• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Union electrician in chicago... People always need electrical work. Between that and my fiancees family's bussiness im keeping busy. Plus everyone that knows me know ill dig ditches all day if it pays. So any odd job they need done im on top of it. Hell i snow shovelled and entire parking lot for one of the apartment buildings monday. I just enhjoy working and making money.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I've worked in a print shop for 31 years full time, and over the years I've had 3 side hustles, 2 were in pet shops, 1 with a friend, and the other after a friend threw an application at me and said we need help, I worked there for 5 years and at one time was approached to become the manager (at the time that happened I was an assistant manager), but I couldn't take the job, my (then) wife was pregnant

and the third side hustle is the one I have now, working in a gun shop, the pay isn't good, but I love it, its a small shop (2 employees) I work on Saturdays only, at times I take a vacation day from the main gig to work so the owner can take a day off (funeral, day trip, and so on) but more important than the money, I get to help people, I love it when someone says "****** gunshop didn't tell me that", or "I'm glad I stopped here" and so on, when someone says "you really know your stuff" my reply is they didn't hire me for my personality or smashing good looks!

sure it has it's downsides, after the first time I got a loaded gun pointed at me, I shook like a leaf on a tree for a couple of days, or the guy who said "I'm a machinist and I wouldn't shoot copper coated shot out of a judge, you'll mess up the barrel", and I gave up eating hot food at work, but I've made a lot of good friends, met good people, and got to hold quite a few nice weapons that i'd normally never see, that all matching harvester garand was a beauty, and that p38 with 2 numbers matching mags and the hand made holster from a ww2 vet was pretty cool (had his name and address on the holster), and ive even picked up a bargain or two myself (if the shop owners is out, and doesn't answer my call, its fair game!)

but the advice I give people looking for a "side hustle" is do something you like....for example, guns!....if I had a part time job working in another print shop, i'd be miserable!!!!!!!!!!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've been paid a time or two for things I've made for people in my garage wood shop, but I've never gotten to the point of trying to crank out stuff to sell. Maybe when I retire, maybe not. I'm mostly a slow worker, and I figure the value I get is the therapy and stress relief I get. I'm getting close to a year in to my current project, making two night stands out of 100-year old recycled yellow pine flooring that I pulled up out of an old house.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have a shop that allows me to do many things. Like the OP I built it up along the way and now in semi-retirement it is paying dividends. I mainly build hi-po engines for cars/bikes. I do some fab work when it comes along. I have 3 in the process right now and just set one in the frame of a resto-Mod projects.

We do HVAC work as well.

This is the Hot-Rod Olds we just finished and set in the frame.
    CQY099p.jpg

I like your hotrod in the top left background CM :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    but the advice I give people looking for a "side hustle" is do something you like....for example, guns!....if I had a part time job working in another print shop, i'd be miserable!!!!!!!!!!

Oy! That would be nice. My need for the income trumps my desire to do something like.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Still doing the band thing, an extra couple bills a year. Typically gig 6-10 times a year at $400-$500 a time, split five ways after tithe.

Not exactly a cash cow, but still fun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My side gigs don't exactly make money. More along the lines of pepper sort of things. Stuff that puts food on the table, saves purchasing costs, promotes cost saving hobbies vs habits that cost.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A very specific repair service for GSX-R throttle body components.

This is what I should do. Find 1 thing, do it well, and let other's know I do it well. Could have minimal tools, just the right set-up and would be efficient and effective at it.

When I worked for ITW, one of their cultural core values was that the ideal business did/sold/made 1 thing. And they made enough of a living to do that. Not really reality but it was a direction to go instead of trying to be everything for everybody.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is what I should do. Find 1 thing, do it well, and let other's know I do it well. Could have minimal tools, just the right set-up and would be efficient and effective at it.

When I worked for ITW, one of their cultural core values was that the ideal business did/sold/made 1 thing. And they made enough of a living to do that. Not really reality but it was a direction to go instead of trying to be everything for everybody.
    Yup. Unfortunately, it's model specific and the well is starting to dry up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. Unfortunately, it's model specific and the well is starting to dry up.

Yup.....this tends to happen when we get locked into one thing.

Is there a chance of expanding on this or have the other models improved and do not need your attention.
    I had a lucrative deal doing carbs on the early jap street fighters. Modifying air boxes. Pipes and kits in the carbs. It was easy and paid pretty well. We got a lot of cam timing/cam swap work from this as well. Always 2 or 3 in the shop and some waiting.

Then, as with you, technology stepped in and that well dried up.

Top Bottom