Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Really interesting in-sight into a lot of INGO members here. It's hard to judge a persons character in a venue such as this but this thread has painted several people in a really pathetic light!:noway:

You forced me to dig through to see what the fuss is about.

Eh, nothing unexpected given INGO history.

As for receipt showing, I could care less.

But, I could care more. ;) It's no skin off my back and minimizing shoplifting benefits all paying consumers.

What grinds my gears is if I use those frustrating self check machines and bring my own bags, I either have to have someone inspect it or keep it off the scale. It'd be pretty easy for me throw an extra item in the bag and slip by, so a quick looksee by the exit "guard" is acceptable and understandable.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    You can also show your upbringing by being polite to a person, probably elderly, that need that job.

I have a personal policy of being very courteous and friendly to anybody who's doing a crappy or low-paying job.

I used to have a service job when I was younger, and it did teach me a lot about people.

Last edited:

BFP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Seymour
    I had an issue with a rather large ogre once at Wal-Mart demanding my receipt. I'll make a long story short, I asked for a manager. After a long wait and a brief discussion her only answer was "it's Wal-Mart policy". My response was finally well I have a new policy, I will no longer submit to showing you anything after I've paid for it. After I've paid for it, it's my property and not any of your business what's in my bag/s. She told me that Wal-Mart has the right to check the bags and receipt prior to me leaving the store. I told her if it goes that far against my will, you better call the police, because there's going to be a situation.

I followed up with a local LEO, a guy I went to school with, played Football with, we've been friends for years. I asked about the situation, he said Wal-Mart has the right to detain me if they suspect I'm stealing something. He didn't cite statute, and I'm sure I wouldn't have remembered if he had. He seemed rather surprised that I had an issue with the policy. He went on to ask, if I pulled you over and asked to see in your trunk you wouldn't let, I'm like absolutely not. Maybe I keep my GI Joe collection in there, maybe I keep my crossdressing stash in there, whatever I keep in there, it's nobody's business but mine.

My policy now is when I'm asked for my receipt, I merely say no thank you and continue walking. I don't want to be rude, I try to be courteous, I really don't want to come off as a jerk. If the buzzer goes off, again I continue walking, I paid for it, it's not my problem if they didn't deactivate the security device.

You can paint me as a crazed, lunatic, right wing whacko, whatever you want to paint me. This is not a Fourth Amendment issue per se, this is not the government doing this. However, I feel like my rights cover me, regardless of what entity is trying to infringe upon them.

I do allow Sam's Club to do whatever it is they do with my receipt, because I knew prior to buying there, those are the rules.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Some classy people in here. I have no issue showing a person my receipt when I leave a store. It's a big problem with a number of stores. Thieves walk in pick up a TV and walk out, ignoring the typically elderly doors people. At the very least you can help target theft issues by complying. You can also show your upbringing by being polite to a person, probably elderly, that need that job.
    Well said

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Some classy people in here. I have no issue showing a person my receipt when I leave a store. It's a big problem with a number of stores. Thieves walk in pick up a TV and walk out, ignoring the typically elderly doors people. At the very least you can help target theft issues by complying. You can also show your upbringing by being polite to a person, probably elderly, that need that job.

I completely understand checking a large or expensive item when a customer is walking out with it. Hut when you have 2 full carts of plactic bags and they want to check out everything in the bags, I have a problem with that, especially when the person dojng the checking is rude.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I completely understand checking a large or expensive item when a customer is walking out with it. Hut when you have 2 full carts of plactic bags and they want to check out everything in the bags, I have a problem with that, especially when the person dojng the checking is rude.

How about when you have six cases of soda in the cart and ten bags piled on top of the soda, and they want to stop you because the cashier didn't put stickers on the cases?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Its almost laughable the amount of people in this thread that appear to think that because their opinion is opposite of others that they are all high and mighty and resort to make comments about peoples character and blah blah blah.

So let me get this straight... Because I choose to keep walking or politely say no thank you..... that makes my character in question?

What a load of :poop:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, as comes as no surprise, it's not just government that some people have a problem.

It's anyone asking them to do anything that was not their idea, no matter how inconsequential and logical.

I'd love to sit down with some parents and see what the teen years were like with some of you.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If you know what the deal is before you walk into the store, then IMO you are obligated to comply. If you don't plan to follow their rules, then don't shop there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Some interesting comments here.

Personally, I will either:
    1) wave it at them if I happen to have it in my hand. (Rare, as I usually pocket it with my wallet)
    2) Say "no thanks"

If they suspect I am stealing/shoplifting, there is well documented legal procedure they are welcome to follow.

As I reflect a bit on this, I find that I rarely visit stores that have this sort of policy. Well, other than Sam's or CostCo. Walmart, Best Buy, and the like just aren't on my list. I wonder if their "atmosphere" has impacted my shopping preferences?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I asked about the situation, he said Wal-Mart has the right to detain me if they suspect I'm stealing something. He didn't cite statute, and I'm sure I wouldn't have remembered if he had.

1) This is true if probable cause exists. A store can detain you for up to two hours or until police arrive IF THEY HAVE PROBABLE CAUSE, just like any other arrest requires. I'm too lazy to look up the code, but that's the law in Indiana.

2) Failing to show a receipt and/or setting off a buzzer does NOT equal probable cause.

3) Not all stores know this. I had one store on my beat that got pretty upset with me because I kept letting their "shoplifters" go, as they were detaining people for setting off the buzzer and then I wouldn't search them or let them detain them further. I finally told them next time I was locking them up for criminal confinement if they didn't have REAL probable cause. They complained. The Prosecutor's Office got involved, their corporate got involved, every single one of their loss prevention employees at that location was fired. I'm sure those folks who were detained could have successfully sued if they'd been of a mind to, and apparently Corporate knew that as well.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you know what the deal is before you walk into the store, then IMO you are obligated to comply. If you don't plan to follow the rules, then don't shop there.

Sam's club for example? I have no problem since that was part of my membership agreement, and they check everyone's receipt.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    likenyour really one to talk about class :lmfao:
    i was assuming the OP was talking about loss prevention people hassling them for a receipt. I'm not gonna be rude to a elderly or mentally handicapped person. But the LP ****tards in most stored are overly agressive dumb plain clothed security guards that can bite me. They can look me up in camera and if there's something they wanna discuss they can call my lawyer. I'm not a thief.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) This is true if probable cause exists. A store can detain you for up to two hours or until police arrive IF THEY HAVE PROBABLE CAUSE, just like any other arrest requires. I'm too lazy to look up the code, but that's the law in Indiana.
    As these are private citizens, I assume this is along the lines of a "citizen's arrest"?

I mean, how exactly would a Wal-Mart greeter effectively detain someone? I assume it would have to be pretty voluntary.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

2) Failing to show a receipt and/or setting off a buzzer does NOT equal probable cause.

3) Not all stores know this. I had one store on my beat that got pretty upset with me because I kept letting their "shoplifters" go, as they were detaining people for setting off the buzzer and then I wouldn't search them or let them detain them further. I finally told them next time I was locking them up for criminal confinement if they didn't have REAL probable cause. They complained. The Prosecutor's Office got involved, their corporate got involved, every single one of their loss prevention employees at that location was fired. I'm sure those folks who were detained could have successfully sued if they'd been of a mind to, and apparently Corporate knew that as well.

Years ago, I worked loss prevention at Target. We were told from day one that we had to be 100% certain that we were stopping had actually stolen something. If we weren't 100% certain, we were not to stop them because it wasn't worth the lawsuit if we were wrong. If we stopped someone and we were wrong, it was instant termination.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom