When are people going to say enough and stand up to the destruction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Level 6 felony. Class A misdemeanor if unloaded.
    Unless the use of deadly force is justified. Pointing is not deadly force. Don't point unless you need to use deadly force.

Last edited:

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    No, it's not.
    I'll put my lawyer against your source. Unless you're justified in using deadly force, YES it is considered deadly force.

317-844-4297. Give him a call and tell him you want in on his next lecture covering Indiana's firearm laws. Hell try asking on his FB page, maybe he'll answer for free there.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll put my lawyer against your source. Unless you're justified in using deadly force, YES it is considered deadly force.

317-844-4297. Give him a call and tell him you want in on his next lecture covering Indiana's firearm laws. Hell try asking on his FB page, maybe he'll answer for free there.

deadly force or not its still illegal.

(2)  IC 35-41-3-3 .

(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Level 6 felony.  However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

If your lawyer told you that pointing a firearm = deadly force, then you need to find a new lawyer. Or you need to listen better when he's talking. It's against the law to point a firearm at a person without justification. A low level felony if the gun is loaded. That doesn't make it deadly force.

Why don't you ask your lawyer to cite an Indiana case where someone was convicted of using "deadly force" for merely pointing a firearm at someone.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    If your lawyer told you that pointing a firearm = deadly force, then you need to find a new lawyer. Or you need to listen better when he's talking. It's against the law to point a firearm at a person without justification. A low level felony if the gun is loaded. That doesn't make it deadly force.

Why don't you ask your lawyer to cite an Indiana case where someone was convicted of using "deadly force" for merely pointing a firearm at someone.

First off I did listen very well, here's a short audio clip stating it's deadly force.

https://youtu.be/fV8707uLs50

2nd, I'll question him when I have just cause to. He's not the only person that's practices law for a living that's told me this.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    First off I did listen very well, here's a short audio clip stating it's deadly force.

https://youtu.be/fV8707uLs50

2nd, I'll question him when I have just cause to. He's not the only person that's practices law for a living that's told me this.

They are all wrong, then. Simply pointing a firearm is not a use of deadly force. It may be construed as a threat of deadly force.

Besides, the crime is "pointing a firearm." There is no crime of "using deadly force" in Indiana.

Thus, the statement that "iTs dEaDLy fOrCe!" is silly and irrelevant.

What's next..."brandishing?"

:):

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Where’s the “force”?

force.png

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    They are all wrong, then. Simply pointing a firearm is not a use of deadly force. It may be construed as a threat of deadly force.

Besides, the crime is "pointing a firearm." There is no crime of "using deadly force" in Indiana.

Thus, the statement that "iTs dEaDLy fOrCe!" is silly and irrelevant.

What's next..."brandishing?"

:):

I never said there was a law called Using Deadly force. It's an element.

Considering the Guy I paid to go over this with had a hand drafting some of the current firearm laws, I'll trust him and his education over what you think you might know.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Considering the Guy I paid to go over this with had a hand drafting some of the current firearm laws, I'll trust him and his education over what you think you might know.

We may just be lowly cops, but I think we know a thing or two about Indiana law and how it's interpreted. I'm with Route on this one.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Pointing a firearm can be an element of the actual use of deadly force, but it is NOT, in itself, a use of deadly force as you keep insisting.

Here's the Guy's course description from his website. Wonder why pointing a firearm is mentioned separately from actually using deadly force in the course description if pointing a firearm IS deadly force. Point a firearm and/or use deadly force. Weird.

https://www.tactical-firearms.com/course-schedule.html

[FONT=&amp]Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law is a full-day course (approximately seven hours) that includes a complete educational program on the laws affecting an Indiana gun owner - including both Indiana state law and applicable federal law. This program includes a wide-ranging discussion of the statutes and court rulings that affect Indiana gun owners' ability to legally carry a gun, draw a gun, point a gun and/or to use deadly force to protect themselves or others. The course also covers the law determining potential criminal and civil liabilities for inappropriate use of a firearm.

[/FONT]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pointing a firearm can be an element of the actual use of deadly force, but it is NOT, in itself, a use of deadly force as you keep insisting.

Here's the Guy's course description from his website. Wonder why pointing a firearm is mentioned separately from actually using deadly force in the course description if pointing a firearm IS deadly force. Point a firearm and/or use deadly force. Weird.

https://www.tactical-firearms.com/course-schedule.html

[FONT=&amp]Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law is a full-day course (approximately seven hours) that includes a complete educational program on the laws affecting an Indiana gun owner - including both Indiana state law and applicable federal law. This program includes a wide-ranging discussion of the statutes and court rulings that affect Indiana gun owners' ability to legally carry a gun, draw a gun, point a gun and/or to use deadly force to protect themselves or others. The course also covers the law determining potential criminal and civil liabilities for inappropriate use of a firearm.

[/FONT]

I think 10-32 is confusing what constitutes the "threat" of deadly force (against which you have a right to defend yourself if you reasonably believe they're going to shoot you) with the "actual" use of deadly force. If you point a gun at someone, and they don't shoot you, and you don't shoot them, then they have committed either a misdemeanor or a low-level felony. At least that's how I understand the law (as expained by Guy).

Top Bottom