• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    without proficient training in an enclosed quarters situation, a shotgun is going to be USELESS. at 10 yards the group of buckshot is about 4 inches if not less out of an 870 (18 in barrel). who has a 30 foot room?

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    without proficient training in an enclosed quarters situation, a shotgun is going to be USELESS. at 10 yards the group of buckshot is about 4 inches if not less out of an 870 (18 in barrel). who has a 30 foot room?

I dont think "useless" is the term I would use..... Yes you need to proficient with your weapon and know the spread. Who knew that a shotgun in real life doesnt work like the movies portray it?

Good article to read if you have the time:

Caliber Effectiveness: Real-World Statistics from Expert LEO Greg Ellifritz - Guns News and Guns Reviews at Guns.com

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm not even a fan of shotguns really besides their versatility and you should never feel outgunned in a HD situation with a shotgun unless you encountered armored thugs.
    That is what slugs are for...

Even if they do not penetrate the Armor, they hit like a freight train...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

If a 4" spread is useless, I guess a rifle or pistol is out of the question. You going with grenades, then?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    If a 4" spread is useless, I guess a rifle or pistol is out of the question. You going with grenades, then?
    the wield-ability of the shotgun would be a big problem for me with my current living situation, let alone buckshot taking out the neighbors cats. turning corners can be tricky.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I really, really like to use Grenades in clearing homes... :D

As long as it's someone ELSE's home.

the wield-ability of the shotgun would be a big problem for me with my current living situation, let alone buckshot taking out the neighbors cats. turning corners can be tricky.
    Everyone's living situation and background are different, and if it's not the right gun for you/yours, that's your choice. My only point was around the notion that since it will only have a limited spread at normal room distances, it's useless. Unless I'm mistaken, a pistol or a carbine has very little spread. You'd be left calling Jeremy to clear your house with his grenades. And he would, really.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As long as it's someone ELSE's home.
    When I was in Iraq I got to clear a couple of houses with the TOWs of a Bradley. Much more effective than Grenades...
    You'd be left calling Jeremy to clear your house with his grenades. And he would, really.
    Oh, hells yes!!! :rockwoot:

Like you wouldn't mind being involved in some Grenade Play... :):

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    At the OP

Compared to a pistol?

Stopping power? Yes
    Intimidation Factor? Yes (ranking a pump action is a distinct sound that humans seem to be instinctively aware of as danger)
    Storage? No
    Handling? No
    Capacity? No
    Chance of going deaf? Yes

I'm currently using my 10/22 with 25 rounds as a primary and my 9mm pistol as my secondary.

I don't know if I would feel any more or less safe or secure with a 20gauge? My AR-15 is sitting in the basement locked up because I feel it might be overkill and with its penetration dangerous to my neighbors and family.

I guess it all boils down to how comfortable you are with the weapon. If you are Johnny badass with a shotgun then why not? I don't live in a high crime area and don't have any enemies... More than likely someone invading my home is gonna be kids or thieves. If they can get past a rapid fire wall of 25 rounds of pinpoint 22lr, then I deserve to be robbed.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a pump or semi-auto shotgun for a HD weapon. they're not my preference but they can be effective in that role. Of course this is assuming that one actually takes the time to train with a shotgun and doesnt believe the myths that you don't have aim because buckshot destroys everything within a several feet radius or merely racking a pump shotgun causes bad guys to involuntarily defecate themselves and curl up in the fetal position and start sobbing uncontrollably.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I would definitely not want to be shot with one....

I assume when you say shotgun you mean a 12 gauge, and I doubt many people would argue that a 12 gauge shell is not capable of putting down an intruder at that short of a distance.

As far as capacity, or maneuverability, not all shotguns are equal.

3228035923_efd3c339f0.jpg

super_shorty_870.jpg

I have heard people equate a single 00 buckshot shell to 9 .380 rounds all hitting the target in a tight pattern at the same time. If the comparison is valid, even the tiny limited capacity aow could dish out more damage to a few targets than most mouse guns could after multiple reloads.

Then you have shotguns like the saiga12....

How I see it, more ammunition is always better... but even the run of the mill pump action shotgun with 6/7+1 is likely to take care of most home defense situations.

Another factor that is often overlooked, is that shotguns are inexpensive, and commonly familiar. Most males that have hunted are at least capable of running a pump action shotgun. They may not be well trained and know the preferred methods of sweeping a house, but I would assume most males over 21 years of age could make a shotgun go boom.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I would be comfortable using my 930SPX or 870 in a HD role though, with small kids in the house, the Glock 17 in the bedside gunvault takes up that duty.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    from someone that has cleared hostile buildings before here my:twocents:

far as stopping power you cant beat it but time for a pump gun to cycle and aim fire its next round is too long in my oppion.... wouldnt be my first choice... if i had a choice sbr but id still pick a good full sized handgun over a shot gun capaicty is just too low.... i do keep a shorter 870 with a police barrel in the house with buck shot but it would not be my first choice most likely id grab the 1911 on my nightstand

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

Guess you better bust out the blowgun cause everything is going thru the wall.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

You should tell federal that their flight control wads are USELESS because the spread is so tight. Some people like hitting what they are aiming at and not peppering their living room.

Top Bottom