What's YOUR favorite self-defense/firearms myth??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    * OC assures you won't be targeted because BG knows you have a gun.
    * CC assures you will be target because BG doesn't know you have a gun.
    * "I can draw faster than 'So & So' because I OC".
    * Competition shooting is of no value in training for a lethal force encounter.
    * Combat / FoF training fully prepares you for a lethal force encounter.
    * Non-lethal weapons shouldn't be carried because they don't work.
    * Carrying a non-lethal weapon for defense makes you look like a 'cop wannabe'.
    * Martial arts training has no place / use in lethal force training.
    * Martial arts training is a viable substitute for firearms training.
    * If you carry a gun, no martial arts training / experience is needed.
    * Tasers / stun guns will absolutely stop BG from being combative.
    * Pepper spray / CN / CS will absolutely stop a BG from attack.
    * 'This' gun or 'That' gun 'sucks' for self-defense.
    * 'This' gun or 'That' gun is the 'perfect' gun for self-defense.
    * "I will only need 'X' number of rounds to defend myself".
    * "I will need LOTS of rounds to defend myself".
    * "I carry a gun, and I can never be disarmed".
    * "I need no training with the weapon I just bought 'cause I have the RIGHT to carry"
    * "I was in the PD / Military, etc. 'X' years, never had anyone actually try to kill me, but I know combat".
    * "I participated 'X' number of competition shoots / combat courses, so I KNOW how it works".
    * "I practice with my gun everyday, and this best prepares me for a life or death encounter".
    * "I'm a 'crack shot', so I don't need tactics".
    * "I'm a badazz martial artist / MMA / whatever, though I've never been in a lethal encounter".
    * "I'm a martial artist, and if I just say 'Put down that gun and I'll kick your azz', the BG will comply".
    * "With a lethal encounter, there's a time to think and there's a time to act. And this is no time to think".
    * "I was trained by 'So & So' that's never been in a life or death situation, but 's/he' knows best".
    * "I have a badge / ribbons on my shirt which is the same as an 'S' on my chest".
    * "I'm a real big guy, and carry a gun, so NO punk is ever gonna mess with me".
    * "I'm not a very big person (male or female), so I'll never be able to defend myself well."
    * Most of PROPER lethal force training consists of shooting range and/or FoF training.

There's more, but this post is getting long! :D

Last edited:

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    The value of a new Ruger will increase if you holster it Mexican like.

OC firearms will be removed by sneaky 5 year olds.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    * OC assures you won't be targeted because BG knows you have a gun.
    * CC assures you will be target because BG doesn't know you have a gun.
    * "I can draw faster than 'So & So' because I OC".
    * Competition shooting is of no value in training for a lethal force encounter.
    * Combat / FoF training fully prepares you for a lethal force encounter.
    * Non-lethal weapons shouldn't be carried because they don't work.
    * Carrying a non-lethal weapon for defense makes you look like a 'cop wannabe'.
    * Martial arts training has no place / use in lethal force training.
    * Martial arts training is a viable substitute for firearms training.
    * If you carry a gun, no martial arts training / experience is needed.
    * Tasers / stun guns will absolutely stop BG from being combative.
    * Pepper spray / CN / CS will absolutely stop a BG from attack.
    * 'This' gun or 'That' gun 'sucks' for self-defense.
    * 'This' gun or 'That' gun is the 'perfect' gun for self-defense.
    * "I will only need 'X' number of rounds to defend myself".
    * "I will need LOTS of rounds to defend myself".
    * "I carry a gun, and I can never be disarmed".
    * "I need no training with the weapon I just bought 'cause I have the RIGHT to carry"
    * "I was in the PD / Military, etc. 'X' years, never had anyone actually try to kill me, but I know combat".
    * "I participated 'X' number of competition shoots / combat courses, so I KNOW how it works".
    * "I practice with my gun everyday, and this best prepares me for a life or death encounter".
    * "I'm a 'crack shot', so I don't need tactics".
    * "I'm a badazz martial artist / MMA / whatever, though I've never been in a lethal encounter".
    * "I'm a martial artist, and if I just say 'Put down that gun and I'll kick your azz', the BG will comply".
    * "With a lethal encounter, there's a time to think and there's a time to act. And this is no time to think".
    * "I was trained by 'So & So' that's never been in a life or death situation, but 's/he' knows best".
    * "I have a badge / ribbons on my shirt which is the same as an 'S' on my chest".
    * "I'm a real big guy, and carry a gun, so NO punk is ever gonna mess with me".
    * "I'm not a very big person (male or female), so I'll never be able to defend myself well."
    * Most of PROPER lethal force training consists of shooting range and/or FoF training.

