What's your minimum mag count for a carry weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • how many mags qualify as "adequate"?

• Total voters

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    15 in the Glock, 1 spare 15 rd mag in the holster slidetop magholder and a third 15 round mag in my flashight and multitool belt clip (looks like a cellphone case).

Some people say "Why carry 45 rounds of .40 S&W"? I say well... the equipment I was already carrying had some empty room an my AK wouldn't fit.

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I carry two spares for three reasons. First is because of possible mag failure. Second is because of single stack capacity of eight per mag. Third is because the double mag holster gives a nice "footprint" about the same size as my IWB holster and feels equally well on strong/weak side

dsc04472i.jpg

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville

One in the weapon, one for backup, and two for range use. Need at least 2 at the range so you can practice tactical and speed loads. 4 also happens to be the minimum recommended for most classes, so thats another reason.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I realize we have a lot of members who weren't into guns back before 2004...

From 1994-2004 the nra sponsored assault weapons ban was in effect making it illegal to produce any new magazine over 10 rounds in capacity.

This meant that glock 17 mags reached a height of $80 for used and $100 for a new G17 magazine. Not just at gun shows, but on line. I saw some g17 mags as high as $125 at gun shows and they actually would sell. Heck new beretta 92f mags would run $50-60.

Those of us who remember the days of $100 g17 mags and $75 12 round hk usp 45 mags tend to buy extra magazines when we see them cheap.

With the flood of g17 mags and 92f mags onto the market since 2004, it would be decades before another ban would push prices on them to $100.

However that new XDm mag would triple in price over night (at least) if another ban were passed before barry gets out of office.

A stored empty mag will last for a century. If nothing else, it's an investment you can always recoup your money on... assuming you didn't over pay for it.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    I do not keep them all loaded but I like to have at least 10 magazines (and often more) that have been tested for function for each firearm I own. They are going to get dropped, stepped on, and used one after the other in training so it is nice to have plenty of spares.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I can answer the question two ways. I hate to stand at the range and load magazines. Ideally, I'd like to have however many magazines (depending upon capacity) as is required to load out a box of ammo (50 count).

When carrying, the one in the gun suffices nicely for me. I'm unlikely to encounter a prolonged fire fight. If I need more than what's in the gun, someone should be calling my next of kin.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    I have five magazines for my XDm. I don't carry a spare, however. If I need more than 17 rounds of .40 S&W, or have a failure, then I'm screwed. Then I revert to my 7 rounds of "backup" .25acp in my pocket. Hopefully it will be enough to make someone duck while I run away!

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i like to carry extra mags with hollow points but like ihateiraq said i will probably be dead before i have to use the 3rd mag or the perp is going to be swiss cheese

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I normally carry two 8 rd mags for my .45. BUT, in a "pinch" I keep a 15 rd and a drum mag in the truck! I won't lie, I can hit a nail on the head at 50 yards, but when leads flying back at me, I throw punches in bunches!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    After reading about living in NWI, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with just a pistol. I'm thinking, at least at home, a carbine and at least 4 30-round magazines would be a good start.

Top Bottom