When Off-Duty Cops OPEN CARRY, did you notice . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I kept my pistol hidden when I was off duty. Never believed in telling the bad guys which person they should cap first in a robbery situation.
    This has happened where or when, please?
    According to the FBI crime data that I reviewed, there are ZERO instances of civilian who open carried who have been singled out and shot because they open carried. However, the same data showed 1 incident where 2 FBI agents walked into a bank robbery just as it was starting and were shot/killed.

However, from the civilian standpoint, there are no incidents of it ever occurring. Even from the officer standpoint, the one incident was pretty much a freak occurance; it has been postulated that if they had been inside the bank when the event started that their presence may have prevented the event.

Still, discussion of OC versus CC should be reserved for another thread as that discussion is OFF TOPIC in this thread, and this thread was simply about the LEO officers who displayed their shield next to their weapon when they OC.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I should think that most police officers would carry concealed when off duty.

When I was a detective, our attire was "soft" clothes, and we had a belt badge with the firearm, but I never carried that way when I was off duty.

When I'm off duty, it means just that. Of course, I carry a firearm, but I don't advertise. I would like to blend into the background, and not draw attention. I get nervous when I see people open carrying, but I realize that people have rights. When I'm not working, I don't make an issue of approaching someone that is open carrying, but I WATCH them closely.

The problem is, I don't know everyone and I am assuming that Joe Criminal is not going to carry openly to attract attention. However, when we assume, that makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Be careful when "open carrying." It may attract way more attention than you want.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Still, discussion of OC versus CC should be reserved for another thread as that discussion is OFF TOPIC in this thread, and this thread was simply about the LEO officers who displayed their shield next to their weapon when they OC.

What he said. We have debeted tirelessly OC vs CC. Please bring back an old thread and check it out. Rep for Melensdad!:ingo:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    According to my hubby.....it varies by department. He is required to carry at all times, if he needs to open carry then he is supposed to display his badge to help the sheeple feel better. Detectives who are plain clothes would also display their shield.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    What's the big deal? It is their right to OC if they want badge or not.
    I feel the displayed badge is part of the problem with the uneeded MWG call's as it conditions people to assume it is only OK for someone to have a visible firearm if they have a badge.

Last edited:

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Dug this one up from the archives, huh? :D

It's OK, I must have missed this one first time around.

Oh yeah. :rockwoot:
    Never looked at the date, but it popped up at the top of the page is what caught my eye! Glitch maybe? Has happened before.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Hmmm...I must have missed this the first time too.

We have a department SOP that states if you are going to carry off duty and the gun is not concealed then you must have your badge displayed.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Many cops realize that if you OC people **** their pants and dial 911. Most off duty cops that i know CC. Most Detectives and other non uniform po po OC with their badges. The theory behind that is if the officer while not in uniform gets in a shooting that is one more way that he/she has identified him/herself as the police.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I CC when off duty as required by my department policy. Unless I am working a "detail" or anything else in plain clothes. Then I am required by my department policy to display the badge on my belt or around my neck. I just prefer it to be on the belt and not around my neck for multiple reasons.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I have no problem with a cops OC'ing, just as I wouldnt with any citizen. its good to make guns carried by responsible people a common thing again. as far as the badge next to it ...... thats fine. Im sure they are aware it will bring more scrutiny to every action though even if off duty if people know they are a cop. Thats probly why most departments make them CC when off duty. One of my friends OC's with his badge in casual cloths sometimes. I have no problem with it. Probly makes some criminals second guess their actions.

while On Duty though, I think ALL cops should wear a standard uniform. no suits, no street clothes ect.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    SNIP.while On Duty though, I think ALL cops should wear a standard uniform. no suits, no street clothes ect.

I've thought this too. I understand that on rare occasions, a Detective may have be at an event that a suit is far more appropriate than his uniform. But, why just not ask a supervisor for permission to wear a suit to that event? Why is it that you cannot wear a uniform and sit behind a desk? Why to "tac" guys wear jeans and hoodies with vests over them?

I would have a way easier time identifying a fully uniformed cop as a cop than I would someone in jeans, a hoodie, and a vest with "POLICE" on the back... any thug can get one of those....

Ok, sorry for the thread hijack and rant off.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Many po po work all day in their uniforms, go home, then get called out later for EOD, hostage negotiations, fatal alcohol crash team, etc etc etc. Unfortunately when time is of the essence, a uniform isn't always practical and often people show up to scenes with outfits that are hardly professional.

Top Bottom