• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    You should tell federal that their flight control wads are USELESS because the spread is so tight. Some people like hitting what they are aiming at and not peppering their living room.
    when you empty the tube on a cheap pump shotgun as fast as you can a full size handgun WHILE staying on target, then go for the shotgun. otherwise, get off my case.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    when you empty the tube on a cheap pump shotgun as fast as you can a full size handgun WHILE staying on target, then go for the shotgun. otherwise, get off my case.

I would submit that you're much less likely to NEED to empty a magazine to stop an intruder if the magazine in question is loaded with 12ga buckshot rounds than if it's loaded with 9mm. The shotgunner's first shot will be more or less the equivalent of your first 9 shots with a 9mm, unless he sucks like teddy used to... I also don't recall "cheap" or "pump" being specified in the question, but I'm old.

In any case, the reactions you're getting are around your 'useless' statement, not around your personal choice. If you're more comfy with a handgun, or a slingshot, or a crossbow, or an atlatl, go for it. But your assertion that a shotgun is 'useless' is bound to get people ON your case.

ETA: Before the pump shotgun crowd comes in and starts planning to storm the castle, I should clarify that I have no problem with pump shotguns, and that a trained shooter can put rounds out of a pump VERY quickly. Flanagan hand-tosses 7 clays and shoots them one by one before they hit the ground with a Mossberg 500. That, my friends, is insane. Oh, by the way, he shoots them FROM THE HIP. Don't break into Flanagan's house and test his pump shotgun speed.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My opinion is the shotgun is good for home defense. I also keep a 1911 on the nightstand next to the bed.
    A few weeks ago I heard a noise in the middle of the night and grabbed the Ithica lightweight 12.
    I like holding the trigger down and letting 7 rds go as fast as needed.
    Like any weapon you need familiarity with it and a proficiency for it's use.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

I have a high standard shotgun, i could prolly keep up with most people. Best "cheap shotgun" i think you could possibly find for about $100. Actually id prolly beat most people if they had say a glock xdm etc...

Not sure why i need to compare cheap pump to what $400-800 for a quality handgun.

The point is 1 ounce of lead every pull of the trigger be it in slug or buckshot form is impressive im not sure why you want the lead to not all be delivered on target. Federal flight control wads are most likely the most popular duty load for their ability to keep the pattern very tight. You worry about over penetration but want your lead to be all over the place. :dunno:

Worrying about over penetration id go with a taser as any firearm is going thru the wall.

I'm not even a big shotgun guy but id be very afraid of one pointing at me.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For clearing a house with trained, experienced professionals who have a preference (and access to) something better suited than a shotgun, great! But for the average person, without an abundance of training and experience in such matters, there is not much better than planning a good cover spot in the house that funnels intruders into one easy to defend opening (ie. a doorway) and holding at the ready about a foot high of the doorknob. Call 911 and commence to chew up anything that walks through the door until help arrives. It doesnt sound all internet commando tough, but it will increase ones chances of living through the experience. I would think that after the first person gets ended in a gloriously grotesque fashion, any following might reconsider the value of their original intent.

Top Bottom