• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've only ever really overheard stupid crap at Cabela's and I jumped in once but usually I'll wait until the disengage the conversation and then I'll day something to the misinformed customer.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    One of my uncles who retired in his 50s and has never fired a gun in his life just took a part time gig at a gun counter at a big box retail store 3 weeks ago. He bought his first pistol 2 weeks ago, a Taurus g3c. He's a really good guy but I had to laugh when I found out. I wished him good luck lol...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Having been on the other side of the counter, I can say knowledgeable customers correcting sales staff to help another customer is a rare thing.

Most times it is the customer ,or their helper, that is wrong.

I for one, have zero problem saying " i dont know " but often know where to go to find em an answer....
    computer, another person, or send to specific forum/ shop.

Wanna ruin your hobby? Make it your job.

People really do suck.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Those cable locks are so chnitzy it's hardly a safety issue. Probably the best advice is to throw it away when you get home.

If the LGS guy starts spouting about Lifetime Larry's going away, or it's illegal to wear a mask and carry a gun, then I'm piping up.

Having been on the other side of the counter, I can say knowledgeable customers correcting sales staff to help another customer is a rare thing.

Most times it is the customer ,or their helper, that is wrong.
    Probably a more likely scenario.

I've come to realize that INGOers are smarter than your average Indiana gun owner.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One person cant learn it all, and why would they want to?

Also, just because a person read it on some forum doesnt make it true. Had an old timer that would come in and rattle, he read this, he read that.

Offered some help one day and I politely corrected him. He reiterated what he had read. As if reading it made it true.

Told him I own one, shoot it, and kill stuff with it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hang out for a bit when shopping, no hurry plus entertaining.

Have heard tons of BS from either side of the counters. Some salesmen, shops worse than others.

And I stay out of it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Never had a prob at Cabelas in Nobletucky.
    Not heard bad info either.

But then they just talk to each other and ignore customers.

Went twice to buy a scope, knew what I wanted.
    30 mins and nothing.

So when in the area we stop in, buy shoes or clothes and skip the gun dept. Not kidding

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Know how? Maybe those people just didn't have any desire to use it for its stated purpose and decided to use it for something more useful to them.

I'd say 90% of the times I've seen a cable lock used to "lock" the case, it didn't accomplish that task, as it could still be opened enough to remove the gun.

Putting it through the trigger guard does nothing to prevent access, loading, or firing of the gun.

Interested to know how either of those are more useful.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . Never had a prob at Cabelas in Nobletucky.
    Not heard bad info either.

But then they just talk to each other and ignore customers.

Went twice to buy a scope, knew what I wanted.
    30 mins and nothing.

So when in the area we stop in, buy shoes or clothes and skip the gun dept. Not kidding

Yep. No more Cabela's guns for me. My blood pressure won't tolerate the stupidity.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The best one I over heard at a LGS.

You don't need a carry permit to open carry. You only need it to carry concealed.
    ME: that's not true, you need a license to carry a handgun, period. It doesn't matter how you carry.
    You don't know what you're talking about. I'm an NRA trainer and I teach classes.
    ME: well, you're teaching people how to get arrested. Good job, buddy.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    A few years back before they went bellyup I was at the Gander in Castleton poking around the pistol case.

A young couple was looking at carry guns for her. I heard him say he was a cop but that's no guarantee that he knew guns.

They were looking at one of those super lightweight Smith 5 shots. In .357 no less. She was remarking on how light it was. Not one word from the kindergarten kid working for the store. The husband seemed oblivious. I HATE getting involved in stuff that's not my business, but I knew that if that girl fired a shot from that damned thing she's scream, drop the gun, and start running. She'd still be running today and still wouldn't have the use of that hand.

I stood it as long as I could, then, apologizing to the kid, I interjected and explained to the couple that they'd be making a BIG mistake to buy that gun, and why.

The couple was grateful for the advice. The kid sheepishly said that he was getting around to telling them that.

No, he wasn't. Because he didn't know any more about that gun than he knew about nuclear fission.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The best one I over heard at a LGS.

You don't need a carry permit to open carry. You only need it to carry concealed.
    ME: that's not true, you need a license to carry a handgun, period. It doesn't matter how you carry.
    You don't know what you're talking about. I'm an NRA trainer and I teach classes.
    ME: well, you're teaching people how to get arrested. Good job, buddy.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rookie again.

:laugh:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A few years back before they went bellyup I was at the Gander in Castleton poking around the pistol case.

A young couple was looking at carry guns for her. I heard him say he was a cop but that's no guarantee that he knew guns.

They were looking at one of those super lightweight Smith 5 shots. In .357 no less. She was remarking on how light it was. Not one word from the kindergarten kid working for the store. The husband seemed oblivious. I HATE getting involved in stuff that's not my business, but I knew that if that girl fired a shot from that damned thing she's scream, drop the gun, and start running. She'd still be running today and still wouldn't have the use of that hand.

I stood it as long as I could, then, apologizing to the kid, I interjected and explained to the couple that they'd be making a BIG mistake to buy that gun, and why.

The couple was grateful for the advice. The kid sheepishly said that he was getting around to telling them that.

No, he wasn't. Because he didn't know any more about that gun than he knew about nuclear fission.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Its people like you that ruin me getting a deal on a barely used Scandium J magnum ;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I only butt in if there is a big problem happening. Like the time I overheard two Lowes employees talking. Both old enough to be a grandpa and should know better.

Guy1: You only need a concealed carry license in Indiana if you want to hide it under your jacket. You can carry your pistol out in the open without one.
    Guy2: Oh, Ok. I didnt realize that. Thanks. I guess I dont need to get one then. I dont feel the need to hide it.

I politely joined the conversation and delicately tried to fix the bogus (and dangerous) information. Guy1 was insistent. So I asked him if he had a permit. He said he did. So I asked him to show me where it said concealed. He confidently reached into his pocket with a "gotcha" look on his face. That look disappeared when he read it front to back, top to bottom. He eventually said "Huh. I never noticed that. Thanks."

Guy2 gave Guy1 a look and then said to me "Oh yes, thank you VERY much. I need to get my permit then. "

JiujitsuHound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2020
    Shelbyville
    I spent a few years selling firearms at the LGS and I can see it both ways, but tbh proper information can only benefit the customer. Some larger chain stores pay their gun counter people commissions on each sale, so maybe that had something to do with what he said?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My rule is that I only butt is if it is incorrect legal advice that may result in an arrest or a safety issue--or, if someone who knows me, asks me a factual question about the law or something I am down with, e.g. Smith model numbers, otherwise I zip it, and that is hard for me.

In all my years, maybe a dozen times I have mouthed off but I plead Necessity in all of them.

"This rifle gun is highly ackawrit." "Kel Tec is great". "Just as good as ______".

I just smile and move on.

OTOH, if I hear "You kin fire that thar 20 gauge in a 12, just wrap eet in that duck tape."

I will say something.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    On the other hand I've heard more bad information come from a costumer that butted into the conversation than I have from a salesperson.

Customers with a degree from the U of Tube aren't in short supply and as Hookeye said, People really suck. Unless it's pertains to something that might get someone hurt I chuckle to myself and stay out of it. Too many people can't force the "I don't know" phrase through their lips and a shop that has Maroons selling guns will eventually reap the rewards for that.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Top Bottom