What's your minimum mag count for a carry weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • how many mags qualify as "adequate"?

• Total voters

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    A couple of mags I bought for my latest purchase showed up in the mail today, which brought me up to what I consider my "minimum number" of magazines for any handgun I may possibly carry as a primary sidearm. Not necessarily the number I would carry, but the number I feel comfy with having at my disposal. I got to wondering where I fall in at in the hierarchy of magazine ownership.

So INGO'ers, what's your minimum number of mags you feel is "enough"?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I like to have at least 3 or 4 available. Rarely carry more than one spare.

Assuming I'm carrying one of those new fangled girly man self shuckers.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I buy no less than 5 mags for any gun I intend to carry. My track record with mags that have been dropped on the ground, and then reused without a thorough cleaning is not good. Since I carry one spare, that leaves me 3 that can be out out of service at any one time.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I don't carry a spare mag. Seems to me that 16 rounds should be enough...if I can't stop the threat with 16 I'm probably dead before I can change mags. I may carry a spare...still thinking about it. I have 2 spare mags for the Glock, and with the 92FS, I have 15 mags. :D

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I don't carry a spare mag. Seems to me that 16 rounds should be enough...if I can't stop the threat with 16 I'm probably dead before I can change mags. I may carry a spare...still thinking about it. I have 2 spare mags for the Glock, and with the 92FS, I have 15 mags. :D

+1. I like to bring 5 to the range. If I can't stop who or what with the "19+1" I have available. I have no business carrying it.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i keep the second one around mainly in case the first one malfunctions.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    i keep the second one around mainly in case the first one malfunctions.

Good call. I'll be honest and say that I haven't give much thought to the fact that my mag could malfuntion. I'll start carrying a spare mag. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mag carrier for doublestack mags (G22 or 92FS mags)?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Good call. I'll be honest and say that I haven't give much thought to the fact that my mag could malfuntion. I'll start carrying a spare mag. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mag carrier for doublestack mags (G22 or 92FS mags)?

that i dont know, because i half ass it and leave the second one in the jeep.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ill carry 2 mags for my M&P if I go to a rough side of town, but other wise I don't carry an extra mag. If 18rounds of JHP 9mm cant do the job then ill probably be dead before I run out of ammo. But I usually carry my S&W model 10, and same thing. Ill carry a speed-loader if im headed downtown, but otherwise I dont bother.

Now for home, well now I keep a stock pile, but that stock pile is between me and whoever trys to break into my place........ Lets just say I have enough ammo loaded in mags to last a while and leave it at that.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    For carry it's one in the gun and a spare in the pocket. For the range, well, I'm a mag whore so a minimum of 6 per gun.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I happen to have 6 for each, although my only real thoughts were to have the 4-5 minimum that seem required if you want to shoot most pistol games. Figure I might as well be able to shoot them all, if I get a hankerin'.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Wow......I misunderstood the question. I thought it was how many mags is "adequate" on your person with your carry weapon. I always care a spare.....unless I have a BUG, I may only carry a spare for one of the pistolas. I like to own at least 4 mags for every gun.

When I saw that someone voted for 9.........I thought, "wow, that's mall ninja to the max.....how do you carry them with all those Chinese stars on your belt.":laugh:

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mag carrier for doublestack mags (G22 or 92FS mags)?

I typically carry one spare for my FNP45. Uncle Mike's makes a single mag pouch that I like because IMHO it tends to look like a knife or multitool sheath. It has a large plastic strap on the back for normal vertical carry, and two smaller nylon straps for horizontal carry. I used to wear mine horizontal at the 7 o'clock position, but found that the smaller nylon straps were starting to pull away at the sew points, so I retired it.

I have a big box of old holsters, belts, duty gear, cell phone carriers, etc. As I went thru the box one day, I spotted a cell phone carrier I had thrown in the box because the velcro closure on the flap had given up. As I looked at it, I realized the plastic clip on the cell phone carrier would be PERFECT on the single mag carrier, because it would allow me to clip/unclip it without removing my belt. So, off to the hardware store I went, and Voila...
    IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

Top Bottom