• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    In the closet of the spare room we use as an office. Can't get the safe through the door of the closet unless you remove the door to the safe first AND take the closet door off the hinges.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I went the smaller and more route. One is in the bedroom closet, so I use drawers more than hangers for my clothes. The other is in the basement. That is more as a fail safe (pun intended) in case of fire or tornado.

My only problem now is when I get a new gun do I put it in the easier to access safe or not?

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Re: Garage

I have thought building a cinder block vault in the garage surrounded by reinforced concrete pylons (similar to whats in front of stores) and reinforcing the cinder block through the post holes (whether with 4x4s, more concrete or rebar) might be a viable option for a safe in the garage.

Some home plans, ie Tri-Levels make it rather difficult for proper safe placement.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    so that answers the question - it aint in plain sight...

Im walking my house looking for a place to put it and drawing blanks so was trying to get a feel for other off the wall places I could put it..

Garage seemed stilly since it has the easiest door to penetrate..
    attic seemed too hot..

spare bedroom closet might work, but its clear on the wrong side of the house...

Just don't put it in the center of the room.......Over or next to a bearing wall if possible.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    In the basement in a locked room. Johnson's moved it in 15 years ago and it is going with the house if ever sold. Took 6 people to get it down the steps empty. Not concerned about it being stolen fully loaded.

Fire proof basement room with Diebold vault door is my secondary at an undisclosed location.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Not sure if mine was ever recovered from the bottom of the lake or not. Never play the game on the boat with other Ingo'ers of "whose safe sinks the fastest". Not even sure if I won that round or not!

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    For those that have safes inside the living spaces... Is the safe on carpet? I was told recently that the chemicals in carpets will rust the bottom of the safe.... Opinions?

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    My safe use to be in a converted garage sitting on carpet. When I moved it after 8 years it was no worse for wear. My dads safe has been on carpet the entire time as well and has not shown any issues of rust due to carpet.

Currently my safe is sitting in the "finished" Basement. Three guys and a truck to get it down there empty. Its going with the house if we ever move.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    For those that have safes inside the living spaces... Is the safe on carpet? I was told recently that the chemicals in carpets will rust the bottom of the safe.... Opinions?

I have 1/4" plywood under the file cabinet that is next to the safe, but I didn't think it necessary for the safe.

That's a pretty thick powder coat on the bottom of a new safe. I moved the safe to another room in my house after a couple years, and there was no indication of any corrosion to any part of it.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This may seem off topic, but I assure you it ties in with this thread.

What's your address?

Do you have an alarm?

What's your safe combo?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    some of the safe's I have been looking have a very nice finish and look like they could be left in plain sight if bolted properly, more or less curious if that was a bad idea.

Top Bottom