• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well, I think I have decided this is just not for me.....gonna suck it up and pay to have this done. Just looks like a lot more than I want to deal with, and a few shops told me $800-900. The only problem is the quickest I have found one who can do it is next Saturday.....and one said mid September. Will make a couple more calls Monday, but looks like no truck this week :( I hate spending $1000 on this truck, but if it gets me another 3 months..... then I can look for a new truck this winter. I hate being forced to buy a truck because I HAVE to have it......
    A man has to know his limitations. Good luck on the truck hunt it's tough right now.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Well, I think I have decided this is just not for me.....gonna suck it up and pay to have this done. Just looks like a lot more than I want to deal with, and a few shops told me $800-900. The only problem is the quickest I have found one who can do it is next Saturday.....and one said mid September. Will make a couple more calls Monday, but looks like no truck this week :( I hate spending $1000 on this truck, but if it gets me another 3 months..... then I can look for a new truck this winter. I hate being forced to buy a truck because I HAVE to have it......
    I've had good luck with Alexander Auto in Avon for my cars since I stopped doing my own stunts. Good luck.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Just ran across this in Logansport, they might take less. ???

1988 GMC 1500 regular cab SLE Pickup 2D 8 ft​

$2,800
    Listed 6 weeks ago in Logansport, IN

About This Vehicle​

Driven 142,142 miles

Automatic transmission

Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Red

Fuel type: Gasoline

3+ owners

Clean title
    This vehicle has no significant damage or problems.

Seller's Description​

Lots of life still left in this truck! Lots of new parts, newer 305 engine from napa, probably from around 2003ish, re sealed transmission 3 years ago.new fuel system( tank,pump,sender,lines) same as brakes, (calipers, hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, most lines. Radiator, water pump. Tune up parts. Distributor.Tires about 4 years ago, new starter last year, new shocks all 4,This truck is actually very solid underneath, can be picked up with a two post lift no problem. Newer bench seat, an two ten inch subs, an new radio an tweeters. A brand new interstate battery. P.side window quit working recently.or trade for higher end electric guitar, Kawasaki klr enduro,( have cash on my end also) or possibly anything crazy cool!! This truck needs sombody to love it an drive the ole girl! 2800obo shoot me an offer
    See less

358384819_6298689533519410_606397210548445326_n.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I can think of a couple trucks I've worked on where I would decline doing this job purely out of fear of what would get destroyed in the process. Not even being able to bust driveshaft bolts loose is already a bad omen.

It's not a complex job, just a heavy one. Times two for 4x4. But if the bolts are gonna shear and the exhaust is gonna tear apart and the mounts are almost gone already...

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well, called a few shops and ended up with my old buddy down South of Mooresville. He is a very good mechanic but usually too pricey for me. Everyone I spoke with was booked out 2 weeks plus. Took it to Bill. He said he didnt think it was the rear main because he has not seen many of them leak on the 5.4L 2V. He thought my tranny was going, but after he inspected he confirmed it is the seal and he can do it for about same as others......they tore it down today and hope to have it back for me tomorrow.

Really weird how this happened. The other day it was very hot outside when I was heading home from Center Grove......and I had 4 ton of trash on my trailer I was pulling. I got just about to Mooresville when it started smoking like a fog machine. I stopped at the Casey's at 144 & 67 and it litterally left a path of oil behind me and was dripping badly. I put oil in and drove to Danville. When I parked at my house it left a puddle at least 1 foot in diameter. I mean this thing was burning oil off exhaust and looked like it was on fire. Then Saturday I started it and ran it for 30 minutes.......just dripped 2 drops. Today I drove it back down South of Mooresville to my buddies shop and it lost no oil to speak of.

My question is why did it spew oil so bad when under a pull load on a 90 degree plus day.......but is not leaking that bad now? I am having it replaced just because I don't trust it. Just hope I am not wasting my money.

On another note.........he has a 2500 Chevy van. Has tool boxes in back of it, rebuilt transmission, brand new tires, 150K miles and said he would let me have it for $3000, think it is about a 2010..forgot to ask the year. I think I may buy that van to use as my main work vehicle and use the truck more sparingly. What you guys think? If I thought I could get my money back out of van when I buy a truck, I would have already bought it.

I like that 2500HD in classifieds.......just have a hard time paying $20K+ for a 2011 truck, although it looks well maintained.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Really weird how this happened. The other day it was very hot outside when I was heading home from Center Grove......and I had 4 ton of trash on my trailer I was pulling. I got just about to Mooresville when it started smoking like a fog machine. I stopped at the Casey's at 144 & 67 and it litterally left a path of oil behind me and was dripping badly. I put oil in and drove to Danville. When I parked at my house it left a puddle at least 1 foot in diameter. I mean this thing was burning oil off exhaust and looked like it was on fire. Then Saturday I started it and ran it for 30 minutes.......just dripped 2 drops. Today I drove it back down South of Mooresville to my buddies shop and it lost no oil to speak of.

My question is why did it spew oil so bad when under a pull load on a 90 degree plus day.......but is not leaking that bad now? I am having it replaced just because I don't trust it. Just hope I am not wasting my money.
    Check/replace the pcv valve.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well got my truck back and it was the main seal. I decided to buy a new truck........so now I am trying to sell the V Plow on my old truck.......and give them the truck if they buy the plow. Trying to get $3000 out of the truck and plow......which sucks since I paid $900 for main seal, $400 for plow controller and $500 for new plow motor just last year. I just don't trust this truck anymore......and even though I can get a motor with low miles for $400, I just don't want the hassle of changing the engine out.

Bought me a new to me 2016 F-250.........I can only hope I get 400,000 miles out of it!

Top Bottom