• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My friend and I would like to take our rucks and hike in someplace and primitive camp. I would also like to be able to pack my side arm and maybe a .22 rifle and even shoot some squirls or rabbits for dinner. We both love to fish also. I am in NW Indiana and my buddy is located south of kankakee IL. Is there any place we could go and do that sort of thing or is this a lost art and we are dreaming?

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    Don't know about the Northern part of the state, but in the South there is a vast amount of state and fed land that is open to hiking, hunting etc.. Suggest you contact your local DNR for some advice.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I can't think of too much up in that area. Head north to Chicago, then keep going to Milwaukee. Once you get there, keep going North. :dunno:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Squirrel and Rabbit season are both over in about 10 days. SO you better take some peanut butter and bread with ya. Come down south and hike/camp along the knobstone, or in Morgan Monroe, or down in the Hoosier.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    It is not going to be any time soon. We both are married with kids and need someplace close for a weekend thing. That is about all the our wives will let us have. I think it has been at least six years since our last camp. I will have to research it further. I do know of a spot in the UP.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well up here in NW Indiana there isn't much... You can get away with hiking around some of the larger farm properties in Newton, Jasper, LaPorte, or Stark counties but it will be mainly flat land with samll lots of tree's distributed throughout them. In the summer it will be lots of corn or soybean... Hunting would have to be done during proper legal seasons... You could get away with a outing if you do alittle meet and greet session with some of the local farmers up here.

Now if you want to leave out the hunting portion of the trip there is a neat trail down in Harrison-Crawford State Forest at the bottom of the state. It is a workout with full pack and you can camp on the trail... The Park doesn't have camping anymore I believe... I think they closed it last year, but the trail is still open and it is s lot of fun/work... Here's a link to it...

Harrison Crawford Adventure Trail

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Decent hiking for the two of you to meet up would probably be Shades State Park or Turkey Run State park. I'm pretty sure hunting is not allowed though. I think you can hunt in Morgan Monroe State park.
    Even the parks that let you hunt though often separate the areas you can hunt and camp for safety reason. You'll have to check into that
    Good luck to you guys.

astenftenagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Dubois Co.
    The Ferdinand Forest in Dubois CO. is a large woods, with a campsite and several lakes, primitive camping isn't actually allowed, but if you hike off far enough into the woods away from the camping area I'm sure you would be fine

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Jasper County chiming in here, and unless you're already in with a farmer, you'll have to head south. There just isn't anything.

Well up here in NW Indiana there isn't much... You can get away with hiking around some of the larger farm properties in Newton, Jasper, LaPorte, or Stark counties but it will be mainly flat land with samll lots of tree's distributed throughout them. In the summer it will be lots of corn or soybean... Hunting would have to be done during proper legal seasons... You could get away with a outing if you do alittle meet and greet session with some of the local farmers up here.

...this I don't really suggest. Most farmers, or even those who live on houses with a lot of land, such as myself, keep all four corners posted. Seeing two guys hiking through my fields at random isn't something we greet with...delight...around here. Good luck on a meet and greet, most farmers in Newton would be more than happy to have you. As for most of the guys in Jasper, not so much. Getting them to agree to let you walk to a deer that's run into their land and died is hard enough, let alone hiking and camping on it. I've never had a negative interaction with land owners from the surrounding counties. Must be something in the air.

FWIW. I would love to head down south myself this spring.

Good luck!

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    The Deam Wilderness in Hoosier National Forrest (South side of Lake Monroe) is a great destination - even a couple of caves.

sly14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Morgan Monroe state forrest does allow hunting in certain areas, there are two small ponds that you can fish. There is a primitive camp ground there are several hiking trails.
    hoosierhikerscouncil.org wiill give you information on the trails

Top Bottom