• ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You block out bad memories.

Post 94 it was the AK and 15+ round pistol mags that were hot commodities. Not as many people were into ARs because we had imported a metric crapload of AKs and SKS dirt cheap so everyone had one or twenty. I remember a G17 magazine going for over a hundred bucks in 1990s dollars.

Post Sandy Hook it was AR mags because suddenly the "build your own AR" movement had taken off so lots of people had them when ARs became more popular after the 94 sunset because of the import ban so AKs and SKS were going up.

Im from Maryland, we dont block out anything. lol.
    I was selling during the 10 year ban.. I sold glock mags at a tipton and muncie show for 125 bucks a piece during the craziness of the 94 ban. What i dont remember is ar mags for 100 to 150 bucks a piece after sandy hook and i was living back in Maryland at that time..

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After typing my last response I looked at botach who is usually where I would buy OKAY mags from. They're completely out. I started looking elsewhere and it seems they are out all across the board. I am going to assume that I can safely say the magazine shortage is now kicked off.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When were Pmags 150 bucks? Not during the 94 ban, Pmags didn't hit the street until 06.....

I assume he's talking about post Sandy Hook.

Could be, I dont remember those prices at all.

And it can only get worse.

Buy what you can now.

If you're buying now you're too late. All that does is accelerate the problem.

For rifle mags, I'm absolutely set. For pistol mags on my go to guns, I'm absolutely set.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If you're buying now you're too late. All that does is accelerate the problem.

It all depends on how and why someone is buying.

I have not changed my buying pattern in the last 10 years. When I had a spare $100 I’d get 10 p-mags or wait until Glock mags were under $25 and I’d buy 10 at a time. My grandkids will be set for life on equipment if they continue to love shooting sports as much as they do.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It all depends on how and why someone is buying.

I have not changed my buying pattern in the last 10 years. When I had a spare $100 I’d get 10 p-mags or wait until Glock mags were under $25 and I’d buy 10 at a time. My grandkids will be set for life on equipment if they continue to love shooting sports as much as they do.

When shortages happen my buying goes down because like you, I am pretty well set on everything. What does not help is fueling the panic by saying things like "hurry and buy now!" because that just makes it worse for everyone. People are cattle and easily stampeded.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    mags.jpg

https://magcommander.com/8-pack-of-magpul-gen-m2-moe-black-pmags-30-round-223-5-56-ar-15-magazines/

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    For rifle mags, I'm absolutely set. For pistol mags on my go to guns, I'm absolutely set.

I know this has been discussed on this forum before under different circumstances, but I am curious. What do INGOers consider 'all set'?

How many mags is the comfortable minimum under current conditions?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That sounds better... I know me, if they were selling for 150 each I would have told myself when this passes to put a case of them away for the next shortage..

I may or may not, have had the exact same thought..... There's a reason I'm not in need of mags.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think that's a question we all have to answer individually. For me it goes something like this. How many mags do I want put away in pristine condition that are available and ready to use? How many more mags do I want all colorfully taped up and beat to heck from training? How many more mags do I want put aside for a rainy day when new people I know and love who finally got their eyes opened up a bit now want mags? There could be more reasons, than just those, but that's how I break it down for me and I'm all set.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I think that's a question we all have to answer individually. For me it goes something like this. How many mags do I want put away in pristine condition that are available and ready to use? How many more mags do I want all colorfully taped up and beat to heck from training? How many more mags do I want put aside for a rainy day when new people I know and love who finally got their eyes opened up a bit now want mags? There could be more reasons, than just those, but that's how I break it down for me and I'm all set.

I'm pretty much the same. There's working mags, there's setback mags, and there's give one to a friend who just got into shooting when there is a shortage.

Mags are like reloading supplies. Buy a few extra when I have extra cash and forget about them. Dip into the stock whenever I want a few more working mags and don't even think about it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How many mags is the comfortable minimum under current conditions?

Until you're in the hundreds range, you shouldn't consider yourself "all set."
    Magazines are a wear item, like brake pads on a car.

If you think 10-20 is "all set" you're going to be in for a rude awakening as time moves forward.

And you'll likely never see a break down situation where you're given the chance to scavenge items.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

I'm pretty much the same. There's working mags, there's setback mags, and there's give one to a friend who just got into shooting when there is a shortage.

Mags are like reloading supplies. Buy a few extra when I have extra cash and forget about them. Dip into the stock whenever I want a few more working mags and don't even think about it.

Is it a bad thing when you hit a gun show and you always park next to the ammo can guy so you dont have to drag them to your truck....

The last Muncie show my bestie went with me, while loading 20 and 40mm ammo cans she looked at me while shaking her head mumbling wtf is wrong with you.....

Top Bottom