Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Dana made the statement that 2.5 million guns sold to 1st time buyers/owners in 2020.

That's an absolutely huge number when you really look at it.

It’s also possible that the manufacturers learned from the last drought as well. If they were smart they invested some of the millions they made last time into better more productive equipment.

HAHAHAHA no. From what I remember none of the ammo companies really did any capacity expansion. A few (Hornady and CCI come to mind) did replace old obsolete machines. From what I saw the thinking was why expand/increase when after the shortage we'll have to mothball machines and lay off workers IF the new lines even come on line in time. IIRC the only companies that have done much expansion have been Ruger and Magpul. Magpul had built their new plant when they moved from CO with an eye on doing just that and Ruger's was mostly in their casting operations with plans to get into non-gun work.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It’s also possible that the manufacturers learned from the last drought as well. If they were smart they invested some of the millions they made last time into better more productive equipment.

Lets also remember that the US Army and Marine Corps are now buying Magpuls and with that the aluminum mag companies now sell all their production to the general public.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Steel, I like to store them on magnet bars

I might just stock up on some aluminum ones anyway or pmags. Anyone used Amend2 mags? Seeing them pretty cheap, but I'm usually skeptical of poly mags other than Magpul

Also seems I'm going to have to get over my dislike of AK mags with the bolt hold-open lol

:ugh:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Mags are easier to stock up on. Maybe the majority of people learned from last time? I’m sure it will happen, just wait until the guntubers point it out.

This. And more likely, when the Facebookers point it out. That's what happened with toilet paper. It's amazing people can't come up with an original thought in their head - then when they see it on social media - they go full sheep. Same with the preppers and .22LR last time.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    It's nearly upon us. If you need magazines, you better get them soon. It's already hit the distributors, only a matter of time until it hits retailers. Prices are already starting to edge up a little.

One of my distributors had 280,000+ Pmags in stock a couple weeks ago. I still had a few cases and figured there was no hurry to order them. I sold a bunch that weekend so I went to order some about 4 or 5 days later. They were sold out.

I've been ordering anything I can get while I can, but most distributors are already out of all the common magazines.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    When they become outlawed or restricted is when the fun begins, back in 1993 I saw that a local LGS (the old POPS on Mithoffer) had Glock-19 standard magazines for $15 ea, the day of Clintons AWB, they went immediately to $30 each and I bought the two he had displayed the day before at $15 ea.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    It's nearly upon us. If you need magazines, you better get them soon. It's already hit the distributors, only a matter of time until it hits retailers. Prices are already starting to edge up a little.

One of my distributors had 280,000+ Pmags in stock a couple weeks ago. I still had a few cases and figured there was no hurry to order them. I sold a bunch that weekend so I went to order some about 4 or 5 days later. They were sold out.

I've been ordering anything I can get while I can, but most distributors are already out of all the common magazines.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your POV

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    When they become outlawed or restricted is when the fun begins, back in 1993 I saw that a local LGS (the old POPS on Mithoffer) had Glock-19 standard magazines for $15 ea, the day of Clintons AWB, they went immediately to $30 each and I bought the two he had displayed the day before at $15 ea.

It got better than that, a friend and I bought a few gross of Glock mags before the ban kicked in and we rented one table at two local shows and sold glock and sig mags for 100 to 125 each. The getting was so good that even the gun manufactures got into the game, Glock offered to trade PD's there used Glocks and mags for new Glocks and mags.
    With just the WDC Metro PD Glock swapped 5,000 pistols and 16,000 mags for new ones. A healthy profit was made by all involved.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I remember in the last magazine shortage that aluminum mags were going for $100 each or more and pmags went for $150. I couldn't believe that when I saw it. I learned my lesson from that and the 94 ban, but in both those cases when the guns and ammo dried up so did the mags.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All I can say is.....If you have been in the game for any real length of time and have not made the effort to be well stocked all around for what firearms you own then I can only stand watch and smile.

No knock my friends but the grasshopper and the ant comes to mind.

If you waited until now to buy you 1st gun for what ever reason I wish you luck in feeding it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    All I can say is.....If you have been in the game for any real length of time and have not made the effort to be well stocked all around for what firearms you own then I can only stand watch and smile.

If you waited until now to buy you 1st gun for what ever reason I wish you luck in feeding it.

I couldn't agree more with this. It's sad, but I can only lead a horse to water and can't make them drink. At some point we reap the benefit or suffer the consequence of our decisions.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

When magazines are $10 each or thereabouts, there is NO reason not to have a lifetime supply of them. While many of us might have a few dozen to a few hundred of them around because they are cheap and we learned from '94, most casual shooters will have a lifetime supply of mags with 10-20 of them.

I sympathize with newer or younger shooters, but far too often the crying comes from people who had the opportunity to know better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When magazines are $10 each or thereabouts, there is NO reason not to have a lifetime supply of them. While many of us might have a few dozen to a few hundred of them around because they are cheap and we learned from '94, most casual shooters will have a lifetime supply of mags with 10-20 of them.

I sympathize with newer or younger shooters, but far too often the crying comes from people who had the opportunity to know better.

Precisley.

Just got off the phone with an individual I have not seen or spoken to in years. Yet he knows I am a serious shooter and base line prepper. Convo started out with the pleasantry's and then went to....."Hey man".....blah blah blah I need some ammo. 9mm and 223 if you can spare any. I know you have a lot.

Deep breath and SIGH. He was not happy at the end of the convo. Told him to loose my number.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Precisley.

Just got off the phone with an individual I have not seen or spoken to in years. Yet he knows I am a serious shooter and base line prepper. Convo started out with the pleasantry's and then went to....."Hey man".....blah blah blah I need some ammo. 9mm and 223 if you can spare any. I know you have a lot.

Deep breath and SIGH. He was not happy at the end of the convo. Told him to loose my number.

I've had similar discussions with people and all I can say is that I don't have any for sale. Whatever I have is for my normal use and upcoming competitions. If they get grumpy about that, then it's absolutely the type of person I don't want to have any part in them being armed.

I've had other people call me asking where they could get some ammo and I told them if they're completely out I'll give them a 50rd box. Then they say, oh well I've got 2,000 rounds I just wanted more and that's when I start laughing and say WTF!?!?!? When it's someone who doesn't routinely shoot and if anything it's rare that they ever do, and they've already got thousands of rounds I ask them why they'd want to pay a premium and buy at higher prices. If anything I steer people like that into buying the better defense rounds because you'll be paying a smaller premium on that than a larger premium on the cheap plinking stuff.

More times than not with either case, I end up rolling my eyes and doing my best to be polite. It doesn't always work out though.

Top Bottom