• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Heard on the news that a school up around southbend will start teaching a one half day in spanish. With all of the so called problems the kids seem to havre finding time to learn the basics I have to really wonder how this curriculum came about. I have nothing against a spanish class but this seems a bit over the top to me. I am afraid if one of my children happened to be in that class I just might be standing on somebody's desk speaking English.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I'd love for my child to start learning a second language that early..what exactly are you opposed to?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd love for my child to start learning a second language that early..what exactly are you opposed to?

Exactly. Immersion learning is how they learned English. Like it or not, speaking Spanish is a very marketable skill in almost any industry in this country.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Private Schools start with a second language in 2nd or 3rd grade, public schools should be no different. At my sons school they don't offer languages until high school. Its a positive when you apply for a job and you can speek 3 languages.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Do your kid a favor, when they are yelling at Dora and Boots in Spanish at the TV, its past time to start with a second language. Do it at home.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Do it at home.
    I'm not exactly sure how to do that..all the more reason for them to learn at school. I took french in HS and Spanish in college. Now all I know is a bastard version of both. I learned more Spanish working in restaurants than I did in school.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    If a kid can't learn the basics ze has a parenting problem, a second or third language will only increase their IQ is that a problem?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're in America about 100 years ago - just replace Spanish with German.

I heard about this as well this morning (same thing?), I understand it not to be geared toward your kids learning Spanish, but Spanish speakers learning English.

Which is better:
    (A) Dual language for some schools for the first few grades.
    (B) A large population of denizens that only speak Spanish.

I'll take the realistic option (A).

My concern is that this will result in a general reduction in the amount of material that can be covered. There's a paradox that is coming into play in schools - lower performing (i.e. dumb) students are improving their performance in grades because resources are directed toward that. In turn, less resources are dedicated toward high achievers (i.e. brainiacs) so gifted and talented programs suffer. The result is a reduction in the standard deviation, i.e. a drive toward mediocrity.

PS - Be thankful your native language is the Lingua Franca and learning a second language isn't essential.

PPS - Someone that finds the use of commas so elusive should not be throwing stones.

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Well I guess I will ask the question again where am I? When we were wallowing the trail spades on an 8 inch howitzer knee deep in mud the sarge said we were doing this for the AMERICAN way of life. Now if you gents are learning spanish so you can tell the illegals to go home and they will understand what you are saying I'm all for that but if you are just accommodating these law breakers that is something else again. Some of the news media is finally coming out with the true cost of the flood of people across our borders and it isn't a pretty picture, we quite frankly can't afford it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Well I guess I will ask the question again where am I? When we were wallowing the trail spades on an 8 inch howitzer knee deep in mud the sarge said we were doing this for the AMERICAN way of life. Now if you gents are learning spanish so you can tell the illegals to go home and they will understand what you are saying I'm all for that but if you are just accommodating these law breakers that is something else again. Some of the news media is finally coming out with the true cost of the flood of people across our borders and it isn't a pretty picture, we quite frankly can't afford it.
    I'm afraid that you are in the minority. Most folks think that the illegals should stay here and there are many churches and organizations supporting this. I'm not saying that I disagree with you, but it's the tide. I know some American citizens who only knew Spanish when they entered first grade and back then only English was allowed to be spoken in school (in and out of class). Those guys tell me that it was tough the first year, but being totally immersed in English was the best way for them to learn. These guys are above average. For a less gifted individual, it may be an overwhelming obstacle. If the purpose of teaching in Spanish is to help the Spanish speakers, they may not be doing them a service. If the purpose is for the English speaking kids to learn Spanish, it might be a good idea. Hispanics will be in the majority one day, so "When in Rome, do as the Romans do!" So back to the original question: "It is the new American, like it or not!" Back, wallowing in the mud, were Hispanics wallowing with you and the vast majority were red blooded Americans.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm not exactly sure how to do that..all the more reason for them to learn at school. I took french in HS and Spanish in college. Now all I know is a bastard version of both. I learned more Spanish working in restaurants than I did in school.

My kid has taken 2 years of Spanish, I bought him the Rosetta Stone CDs and his use of Spanish 10 folded in the next few months.
    When he is at one of my sisters businesses ( they have about 40-50 Spanish employees ) he does very well converceing in just Spanish now.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm afraid that you are in the minority. Most folks think that the illegals should stay here and there are many churches and organizations supporting this. I'm not saying that I disagree with you, but it's the tide. I know some American citizens who only knew Spanish when they entered first grade and back then only English was allowed to be spoken in school (in and out of class). Those guys tell me that it was tough the first year, but being totally immersed in English was the best way for them to learn. These guys are above average. For a less gifted individual, it may be an overwhelming obstacle. If the purpose of teaching in Spanish is to help the Spanish speakers, they may not be doing them a service. If the purpose is for the English speaking kids to learn Spanish, it might be a good idea. Hispanics will be in the majority one day, so "When in Rome, do as the Romans do!" So back to the original question: "It is the new American, like it or not!" Back, wallowing in the mud, were Hispanics wallowing with you and the vast majority were red blooded Americans.

So apparently your not a well traveled man, alot of the world speAks Spanish.
    Fourty + years ago we didn't have much of a immigration problem here, and with that why was French, German, Latin and Spanish offered as a second language when I was in school in the 60s and middle 70s ?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

pzkgfwulmcems9rn52ht.jpg

Top Bottom