• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man, I have some terrible luck. Went to do a roof today for a fellow INGO'ers girlfriend today. On the way back I am pretty sure I blew a rear main seal on my 2004 F-250, 4x4 with 5.4L......the thing is puking oil out of back of engine, but I am glad I got home. Any of you ever replaced them? I usually always do my own mechanical stuff, but not sure about this. Sounds like driveshafts, tranny and transfer case have to come out. This truck has over 400,000 miles on it. Wonder how much a mechanic would charge for fixing this? I am so busy right now, but I may have to just take a couple days and try fixing this myself......I hate to put a ton of money in it. Just wondering if any of you have ever done this. How long did it take?

Thanks!

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    If you don't have a lift I'm guessing it's too much time! I'm guessing your bill will be 2500 and they'll find a few other things along the way. You must love that truck!

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The rear crank shaft seal replacement requires removal of the transmission, but is a pretty easy replacement once you get to it.

I have no real experience with pickup trucks, but I did replace the transmission in my cousin’s F150 a couple years ago, and I think book time was between 8-10 hours.

It’s probably a bit more on the 3/4 ton trucks, but I wouldn’t expect a mechanic to charge more than maybe $1000-$1500, depending on their labor rate.

It‘s not something I am equipped to do, and I’m not sure I would recommend a DIY attempt on that job…I hope that helps!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I would try to make sure it's the rear main before I made a plan. The 5.4 is know for oil leaks from the head gasket as well. I only know of one personally that was major, but it was major.

400k is a good run with a 5.4. Difficulty can increase depending on the condition of the truck, rust can make things much harder.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I would try to make sure it's the rear main before I made a plan. The 5.4 is know for oil leaks from the head gasket as well. I only know of one personally that was major, but it was major.

400k is a good run with a 5.4. Difficulty can increase depending on the condition of the truck, rust can make things much harder.
    And this one has many of rusty parts.......other than where the oil has kept them conditioned.
    As others have said, disconnect/remove trans, replace seal, reinstall. Not technically difficult, but the effort/labor to R&R the transmission isn't insignificant.
    Yeah, I am not looking forward to this......but no way I am putting $1000-1500 in this thing. Wish me luck, lol!
    The rear crank shaft seal replacement requires removal of the transmission, but is a pretty easy replacement once you get to it.

I have no real experience with pickup trucks, but I did replace the transmission in my cousin’s F150 a couple years ago, and I think book time was between 8-10 hours.

It’s probably a bit more on the 3/4 ton trucks, but I wouldn’t expect a mechanic to charge more than maybe $1000-$1500, depending on their labor rate.

It‘s not something I am equipped to do, and I’m not sure I would recommend a DIY attempt on that job…I hope that helps!
    Thanks for your opinion. I am not looking forward to this......guess I will just start with transfer case removal and see how it goes from there.....maybe a tow truck ride to a real mechanic or the scrap yard!
    If you don't have a lift I'm guessing it's too much time! I'm guessing your bill will be 2500 and they'll find a few other things along the way. You must love that truck!
    I dont have a lift........but the good thing is it sits about 3 feet off the ground. Good for removing bolts.......bad for lowering the tranny I imagine.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    And this one has many of rusty parts.......other than where the oil has kept them conditioned.

Yeah, I am not looking forward to this......but no way I am putting $1000-1500 in this thing. Wish me luck, lol!

Thanks for your opinion. I am not looking forward to this......guess I will just start with transfer case removal and see how it goes from there.....maybe a tow truck ride to a real mechanic or the scrap yard!

I dont have a lift........but the good thing is it sits about 3 feet off the ground. Good for removing bolts.......bad for lowering the tranny I imagine.

Good luck with it. Let me know if you need a diagram or a tool you don’t have, I can probably help with either!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

A Harbor Freight trans jack. Facebook marketplace when your done with it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Did your brother do his own? Man, this thing is unreal. I worked for an hour and didn't even get the driveshaft bolts loose.
    Yes he did, there is a lift on the farm. I would hose down every bolt and nut with Kroil or another nut buster of your choice before shutting down for the night. And I would do it twice.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Did your brother do his own? Man, this thing is unreal. I worked for an hour and didn't even get the driveshaft bolts loose.
    Shame you're not closer. I'd do it at my shop for an Ingo discounted price of $785

FYI. Use a little map gas on the driveshaft bolts. They have loctite on them. Doesn't take much and they'll come right out

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Shame you're not closer. I'd do it at my shop for an Ingo discounted price of $785

FYI. Use a little map gas on the driveshaft bolts. They have loctite on them. Doesn't take much and they'll come right out
    I wish you were closer and I would gladly pay you. I got drive shafts out, transfer case skid guard out......think I am going have to remove transmission cross member to get to transfer case bolts. I am done for the night......been a long day, I am spent!! Thanks for advice!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had changed many (too many) clutches in my 71 Skylark. After the first couple I could grab the right tools and slide under the car and it was a pretty straight forward job.

Years later I was kind of roped into helping a friend with an older, heavily worked 4X4 pickup. He was between a rock and hard spot financially so I could not turn him away. Lots of extra parts, and every bolt fought us. That was a long, long weekend laying under that truck.

You have my sympathies.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well, I think I have decided this is just not for me.....gonna suck it up and pay to have this done. Just looks like a lot more than I want to deal with, and a few shops told me $800-900. The only problem is the quickest I have found one who can do it is next Saturday.....and one said mid September. Will make a couple more calls Monday, but looks like no truck this week :( I hate spending $1000 on this truck, but if it gets me another 3 months..... then I can look for a new truck this winter. I hate being forced to buy a truck because I HAVE to have it......

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I think I have decided this is just not for me.....gonna suck it up and pay to have this done. Just looks like a lot more than I want to deal with, and a few shops told me $800-900. The only problem is the quickest I have found one who can do it is next Saturday.....and one said mid September. Will make a couple more calls Monday, but looks like no truck this week :( I hate spending $1000 on this truck, but if it gets me another 3 months..... then I can look for a new truck this winter. I hate being forced to buy a truck because I HAVE to have it......
    good luck

Top Bottom