• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    some of the safe's I have been looking have a very nice finish and look like they could be left in plain sight if bolted properly, more or less curious if that was a bad idea.

If you get one that's very big, you can't really hide it anyway. Where can you hide a 30x48x65 anything?!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Aside from not putting it where it can be seen through a window, the front door or anywhere a casual visitor could see it, the real important thing is securing it. I think burglers will make quick search of anywhere in the house and a safe is too big to hide unless it's one of those little fit-between-the-studs-behind-a-mirror things. Life was simpler when I didn't have as many guns and I would just disassemble and hide the parts.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ... Life was simpler when I didn't have as many guns and I would just...

...leave them hanging on the wall at home in wooden gun racks, unsecured and doors hardly ever locked.

Believe it or not, I can remember when you didn't need to worry about someone breaking into your house when you were gone.
    Then again, almost everyone that wanted a job back then was working too.

"Oh the times, they are a changin'..."

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    My safe is about as far from an entry way as I can reasonable place it. Good doors and locks, alarm system, and decent safe... its not 100%, but its about as good as it can get.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My safe's location was based on the room that would burn out the quickest if there was a fire. Even though I have a fire safe, I always figured the shorter the time, the least amount of damage to the contents from heat.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I thought out there it was lockers... not safes. I'll have to ask my buddy Davey about it

Nope, Lockers is used as a euphemism for drowning or shipwrecks in which the sailor(s)'s and/or ship(s)'s remains are consigned to the bottom of the sea (to be sent to Davy Jones' Locker)

So my safes are in Davey Jones Locker.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Aside from not putting it where it can be seen through a window, the front door or anywhere a casual visitor could see it, the real important thing is securing it. I think burglers will make quick search of anywhere in the house and a safe is too big to hide unless it's one of those little fit-between-the-studs-behind-a-mirror things. Life was simpler when I didn't have as many guns and I would just disassemble and hide the parts.

MOST ESPECIALLY THIS^^^^^^^. You really don't want everyone looking in your windows or coming to your door knowing you have a safe, as having one usually means you have something interesting in it. Try to put it in a corner also, with the side opposite the hinges next to the 'ell' of the corner. This gives anyone of evil intent little room to work with a prybar and in combination with bolting to the substrate makes life difficult for them

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would think the safe in plane view would advertise there is something to steel? Especially a safe that's seen every time the garage door is opened.
    Even in the basement uncovered, contractors and service people would always be suspect.

91780034_scaled_336x448.jpg

Breaching the safe is quite easy if you know it's there. A gun to your head or your children's and that safe gets opened right now.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I would think the safe in plane view would advertise there is something to steel? Especially a safe that's seen every time the garage door is opened.
    Even in the basement uncovered, contractors and service people would always be suspect.

This caused a little anxiety for me a year ago. Had a new furnace installed and they had to get into the basement and under the house a couple times. Good enough guys, but loved to talk.

All I could do was cover all the shelving with sheets, including my safe. Looked odd. I told them the wife did it to keep dust off her holiday decoration junk.

Guess it worked.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I have a room in the home that houses most of the gun safes and tools/bench. The reloading and working on guns is in the barm a few hundred feet from the house.

Top Bottom