Where are all the bone stock ARs for sale!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I really doubt he thinks he's getting a match grade rifle at price point of the kit plus a stripped lower. Im guessing he's looking for something lower end to punch paper and the Psa kit will do just fine for that purpose.
    Not everyone wants or needs a match grade rifle.
    Not everyone is gearing up for war or shooting for championship matches.
    Some people just like to shoot for the fun of it.
    Some people cant afford $1-3k for a rifle.
    That Psa kit will be just fine, for what im Guessing, his intentions are. Punching paper/range toy. Hell, it'll even be fine for shooting coyotes or home intruders if need be.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I didn't say to buy or not to buy,
    He asked about the upper & kit, and I gave an honest opinion.

'Assembly' rifles are ALWAYS glitchy, you *Might* get lucky and it feeds/fires reasonably well,
    Or you might be one of the endless supply of people with 'Issues'.
    Every firearms forum is full of them, and that's not the ones that took it to a gunsmith and got problems solved.

The same is true with $299 discount specials that were purchased assembled.

You pays your money, you takes your chances...

The best advise is to take training at a LSG (local gun store) where they let you shoot several makers and see what you like the best.
    You learn to safely handle the firearm, you get some trigger time, you get some pointers on shooting, and you aren't buying blind...
    Rentals at different gun ranges let you try different firearms also.

Since it's all about the barrel, no matter what rifle,
    You might also look for used NM barrels.
    NM guys OFTEN swap super quality barrels that still have tons of life left in them.
    It opens up from 1/2 MOA to 3/4 MOA, big deal!
    It's still not the $299 discount store barrel that shoots 3-1/2 or 4 MOA on it's best day...

There are also the overrun barrels...
    Not to long ago a contract got canceled, Midway USA picked up the overrun & had NM barrels for under $200.
    $800 each if you bought from the manufacturer, a $600 discount is what I call a DEAL!
    (I bought 10 before they ran out, where else are you going to get Kreiger NM barrels for $200?)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I appreciate all the expert advice. I really do. A month ago i had no need/interest in AR-15's. What am i going to do with it really? Cant hunt with it, dont have lots of land to fend the yotes off. Im a respectable shot, but no competition shooter.

but then this tread came along and i got to looking at build videos and looking at the options out there. And now i really want to build one for the sake of building and punching paper at the range. But its really about the build. In my current mind set, if a stripped lower and complete upper build goes well, and its as fun as it looks. I will probably up my game and go for an 80% lower build again, for the fun of the build.

I know with a ~$450 AR im not going to be the next Craig Harrison, I just really want to build a rifle.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I appreciate all the expert advice. I really do. A month ago i had no need/interest in AR-15's. What am i going to do with it really? Cant hunt with it, dont have lots of land to fend the yotes off. Im a respectable shot, but no competition shooter.

but then this tread came along and i got to looking at build videos and looking at the options out there. And now i really want to build one for the sake of building and punching paper at the range. But its really about the build. In my current mind set, if a stripped lower and complete upper build goes well, and its as fun as it looks. I will probably up my game and go for an 80% lower build again, for the fun of the build.

I know with a ~$450 AR im not going to be the next Craig Harrison, I just really want to build a rifle.

That was kind of the vibe i got from your post. Build that Psa kit and you will have fun at the range. Use it as a learning experience, as far as the building and function of the ar platform goes. Its a good start to the platform and i believe you will be happy. You should have no problem achieving 3" groups with decent ammo at 100 yards with that upper. Dont expect to much out of a sub $500 rifle and you won't be disappointed.
    Good luck and happy shooting!

Top Bottom