• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    When you are shopping at a large chain retailer and make your purchases, you walk towards the exit, you may have items too large to fit in a bag, you are stopped by a greeter, or security person and asked to produce a receipt. What is your normal response ?

(since it matters, let's assume for this situation that the retailer is not a "club" like Sam's, or Costco that has an agreement with it's members to check receipts for every patron upon exiting the store)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never been asked except at Sam's Club. But then again, I don't do much shopping and the FedEx guy just drops my purchases at my kitchen door.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If I set the alarm off at Walmart as I'm leaving I just keep on walking out the door. Just because they didn't deactivate the security device on one of my items is not my fault. When they took my money for the items they became mine. If they want to search them they can do so at the customer service desk as I return them.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    If I set the alarm off at Walmart as I'm leaving I just keep on walking out the door. Just because they didn't deactivate the security device on one of my items is not my fault. When they took my money for the items they became mine. If they want to search them they can do so at the customer service desk as I return them.

This is typically my M.O. as well. Just wanting to get a feel for what others may or may not do.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

This is typically my M.O. as well. Just wanting to get a feel for what others may or may not do.

This hasn't happened to me in a long time. If somebody's standing around the door, I'd show them the receipt. But I'm not going to wait around to be checked.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It's private property... that said, I hate being treated with suspicion... but it's better than being banned from returning because I tried to take the high ground.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have no problem showing the receipt. To me it's just not a big deal, I won't go shopping if I don't have 5 extra seconds to spare.

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    I don't have a problem with it. I know people may not like it, but there is a reason for them doing so. That store must have a high shrink (theft) problem. If we all refuse and want the store to do nothing to combat the problem, then the cost of everything is going to go up and we'll all pay more. It must work to prevent the shrink otherwise they wouldn't have someone doing it sucking up payroll dollars.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If it doesnt fit in a bag, I dont blame them. I show it to the elderly folk. How can they know I didnt just go back to electronics, throw a 50" TV in my cart and try to walk out the door?

Dont get me started on Fry's up in Fishers. They check every last receipt like a Sams club whether your stuff is bagged or not. One of these days I am gonna feign panic and bolt out the doors when asked for my receipt just for S&Gs. Unfortunately typically when I am there I am doing so for business, as well as they are a client of ours so I have to tread lightly.

And its not like I cant fix the issue with returns. I own highligters so I can simulate the squiggly line they put down the receipt to show its been checked in case I ever have to return the item.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I won't shop at Fry's because of their policy of checking receipts and bags. I shouldn't have to prove I'm not a thief just to leave your store. It's their store and they can do as they wish, but I just shop elsewhere. I'm not much of a computer guy so anything that I would need there can be purchased somewhere else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom