I buy a little less. As I get older the amount I'll need to store goes down, but I'm still young enough that I'm working on increasing the amount over time.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Never have enough but I try to keep at least 1k rounds back of every caliber and any rare surplus ammo like 7.62 Radway Green I hang on to.

Top Bottom