• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    #1 actually has the greatest cross sectional area per weight of any shot, but it's not very common. 00 buck is real common, and stacks nicely in a 12ga shell. It's like 9 or 15 .380s per shot. I have an SX3 with 11+1 of 2-3/4s. That's like 108 .380s, nine per trigger pull, and it can fire as fast as an M2. Talk about a wall of lead; there's nothing else you can carry in your hands that will put it out like that. No SMG can compare.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Federal PD132 or LE132. Both are 8 pellet 00buck in Flitecontrol wads. They hold VERY tight patterns and have low recoil. I have also used Hornady's Critical Defense and it performs on the same level as the Federal. For a guy starting out, I'd say try some of each and make your decision on what works best in YOUR gun. I have a thousand or so rounds of the Federal on-hand so I'm not likely to switch to the Hornady any time soon...

Does the 8 pellet 00buck have the same tendency to have one pellet be a flier or does the 8 pellets hold a tighter pattern?

What are your thoughts on #4 shot instead of 00 buck?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the 8 pellet loads pattern like slugs for me out to 50 feet or so. they have less tendency to throw pellets like the 9 pellet loads do out of my gun. I don't see the throwing with the hornady loads either....

I don't really like #4 for a SD load because I prefer the weight of the 00 pellets and the pattern density I get from them in the Flitecontrol wad.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I got a can of it this week, $99 from ammuntion to go.

Then I found out that cheaper than dirt has it for $89. :(

2-FEXM12700AC - Ammo 12 Gauge Federal XM127 2-3/4" 00 Buck 9 Pellets 1325 fps 175 Round Ammo Can

I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe tomorrow. :D

Tried it today with some surprising results.

I compared with some other Federal ammo that I've had for about 15 years(bought it when I bought my Mossberg 500). Can't find any numbers on the boxes, but it's labeled 12ga 00buck tactical, reduced recoil. Here's 2 shots at about 12 yds;

DSCN3506w.jpg

Now here is 2 shots with the new XM127OOAC;

DSCN3505w.jpg

Tighter grouping with the new stuff. :D

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co

I compared with some other Federal ammo that I've had for about 15 years(bought it when I bought my Mossberg 500). Can't find any numbers on the boxes, but it's labeled 12ga 00buck tactical, reduced recoil. Here's 2 shots at about 12 yds;

DSCN3506w.jpg

DSCN3505w.jpg

:yesway: thanks for posting!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    PDX1 just cause I bought em Im usually a 00 buck guy. Usually my 10 gauge sits with me and not the 12s but thats different

I was just about to ask everyones opinion of the PDX1's ... They throw consistant patterns ... The only thing i worry about is the slug going through multiple townhouses

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I was just about to ask everyones opinion of the PDX1's ... They throw consistant patterns ... The only thing i worry about is the slug going through multiple townhouses

Yea that worries me too, but 00 buck would be around the same I think maybe a few less townhouses but still far less than most handgun ammo.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I load my 870 with extra hunting stuff.
    First shot is a 3" mag #4 turkey load, the rest low recoil foster slugs 2 3/4".
    Maybe not the best but I think doable........have yet to have it put to the test.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

DSCN3506w.jpg

DSCN3505w.jpg

Ok, saw I took the two shells apart to see the difference. While there were only minor differences, they are enough to cause an group size gap between the two.

DHH_0767pw.jpg

On the left is the older round, and on the right is the XM12700AC.

Both had similar white, granular filler. The balls on the left seem to be copper or brass. I'm guessing the other ones on the right are lead, since they won't stick to a magnet. ;)

The other diffence is in the white wad behind the balls;

DHH_0769pw.jpg

Maybe that's what helped shrink the groups. :dunno:

:D

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the ones on the left are copper washed lead. Neither of those are Flitecontrol loads.

thumbnail.aspx

Notice that the Flitecontrol wad doesn't open from the front end like traditional wads. Flitecontrol wads have fins at the rear that retard the flight of the wad instead of fins at the front of the wad that peel back letting the shot spread out.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    the ones on the left are copper washed lead. Neither of those are Flitecontrol loads.

thumbnail.aspx

Notice that the Flitecontrol wad doesn't open from the front end like traditional wads. Flitecontrol wads have fins at the rear that retard the flight of the wad instead of fins at the front of the wad that peel back letting the shot spread out.

Thank you, sir. I did a little googling yesterday, and found out that the newer load didn't have the Flightcontrol wad. But, I was curious as to the group size difference.

I might be shooting on Saturday. If so, I'll try to shoot the XM12700AC at 50' to compare group size with your Flightcontrol groups.

If so, I'll post the results.

:ingo:

Top Bottom