There's more, but this post is getting long! :D

OP said favorite, tends to mean one.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "you need to have combat experience and/or be in a life or death situation to be a good trainer or defend yourself"

I agree with that. While a smart man learns from his mistakes, a truly wise man learns from other people's mistakes. A good training program can let you do both.

People tend to not rise to the occasion, they fall back on their training.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I had a friend in College tell me over and over
    "You don't need a gun because the police will protect you"

I informed her that the job of the police is to investigate the crime AFTER it has been committed. Did she see any police just hanging out in my apartment?

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Statistics show that you're more likely to injur yourself or a loved one if you have a firearm in the home, than to ever have a need for a gun throughout your life (or some such nonsense)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My favorite myth is that Glocks are perfect right out of the box and need no break in. If only that were true. I'm not knocking Glocks but am simply pointing out that they are just like any other gun. Any production firearm can have flaws that impact it's usability and you don't really know if your gun has one until you've run around 200 rounds through it.

I currently own, and love, 3 Glocks. My experience with them has been no different than it has been with 1911s or CZ 75s. In fact, it's actually worse than most of my other guns. Not by much, but I've had at least one issue with each of them that went away with a bit of use.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Statistics show that you're more likely to injur yourself or a loved one if you have a firearm in the home, than to ever have a need for a gun throughout your life (or some such nonsense)

If youre not considering hunting or practice/competition shooting, how is that NOT true?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had a friend in College tell me over and over
    "You don't need a gun because the police will protect you"

I informed her that the job of the police is to investigate the crime AFTER it has been committed. Did she see any police just hanging out in my apartment?
    When seconds count...the police are just minutes away. As far as myths go...I'm torn between the thought that when a man is shot by a 12 ga, it will blow him clean off his feet and throw him 10 feet in the air. The other is that a 44mag will blow your head clean off.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Then show how it is true!

The burden of proof lies with the person who made the statement. I'll debunk it, with facts, if anyone cares to go into detail support the original premise.
    But one should consider how many people have been involved in neg. discharges injuring themselves, intentional self-inflicted wounds, or children gaining access to a firearm and injuring themselves. Surely when taken against "needing" a firearm throughout the duration of you life (as in legitimate need), it pales.
    I have a pretty unique perspective as I have seen far more of the former, and very few of the latter.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The burden of proof lies with the person who made the statement. I'll debunk it, with facts, if anyone cares to go into detail support the original premise.
    But one should consider how many people have been involved in neg. discharges injuring themselves, intentional self-inflicted wounds, or children gaining access to a firearm and injuring themselves. Surely when taken against "needing" a firearm throughout the duration of you life (as in legitimate need), it pales.
    I have a pretty unique perspective as I have seen far more of the former, and very few of the latter.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the stats "proving" this are at best cooked if not downright fraud. It also greatly depends on where you live, what activities you take part in, and who your friends are.
    Also the number of defensive uses of a firearm is completely unknowable. The vast majority of uses go unreported. I can tell you that because twice now I've difused a situation and didn't report it.
    So even if the stats weren't cooked with stuff like including homes that have criminals, addicts, etc in them inside the population, it's still not a valid comparision because the numbers of events that prevented a crime are unknowable.
    We only know that areas with less firearms restrictions and more people carrying have less crime. That's it.

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    It actually will. Then a few well placed shots help keep him down.

Abs-1.gif

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    From a Lake County Sheriff's deputy:

"It's illegal to carry a gun with a round in the chamber in Indiana."

Top Bottom